theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 15-11-17, 08:23 PM   #21
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS View Post
Car is repaired and I can select gears again

However... I have a coolant leak

Its coming from whatever is under the alternator... water pump at a guess? Not looked to close as its pitch black and saw it by torchlight
Car is repaired - Yey !
Coolant leak - Boo !
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 09:31 AM   #22
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
One step forwards another to the side!

I went to drive the ZS the other night after putting it all back together - flat tyre and battery!

Hopefully nothing too serious for you to fix on the coolant side!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 03:14 PM   #23
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Doesn't matter how much fluid I put in the header tank, it just flows straight out the water pump! So... yeah.. deffo water pump.

I have purchased 20 (I know I only need 5!) M6 bolts and a water pump with all O rings etc, for around £30, just waiting for it all to turn up now

As I see it I have two issues, otherwise its a straight forward change over.

1. People report the crap OE M6 bolts will be corroded and snap when I try to undo them, at this point its a 50/50 if they need drilling out on a bench drill or can be removed with pliers or similar.

2. Since this system is all Stainless coolant pipes and Samco silicone pipes there is no bleed screw... so I will have to work out another way of bleeding the system.

Oh and the F has issues with oil (none in the sump and it wont let me put anything in the filler pipe...) and the RX8 died a death and needs a new engine... leaving me with one working car, the 180 that desperately needs a respray and some other bodywork! - Still at least we are mobile still

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 03:52 PM   #24
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Something to be said there then for the 180 even after it took a prang recently. Get her sprayed up - show her some love.
Old 29-04-18, 08:11 AM   #25
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Some good news and some bad news...

I have been quiet on the T16 front for a while as a few weeks back (months!) we took the T16 up to Halifax and while there it started to idle odd and stalled a couple of times at lights. She made it home without drama though and then parked up and refuses to start at all since.

The other week I decided to check her out and see what I could find, I pressure tested the engine to find only 1-2 PSI in all cylinders. So thats it, dead engine.

Now when I picked the car up it was suffering, what I now know was, boost cut due to the boost being set to 24psi. I suspect what has happened is that the ring lands have gone as is when you run over 12 psi for any long time (Pete ran 14psi since the rebuild).

Since then I have been quietly amassing parts, I have some wossner pistons on PEC rods (weighted set), new big end bearings, head gasket kit, sump gasket kit (which should fix a small oil leak it has as well!) and new piston rings for the wossner. Also purchased a few new tools to help me fit all this (pistons ring pliers for example).

All that is left is new stretch bolts and then I can begin the rebuild

Then I think she can go into the booth for a much needed paint refresh!

I will keep this updated as an when I start the process.

Old 29-04-18, 10:10 AM   #26
LukeZS96

LukeZS96 is on a distinguished road
Not great news on the engine front, atleast you're trying to rebuild it rather than swapping it for another T-16 engine. Best of luck with it anyway, hope to see it running dead on again
LukeZS96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-18, 10:01 PM   #27
mattie007

mattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nice
Good luck Sam, been a few dramas with this car and the 180. We must really love ZS's!
Old 29-04-18, 11:10 PM   #28
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Good on you giving it a go ...
Old 30-04-18, 11:33 AM   #29
ZS
IT Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie007 View Post
Good luck Sam, been a few dramas with this car and the 180. We must really love ZS's!
I think, for me, I need to concentrate on one car - Buying the 6 allows me to do just that I hope - also means the 180 needs to be shifted really, which is a shame as it has a lot of nice parts on and a decent engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Good on you giving it a go ...
I've rebuilt (new pistons\liners etc) a K series engine or two before, so I am hoping there is nothing too alien to me when I pull the T series apart. In theory this should make it a very good, reliable engine. Then its paint and rust prevention.

Of course there is also the option to take parts from the 180 to upgrade the T16 as well... Rear Disks maybe? Front Fogs? Maybe a few other goodies....

Old 30-04-18, 12:34 PM   #30
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like this one is keeping you on your toes as well - just as well you like spending the time on them

fingers crossed that the rebuild goes to plan and nothing else unexpected is thrown up!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote