AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 23-07-15, 12:28 PM   #131
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
I've been swamped with work all day so not been able to get out yet either - I've got the injectors boxed, but will keep hold of them until you are in a position to test it. It might be that I am ready to try again sooner than you, so saves us a bit of postage.

ping me on FB or here once you are in a position to swap em in I reckon will be the best bet.

I think mine needs a new IC hose - it is looking like boost leak is not a long time away from happening - and where it is, will be a bumper off job I reckon!

The 'joys' of project cars
To be honest, I think that is a good idea. Don't want you to send them under false hope of what I'll have chance to do with them in the near future.

All sorts of ideas at the moment about which way I'm going to take the car now I'll have the luxury of it being a second car. Some of which are pretty naughty but we'll see.

Hope you get the boost leak sorted
Old 31-07-19, 08:39 PM   #132
ZS Phil

It's been 4 years since I updated this thread!
Upon our return from the road trip in 2015 I thought there were a few "niggles" to sort with the car. A proper strip down revealed a bit more work than that was needed! So much so in fact that the sensible thing to do would have been to scrap it. Being a sentimental old fool, that was never going to happen.
So, after lots and lots of work (which I will try to document with pictures at some point), 4 years later she was back in action.
I've done less than 100 miles in her since the full rebuild but just had to get her on the dyno.

On well used SDI injectors and a "max fuel" map she pulled a healthy 203HP / 373Nm.

Can update the spec list if needed.
Old 31-07-19, 10:07 PM   #133
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post

On well used SDI injectors and a "max fuel" map she pulled a healthy 203HP / 373Nm.

Can update the spec list if needed.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-19, 10:17 PM   #134
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Upon our return from the road trip in 2015 I thought there were a few "niggles" to sort with the car..
Sounds like me and my MGF - we returned from Rome in June 2016 needing to replace a holed wishbone, 3 years later, a scraped TF and more money than the car is really worth and she is now back on the road supported on TF running gear.
Old 01-08-19, 11:07 AM   #135
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
I'm sure there must be more to the rebuild than just maxing out the mapping side, I'm not aware of many people who'd been able to get more than 180bhp out of SDI's...

So you've either found a hidden thing no-one else has, or you've done something sneaky

still 200bhp and 275lbsft must be a nice drive!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 09:05 PM   #136
ZS Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
I'm sure there must be more to the rebuild than just maxing out the mapping side, I'm not aware of many people who'd been able to get more than 180bhp out of SDI's...

So you've either found a hidden thing no-one else has, or you've done something sneaky

still 200bhp and 275lbsft must be a nice drive!
The map is still the same as when I was running SDIs with the 2056s turbo which would have given 180 bhp at the very best.
Its now got a really healthy low mileage engine and fuel pump and the turbo has been hybridised into a 2060.
I think the SDIs have more potential than people give them credit for as long as the gas can get out!
With the standard 2056s turbo at 30 psi, EMP was about 45 psi I seem to remember (it was a good while ago now!). With the latest turbo at 30 psi, EMP spikes at 28 psi. 38mm external waste gate is helping massively with this as well as a decent 60mm billet compressor wheel.
I'll have to find a way of getting the graph up, it's a really nice curve.
Did you ever get yours back on the road? You were going vnt I seem to remember, did anything ever come of the controllers in the end?
Old 01-08-19, 09:11 PM   #137
ZS Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Sounds like me and my MGF - we returned from Rome in June 2016 needing to replace a holed wishbone, 3 years later, a scraped TF and more money than the car is really worth and she is now back on the road supported on TF running gear.
At least you got an upgrade out of it! I just bury my head in the sand when it comes to money spent vs what these cars are worth. Logic doesn't come into the equation anymore haha.
Old 02-08-19, 10:28 AM   #138
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
The map is still the same as when I was running SDIs with the 2056s turbo which would have given 180 bhp at the very best.
Its now got a really healthy low mileage engine and fuel pump and the turbo has been hybridised into a 2060.
I think the SDIs have more potential than people give them credit for as long as the gas can get out!
With the standard 2056s turbo at 30 psi, EMP was about 45 psi I seem to remember (it was a good while ago now!). With the latest turbo at 30 psi, EMP spikes at 28 psi. 38mm external waste gate is helping massively with this as well as a decent 60mm billet compressor wheel.
I'll have to find a way of getting the graph up, it's a really nice curve.
Did you ever get yours back on the road? You were going vnt I seem to remember, did anything ever come of the controllers in the end?
Interesting - a lot of people have stuck bigger turbo's on, but really struggled to break 180-190 with SDI's regardless of the turbo used.
Guess the existing manifold is a big issue.... I did think about looping in a "blow off" pipe to divert some exhaust gas while I was running the tiny hybrid, but felt the control of it to not loose too much boost was going to be an issue....
Going "big" on the exhaust side with an external waste gate solves that one tho

Bit of a long story with mine, but it's off the road currently, all the parts are plumbed in; controller included, though my car required a complete re-evaluation of the approach due to a very dirty signal for some of the critical sensors...(without those working properly, no decent vane control) plus a few physical issues with the exhaust manifold and turbo...

But we're getting much closer so shouldn't be too much longer now.
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 02-08-19, 11:15 AM   #139
ZS Phil

Yeh, I had the same issue with my VNT, only managed 170ish I think with SDIs, never had it on the dyno with SDIs and the 2056s but it didn't feel any quicker with the SDIs in but at least it didn't keep sooting up a vnt mech!
With 200tdis and the vnt (1852) with loads of smoke it did 198bhp but that was with high EMPs and Kris did something to the rollers to encourage the boost to build (added more resistance somehow). With the rolling road in its normal setting it only managed 180 because the boost wouldn't build in the same way as it did on the road... The joys of vnt control as it sounds like you are discovering. I'm sure you'll get there though, would be interesting to do a rolling road session together and compare notes once it's in that position.
Next step for me is more fuel, going back to experiment with 300tdis which are on the shelf, just need to get them set up with higher opening points. Not sure how well they will work but still not found anywhere that can hone the standard/SDI nozzles which would be my preferred choice.

As a side note, how are we uploading photos these days?
Old 05-08-19, 02:19 PM   #140
p_b82
Site Supporter

Yeah - it was a case of "do we continue to persevere with these issues, or just take that step back and generate our own signal" ... we've done the latter, and things are looking up.

I'll hopefully have some figures of it on SDI's and then the custom injectors - as you say clean burn is more critical with VNT, so hopefully we get some good figures that don't require de-coking every 200 miles
the comparison of the curves will be interesting, I've always been worried that bigger units is pushing boost/torque too high up the range for every-day driving.

I use google photos; you can share the direct link in img tags if you open the "long link" by viewing the image itself.
Others I think use one of the apps that enables photos to be attached using that, but I can't comment on it.
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports