theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 01-12-10, 02:48 PM   #1
rbull51

rbull51 is on a distinguished road
Alarm randomly going off....!

My alarm starts going off for no aparent reason. It usually happens between 30 seconds and a minute after i have locked it. It doesnt happen all the time but has happened quite a lot recently. Has anybody else had this problem?
rbull51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 03:00 PM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Is this happening off the hand fob or key lock? If you haven't tried just locking with the key, try it, it'll help to eliminate something. I found that the bonnet latches didn't always catch on both sides of the slam panel. The offside one was sticky which led to the bonnet sensor not closing properly, thus setting the alarm off.
Old 01-12-10, 05:34 PM   #3
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

If its a Mk2 could be soggy sounder, or in this weather icy sounder. Water gets in a shorts the internals of the sounder unit.

Easy fix, take off sounder, split, dry out, reseal.

Knowing that would have saved me ?300 odd.

Old 01-12-10, 05:52 PM   #4
Zippy Saloon

My MkI was doing this 2 years ago, found it to be corrosion in PCB of internal sensor.
Some pics here:
http://www.zscentral.com/phpbb/viewt...t=alarm#p82598

Locking with key put me on right track - knew it had to be something to do with movement detectors (locking with key sets alarm but without internal sensors activated, for if you leave animal in car or something)

Last edited by Zippy Saloon; 01-12-10 at 05:54 PM.
Old 23-03-11, 10:11 AM   #5
shiney1235

shiney1235 is on a distinguished road
Hi, I have just recently brought a 03 MG ZS, and have found the alarm keeps going off for no reason, have checked the battery and tightened the battery cables. And have also took off the horn so it doesnt make any noise to prevent annoying the neighbours lol.
Other than that im stumped as to what to do.
shiney1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-11, 10:48 AM   #6
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney1235 View Post
Hi, I have just recently brought a 03 MG ZS, and have found the alarm keeps going off for no reason, have checked the battery and tightened the battery cables. And have also took off the horn so it doesnt make any noise to prevent annoying the neighbours lol.
Other than that im stumped as to what to do.
Check the bonnet catches first... then lock with key only, this will disable the interior sensors...

If it still goes off after that then there are other places to look

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-11, 11:10 AM   #7
shiney1235

thanks, well im off to work now so will have look 2moz, but having a brief look the boonet does spring slightly but looks shut if that makes sense, and as im new to mgs were would the catches be?
sorry for being a pain.
Old 23-03-11, 12:03 PM   #8
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney1235 View Post
thanks, well im off to work now so will have look 2moz, but having a brief look the boonet does spring slightly but looks shut if that makes sense, and as im new to mgs were would the catches be?
sorry for being a pain.
If you look at the underside of the bonnet you will see the "springs" with pins in... these locate into some black plastic holes in the slam panel...

The black plastic things are the things that break and jam open... which causes the bonnet to move (if one has gone but not the other)

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-11, 11:41 AM   #9
shiney1235

well the alarm hasnt gone off as i know of. but its done this before, been quiet for a few days then goes off. ive started locking it with the key so maybe a problem on the interior side of things. but either way thanks for the help.
Old 24-03-11, 12:02 PM   #10
Jem

Jem is on a distinguished road
I had this problem vospers said it was to sensitive so they turned it down a bit,Seemed to do the trick well thats what i thought it happened again 6months later first of all they said they was noting wrong with it then they said it was the sensors which got replaced,Not happened since they got replaced.

I found it would go off more when it was hot inside the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
How can I be so thirsty in the morning, when I drank so much last night?:
Jem is offline   Reply With Quote