theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 20-06-09, 08:34 PM   #1
TjP

TjP is on a distinguished road
First "run in" with a ZR

Yeah... it had a "Turbo" badge on the back but Im not convinced it was hehe.

Caught up with him on some newly laid tarmac (he was going carefully). Soon as we got back onto the old stuff I saw hazy fumes coming out of his zorst so knew he was booting it lol. I was in 5th and feeling lazy so just put my foot down... he gained a lead by about 30m so I thought fook it, put it in 4th (yes, 4th!) and gained pretty much the whole 30m back on one bend lol (had to brake on the exit as not to rear end him ) despite him going wide on entry, and me not.

After that I was feeling cocky so left it in 3rd trailing the throttle at about 6k rpm right up behind him. He had no chance of getting away lol.

Coming out of the next small town he booted it again so I went for 2nd this time so show him what a real Zed can do Most of the time I was half throttle, and cornering... well, the 180 could have soared past on the corners if it was the sort of road where you can see whats coming (ie. no hedges.)

Gave him a flash of me lights as he turned off, as you do.

I guess it was a 105 - definately wasnt a 160 anyway cause it had a single tail pipe.

So yeah... maybe it was the extra power I had, but I dont think so because of how much ground I was able to gain on the bends. I like the ZR but wouldnt buy one to face off other cars, I dont think.
Old 20-06-09, 08:40 PM   #2
shroonie29

shroonie29 is on a distinguished road
Could it of been a TD?
Some were only 101BHP iirc

Shroon

"In the MG ZS, the relationship between car and driver borders on the intimate"
"The surprise is that the MG ZS feels right straight away and stays accurate and poised"
shroonie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-09, 08:42 PM   #3
TjP

My first thought was that it was a diesel because of the haze it put out as he put his foot down initially, but it was a clear haze not black soot. Also it had a straight tail pipe (not sure, but I thought most diesels have a downturned tip?).
Old 20-06-09, 09:11 PM   #4
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
All standard ZR's have single tailpipes, the only tell tale sign of a 160 is that they have a chrome exhaust shield, all the others have colour coded ones, whereas the facelift ZR's have chrome exhaust shields, so spotting a 160 there is harder.

KevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-09, 09:21 PM   #5
TjP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevG View Post
All standard ZR's have single tailpipes, the only tell tale sign of a 160 is that they have a chrome exhaust shield, all the others have colour coded ones, whereas the facelift ZR's have chrome exhaust shields, so spotting a 160 there is harder.
Are you sure? Im sure all the 160s I've seen have had 2 pipes (on one side, not like one each side of the car).

As for the shield, hmmm, I can picture it with and without the chrome so Im not sure what it was lol.
Old 20-06-09, 09:39 PM   #6
michaelb

michaelb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevG View Post
ZR160's came out of the factory with twin exhausts....i know cause i fitted a ZR one to my 25.

although i guess most will now have rotted away so will probably have aftermarket ones.

the chrome heatshield was optional on all models and most owners will probably have had these fitted after.....again i fitted to my 25.
michaelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-09, 10:15 PM   #7
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
ZR160's came out of the factory with twin exhausts....i know cause i fitted a ZR one to my 25
I stand corrected

here is a Pic of a said Mk1 ZR160

Mk2 160

KevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-09, 06:28 AM   #8
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I once managed to keep up with a car badged as a ZR on a long straight bit of dual carrageway driving my mums Rover 114sli
Old 21-06-09, 08:34 AM   #9
TjP

Yeah I was left a bit undecided about the straight line acceleration of the ZR. Like I said, I was able to catch up with it in 4th gear when he was probably using 2nd and 3rd. But then when I went for 2nd coming out of one town, there wasnt a HUGE amount of difference in acceleration - it took me maybe 4 or 5 seconds before I was really gaining on him. So having said that, I'd say the main difference was above 40mph where the ZS just has much more grunt to keep the speed rising, but up to 40mph there wasnt a whole lot in it.
Old 21-06-09, 05:20 PM   #10
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
the OE exhuast is downturned on all the L-series drvs, but a lot are swapped off for straight through boxes... no need for back pressure means soot over the bumper rather than the road
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote