theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 07-03-16, 05:29 PM   #51
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by top_man_eldo View Post
......always wanted to have a go at welding....
Check out your local FE college, I've been doing city and guilds at evening classes, £300 for a term, decent equipment to use and I can weld 10 times better than when I started.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 06:04 PM   #52
top_man_eldo

top_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Check out your local FE college, I've been doing city and guilds at evening classes, £300 for a term, decent equipment to use and I can weld 10 times better than when I started.
Cheers, I'll look into that for definite.

2016 Subaru WRX STi
top_man_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 06:06 PM   #53
Big-Jay

Big-Jay has a spectacular aura aboutBig-Jay has a spectacular aura about
Took the passenger side wing and skirt off today, just as bad as the other side unfortunately, I was expecting this though -

Here's the valence reinforcement panel after a quick wire brush -

Jacking point before -

After, sprayed some zinc on to stop it rusting in the mean time -

Also the bottom corner didn't look too good this side either -

Rest of the sill looked sound though -

Same can't be said for the metal brackets that hold the skirt on, crumbled to nothing when I removed it, will look at getting some stainless ones made up or buy some off the shelf if I can find any.

Looks like I'll be busy with the welder this weekend !

Jay.
Big-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 06:15 PM   #54
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
I remember my old 02 plate ZS was looking rough on the jacking points and that was 2010 ish, these cars are old now fair play to you for doing this though a lot of people would scrap
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 06:39 PM   #55
Big-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Well .... at least you found it and have the ability to repair it. For me - it'd get spotted at the MOT and then cost me the value of the car to get it repaired.

Yeh that's usually the case, part of the reason I taught myself how to do my own bodywork and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_man_eldo View Post
Good job there, always wanted to have a go at welding. Might be worth having a look inside the inner sills and checking what they're like. Mine had rotted out severely.
Cheers mate,

From what I can see the inner sills are looking good, looks like someone's put plenty of wax in there in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
Christ that's scary seeing holes in her like that but that's proper job repairs your doing bud. Good work!
Cheers Gary,

It's all essential work unfortunately, but after its done it'll be a solid rust free ZS for many years to come hopefully !

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
It'll probably be quicker spot welding in the new panel than seam welding all the way around the patches.
That was my thinking. I don't actually own a spot welder so I'll be plug welding them on instead. Essentially does the same job, just have a bit of linishing down to do afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged_Z View Post
I remember my old 02 plate ZS was looking rough on the jacking points and that was 2010 ish, these cars are old now fair play to you for doing this though a lot of people would scrap
Cheers bud,

Would be out of the question to scrap her, it's really quite an easy/minor job to be honest and when it's done it should be solid for a good few years !
Old 07-03-16, 07:02 PM   #56
Rockey5uk2001

Rockey5uk2001 has a spectacular aura aboutRockey5uk2001 has a spectacular aura about
Ps thanks for three wheels; )
Rockey5uk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 07:06 PM   #57
Big-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockey5uk2001 View Post
Ps thanks for three wheels; )
Ahh, missed your comment dude !

So your the guy that came for the 11 spokes then, small world lmao !

Hope you enjoy them bud !

Jay.
Old 07-03-16, 07:33 PM   #58
Rockey5uk2001

Rockey5uk2001 has a spectacular aura aboutRockey5uk2001 has a spectacular aura about
Still in the shed at the mo.... don't know how to break it to the wife....
Rockey5uk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 08:55 PM   #59
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockey5uk2001 View Post
Still in the shed at the mo.... don't know how to break it to the wife....
Tell her it was cheaper than new tyres?

Or when I got the 18's it just so happened to be the same weekend that I sold and delivered an exhaust, it was really lucky to find the guy who'd bought the exhaust had some wheels for sale or so I told Mrs TC.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 09:13 PM   #60
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
That's the second set of sideskirt brackets that have rotted away, sure Kev replaced them all about 2 years before I bought it.
Is it a build up of grime that causes the rust at that part of the jacking points/sills? Would have thought that those areas would be protected by the skirts and the exposed areas would be more susceptible.
Lesson learnt, in future remove sideskirts whenever treating zs's for rust!