theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 10-07-14, 04:12 PM   #1
Snoopye

Snoopye is on a distinguished road
Something draining the battery

Hi i have a mk1 180 hatch and as i work away alot everytime someone goes to start it the battery has drained. This happens after a couple of days which osnt normal especially for a new battery. Im wondering if anyone has had the same problem?
Snoopye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 04:15 PM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

My derv will last a couple of weeks and then will need a slave battery to kick it over.

I bought a solar trickle charger off ebay, that seems to work. £13.50 ish.

Think it the clock, alarm etc that drains it down.

Suppose its worth checking all the earth points and battery terminals are tight and clean.

Old 10-07-14, 04:29 PM   #3
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
It's worth checking the glove box light, and boot light aren't staying on, the battery shouldn't be going flat in a few days.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 09:05 PM   #4
easytime

easytime is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately this is normal. I have been struggling for a decade with this. I can get 5 days max before it is so low that it will not start. 7 days and it is below 6 volts and drained. If you are laying her up for a while disconnect the battery or hook up a trickle charger.
easytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 09:15 PM   #5
M17TT180

M17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by easytime View Post
Unfortunately this is normal. I have been struggling for a decade with this. I can get 5 days max before it is so low that it will not start. 7 days and it is below 6 volts and drained. If you are laying her up for a while disconnect the battery or hook up a trickle charger.
Surely that's not normal! I've had 4 zs's on the road and the batterys have never gone flat.

Funny tho that I only had the astra a couple of months and the battery on that died lol

Lots of second- hand parts click HERE
Project Typhoon
M17TT180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 09:34 PM   #6
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Alternator definitely working? As said check connection points. I parked mine up for a few months over a snowy winter one year and it still fired up alright.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 10:06 PM   #7
easytime

easytime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M17TT180 View Post
Surely that's not normal! I've had 4 zs's on the road and the batterys have never gone flat.

Funny tho that I only had the astra a couple of months and the battery on that died lol
It is for mine and has been since new. They use battery when parked up, it is not the alternator as I have a volt meter in the car dash.
easytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 10:14 PM   #8
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by easytime View Post
It is for mine and has been since new. They use battery when parked up, it is not the alternator as I have a volt meter in the car dash.
All 7 of my previous ZS's have not suffered from this issue... So I don't think it's normal. Are you sure your battery is rated correctly for the car? And also that your aftermarket head unit or amp (if fitted) isn't pulling the power when the car is off?

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 10:23 PM   #9
M17TT180

M17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS View Post
All 7 of my previous ZS's have not suffered from this issue... So I don't think it's normal. Are you sure your battery is rated correctly for the car? And also that your aftermarket head unit or amp (if fitted) isn't pulling the power when the car is off?
That was my thought

Lots of second- hand parts click HERE
Project Typhoon
M17TT180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 08:36 AM   #10
ZRed

ZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the rough
The wife? Bzzzzzzzzzzz

I`ll get me coat.....