theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 19-03-09, 11:17 PM   #1
mikesezgreen

mikesezgreen is on a distinguished road
A steer in the right direction

I bought a new leather steering wheel earlier and was wondering how difficult they are to change?

Will i need a special adapter or will a reguler socket set be okay?

I know there are threads in the how too section about changing the airbag but i'm a bit of an ameteur when it comes to working on the zed...
Old 20-03-09, 11:32 AM   #2
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
i have not done it myself, but i have wheel sitting waiting for my car to return home to do... assuming it is a ZS\45 wheel.. the TF or ZR ones dont quite fit

haynes book of lies does not mention any special tools, so it is just a case of make sure everything is straight.. disconnect airbag and undo the screws\bolts pull it off, and then slide the new on in its place carefully and refit opposite of removal
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-09, 12:14 PM   #3
RalphG

RalphG is on a distinguished road
You need an Allen key for the airbag screws (discharge system for at least 15 minutes) and a wheel brace, or similar sized socket, for the main steering wheel nut.

The ZR and TF wheels will physically fit in place, but they will be further down the spline and the indicators will not automatically cancel correctly.

By how much do those who have gained by war fall short of the number of those who have perished in it? No doubt you will reply that there can be no comparison, that the dead cannot be numbered, while the living who have been rewarded may be summed up with three figures.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-09, 12:24 PM   #4
dave87

dave87 is on a distinguished road
if you fit a ZR/TF wheel without some adapter ring to make sure the wheel sits in the correct position on the spline you will never get it off.
dave87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-09, 01:24 PM   #5
TjP

TjP is on a distinguished road
If its a leather ZS wheel it should swap over fine, just make sure to disconnect the battery and leave it for 15+ mins before you start (lest the airbag go off in your face!) and also park the car with the wheels perfectly straight.

If its a TF wheel, you'll need an adapter. I put mine on without the adapter at first, drove around a bit then noticed the indicators werent cancelling and then remembered the adapter which was in the packaging I had thrown in the bin! As above, it took a few mins pulling to get the ****** back off!

Last edited by TjP; 20-03-09 at 01:28 PM.
TjP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-09, 01:25 PM   #6
rbull51

rbull51 is on a distinguished road
I changed my steering wheel a while ago for a lovely black / yellow one. It was for the zs and it was very easy to change. As mentioned before, disconnect the battery and leave for about 15 mins, then behind the steering wheel there is 2 torx type screws holding the airbag in. Undo them and disconnect the air bag. Then just undo the main nut and swap!
rbull51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-09, 06:01 PM   #7
mikesezgreen

mikesezgreen is on a distinguished road
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=110335879807

Cheers for the input guy's (yet again a great help)...i posted the link to the steering wheel...it seems to be the one for the ZS as i've noticed the TF one is smaller (although nicer) i just didn't fancy mucking about with cutting the bottom...lazzzzy..lol
Old 20-03-09, 06:11 PM   #8
afcbadam

afcbadam is on a distinguished road
i brought and fitted the exact same wheel. fitted perfectly and quickly. makes a very nice difference over the standard one.

Regal Autosport Astra GSI Turbo 304 bhp 356 lb/ft

Thorney motorsport Vectra vxr 305bhp 398lbft

Now its time to build a big turbo MG ZS

afcbadam is offline   Reply With Quote