theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 28-09-09, 06:16 PM   #1
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Wink A quick warning.

After a night out, driving back at 1.00 in the morning, noticed a car behind, with the spoiler and tints I can't see much out of the back window at the best of times. Anyway blue lights come on so I pull over and a PC says "do you know you have a rear light out, turn the lights back on, get out and have a look"

I dont know if its just me but all those instructions got me going.

First thing I did was hit the door lock button, or had I already done it? So hit it again and locked the doors, so hit it again to undo it, by then I'm thinking this is looking bad. Next the lights, do I turn the engine on, or will they come on with the engine off.

Get out and look at the lights with the officer, yes its out o/s rear, any spare bulbs noooo, so I popped the boot, hit the rear of the light cluster and on it came.

After name address and age he waved us on our way.

Morale of the story, have a walk round the car and check your lights, I only do it for the MOT, but now will check on a monthly basis.
peterzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-09, 06:18 PM   #2
grimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
After a night out, driving back at 1.00 in the morning, noticed a car behind, with the spoiler and tints I can't see much out of the back window at the best of times. Anyway blue lights come on so I pull over and a PC says "do you know you have a rear light out, turn the lights back on, get out and have a look"

I dont know if its just me but all those instructions got me going.

First thing I did was hit the door lock button, or had I already done it? So hit it again and locked the doors, so hit it again to undo it, by then I'm thinking this is looking bad. Next the lights, do I turn the engine on, or will they come on with the engine off.

Get out and look at the lights with the officer, yes its out o/s rear, any spare bulbs noooo, so I popped the boot, hit the rear of the light cluster and on it came.

After name address and age he waved us on our way.

Morale of the story, have a walk round the car and check your lights, I only do it for the MOT, but now will check on a monthly basis.
Happened to me that almost exactly the sods made me do the seven day present stuff.
Old 28-09-09, 06:33 PM   #3
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
lol funny you should mention it picked the gf up from town the other night and she said one of my headlights were out, checked in the morning and it was mysteriously working again. Although on the way in I must have driven past 5-6 police cars as I thought I hadnt seen so many for ages!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-09, 07:19 PM   #4
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
SOunds like a dodgy filament in the bulb, better to replace it.

KevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-09, 07:49 PM   #5
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevG View Post
SOunds like a dodgy filament in the bulb, better to replace it.
Now replaced, the old one was 5w so replaced it with another 5w, on the back of the bulb holder its saying 10 w??? All the other bulbs marked up as 21w which looks OK.

Had an earth problem after replacing the bulb, when you put the flasher on' all bulbs glimmered and flashed, but a bit of wd40 and pulling on the connector sorted it.

Old 28-09-09, 08:29 PM   #6
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
5 watts is fine, most rear sidelights are 5w, 10 watt is like the maximum, just see if the other side is 5 watt or 10 watt, and yes all you other buibs should be 21watts
Old 28-09-09, 08:36 PM   #7
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchyp View Post
5 watts is fine, most rear sidelights are 5w, 10 watt is like the maximum, just see if the other side is 5 watt or 10 watt, and yes all you other buibs should be 21watts

I did check, and both sides seem the same, I changed the brake light bulb as well as it was looking a bit iffy.

MOT on Thursday, so I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't go into all bulbs flash mode!!!

Old 28-09-09, 08:42 PM   #8
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
lol, i just changed all my bulbs in a 1er too, thought if 1's gone not long til the rest go
Old 28-09-09, 09:37 PM   #9
will-w

will-w is on a distinguished road
Still can't get mine to work, both number plate lights are out and a rear light too...

I noticed one of the number plate bulbs was dead, so I decided to replace both... From then neither of them appear to work!!

Driving home from work in the dark now, so is not a great situation to be in

Derv power baby!

will-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-09, 09:40 PM   #10
Ritchy
technically an expertish

fuse? dodgy contacts?, wiring had water ingress