theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 29-07-12, 04:19 PM   #1
Mossy88

Mossy88 is on a distinguished road
Still not starting guys,any advice?..

The mg that I have is the 1.8 zs. Now the problem is all from fitting a new head after hg failure, a guy put it back together but was wrong the exhaust cam was 180 out so wouldn't fire up.

I stripped it of its cam belt and realigned them how they should be and refitted the leads the right way around.. There is new plugs in and there is fuel getting in but some reason it's still not firing up,

Can someone please shed some light on this and where I'm going around,

Thanks. Danny
Mossy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-12, 04:29 PM   #2
MG6Turbo
Banned

MG6Turbo is on a distinguished road
Firstly have you got a spark ? If not then it could be a cam or crank shaft sensor issue.

If you have a spark and got fuel then next step is a compression test. It could be that your hydraulic lifters have locked out. A tow start would sort this but I would want to be a 100% sure that the timing is right before attempting this.

G
MG6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-12, 05:02 PM   #3
Mossy88

What's the best way to check for a spark? Also the timing is spot on mate turned over twice by hand and they're All good. Is there Anything else that I can try to eliminate?. I've cleaned the cam sensor but not sure where the crank one is and how to get it out.. It's a new head would it not have a light oil coating on the lifters?
Old 29-07-12, 05:17 PM   #4
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Has the battery still got a good charge in it, if they start to run down can do funny things.
Old 29-07-12, 09:52 PM   #5
Mossy88

Yea mate its brand new,, it turns over fine but sounds as though there is no spark happening its winding me right up now
Old 29-07-12, 10:20 PM   #6
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Mine was turning over - just not catching.

Took out the cam sensor and cleaned it up - worked once again then packed in.

Changed the sensor - for a second hand one - all good -

The sensor being faulty won't necessarily be visible.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-12, 01:22 AM   #7
andy-81

andy-81 has a spectacular aura aboutandy-81 has a spectacular aura about
i know its a bit of a daft question but are the plugs around the inlet manifold all connected or plugged in the wrong way round?
andy-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-12, 06:56 AM   #8
Mossy88

Yes mate theyl only go on one way wont they?. I can see why these are not popular cars now.. Its really gripping me i just want it on the road before i drive back to the uk on wednesday.
Old 30-07-12, 07:43 AM   #9
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
As your looking under the car the crank sensor is above the exhaust pipe in the side of the gearbox bell housing...

Looks similar to the cam sensor, quite difficult to get at as the manifold means you can't move the exhaust pipe...

Might be silly question, but have you pushed the fuel cut off switch in the cabin incase it was knocked at all? and also have you activated and deactivated the alarm/immobiliser incase that has kicked in? - oh and checked all earth points and fuses are clean and in one peice?

Hope that was of some help... - TBH they are fairly easy engines to work on, but they got a bit of bad press and now people seem to expect things to go wrong and don't have as much patience with them...

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-12, 08:03 AM   #10
theboynoz

theboynoz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy88 View Post
What's the best way to check for a spark? Also the timing is spot on mate turned over twice by hand and they're All good. Is there Anything else that I can try to eliminate?. I've cleaned the cam sensor but not sure where the crank one is and how to get it out.. It's a new head would it not have a light oil coating on the lifters?
Can get some tools from a car shop I.E. Halfrauds (damn it, using them twice in one day) i think the laser range of tools has some spark plug thingys (techinical, i know!) they are red an sit on top of the plug, then the lead connects to that and you can see if the spark order is correct, this would therefore also tell you if the spark is present at all!

Try them.....

Drives:
ZS MK2 - XPG 120+, Climate Control, Leather/Alcantara, standard so long as you ignore the backbox, and brilliant fun to drive!
Mondeo MK3 LX - Silver, family runabout, 1.8 16v, standard, does the job!

theboynoz is offline   Reply With Quote