theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 30-07-12, 08:17 AM   #11
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
I used to just remove a spark plug, re-attach the HT lead and then hold the plug against the block, then get a friend to crank the engine if its sparking then its kinda obvious... lol (From my Bike days... which reminds me, must get the BSA back on the road...)

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-12, 08:18 AM   #12
Mossy88

Mossy88 is on a distinguished road
Ok cheers would it work by having the plug connected and putting it to the body of the engine to see if imgetting a spark? And ive checked the fuel cut off,i activate then deactivate the immobiliser to try it but its still the same, is the crank sensor held in by one 8mm bolt like the csm sensor? The fuses in the bay are all good mate is there any to check inside the cabin? And is there any earth points in particular to check? Also the connections will only go in certain connectors or am i wrong?
Mossy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-12, 08:23 AM   #13
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy88 View Post
Ok cheers would it work by having the plug connected and putting it to the body of the engine to see if imgetting a spark?
See my previous comment

Quote:
is the crank sensor held in by one 8mm bolt like the csm sensor?
Yes - careful though, I broke the last one I tried to take out as it was such a tight fit and an awkward place to get to :'(

Quote:
The fuses in the bay are all good mate is there any to check inside the cabin?
There are some engine management fuses under the Steering column IIRC...

Quote:
And is there any earth points in particular to check? Also the connections will only go in certain connectors or am i wrong?
The main earth point is the one that connects to the gearbox via the clutch slave bracket...

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-12, 08:33 AM   #14
Mossy88

Ok thanks il check later todAy i hope it runs now, i reset all the timing marks again yesterday and theyre spot on,im just hoping the lad who put it back together before hasnt damaged anything.
Old 31-07-12, 01:05 PM   #15
Mossy88

Well the guy who put it back together last time had put the exhaust pulley on the wrong way on the locating dowel so the cam was 180 out, hes tried starting it a few times aswell so would that have done any damage? I had the belt off again and done timing and put the pulleys on the right way around it didnt start so its in the garage now having a compression test done
Old 31-07-12, 01:12 PM   #16
MG6Turbo
Banned

MG6Turbo is on a distinguished road
It shouldnt have caused any damage, however, have you confirmed you have a spark and fuel?

If you have then its a hydraulic lifter issue which will only be sorted if they are removed and emptied or tow starting the car.

G
MG6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-12, 04:19 PM   #17
Mossy88

Yes theres defo a spark and fuel mate,, just wondering do the lifters stop it from starting?? If so how because ive nevermheard of that before,, mwhen the lad tried to start it before my mate said it tried to start then just wouldnt and it would only turn over.
Old 31-07-12, 04:23 PM   #18
Mossy88

Also just wondering what would cause it to not spark?
Old 31-07-12, 05:20 PM   #19
Mossy88

Cars still in garage and theyve said theres no compression and quoted €1000 to fix it.. Does anyone no what the cause maybe?. And could bump starting fix this and the possible lifter issue?..
Old 31-07-12, 05:53 PM   #20
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
Id be rechecking timing, and if it does have no compession its whoever did the job in the first place who should be paying, if the lifters have been mixed the valves may be staying open but usually these would drain enough over night, if timing spot on keep trying cranking gently pressing throttle fully on / off it may catch, then after around 5 minutes running at about 2000 revs it should start to sound more normal

Last edited by Ritchy; 31-07-12 at 05:58 PM.
Ritchy is offline   Reply With Quote