theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 25-09-12, 11:28 AM   #71
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Think Talkingcars has a hoist.
Indeed, I do.

Also a couple of angle grinders............
Old 25-09-12, 11:35 AM   #72
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Well if the engine is going complete with gearbox then it may well be easier to drop it straight down onto the pallet and hoist the car over it. It is the same method I used to change the V6 engine in my Calibra. Drop front subfame and engine to the ground and lift the car up and away. In this case it would be easier and quicker to cut the front cross member off and pull it out? The shell is being weighed in is it not?
Old 25-09-12, 12:01 PM   #73
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Yes the shell is being weighed in

If we have angle grinders and its easier to cut some of the car away then happy to do that!

Since I would rather not leave the engine out on the drive for any length of time I have cleared some space in the garage... *IF* we can get it down there! lol if not then I will arrange to get it collected sooner rather than later... (We all know what those pikeys are like!)

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-12, 12:11 PM   #74
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Sam if you do move it to the garage, how are you doing it and also how do you intend to move it back up the drive when the courier turns up? It is not an easy thing to shift, believe me I know! I had enough trouble moving mine a few feet on a pallet.
Old 25-09-12, 12:16 PM   #75
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Sam if you do move it to the garage, how are you doing it and also how do you intend to move it back up the drive when the courier turns up? It is not an easy thing to shift, believe me I know! I had enough trouble moving mine a few feet on a pallet.
I suppose it depends how heavy it is?

My only experience of moving an engine is with a 1.8 K4 (ZS 120) engine that two of us lifted and carried easily from the boot of a saloon ZS to the other side of the workshop

I know the KV6 would be heavier... but how much heavier?

As for putting on the truck, I assumed (from experience working in a warehouse) that the courier would have a pallet truck (since its a pallet courier company) that would make light work of moving it from garage to lorry...

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-12, 12:25 PM   #76
stamford
Site Owner

Ah good point about the pallet truck! Around 150kg for the engine alone. I don't have the wet and dry weights at hand.
Old 28-09-12, 06:01 PM   #77
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

got my engine trolley in the car, hopefully we can put the pallet with the engine on it and wheel it down the drive. Might have to carry it over the stones though.

How many coming tomorrow???

Got my trolley jack and some sandwiches, about 9.30 ish I hope.

Old 28-09-12, 06:32 PM   #78
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
How many coming tomorrow???
Me, will be loading the hoist in the morning as I've just been elected to pick kids up at midnight so might not be down until 10 but we'll see what we can do.
Old 28-09-12, 06:37 PM   #79
stamford
Site Owner

I can't help as driving to Aldershot with my daughter to collect a car and my back is not too good today. If I can pop over at all I will but doubt if I'll be free until midday onwards.
Old 28-09-12, 06:44 PM   #80
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
More the merrier!!