Big-Jay

Big-Jay has a spectacular aura aboutBig-Jay has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc600 View Post
Nice Zed, keep up the good work.
Cheers bud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Cracking car you have there, what a interesting read, glad to see such good pics and all you have done so far!!

Thanks mate !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansligg View Post
looking to get a service done on my 180 sometime this month, but wondering to see what spark plugs you get first and how easy they are to remove old sparks and replace as ive heard its quite a delicate procedure in a 180
Hi hansligg,

I'll be getting these plugs - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x-NGK-IRI...-/360475871018

Being NGK you know you'll be getting a quality plug and good longevity being iridium. I've done a bit of research on the subject of changing the plugs, the fronts are straight forward to change, it's looks as if the rear bank will be the difficult ones.

I'll take a few pictures of the process and then stick them up on here when I'm done !

Jay.
Big-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-16, 05:45 PM   #42
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Jay View Post
Cheers bud !

Thanks mate !

Hi hansligg,

I'll be getting these plugs - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x-NGK-IRI...-/360475871018

Being NGK you know you'll be getting a quality plug and good longevity being iridium. I've done a bit of research on the subject of changing the plugs, the fronts are straight forward to change, it's looks as if the rear bank will be the difficult ones.

I'll take a few pictures of the process and then stick them up on here when I'm done !

Jay.
The rears aren't that bad to be honest.using the correct tools makes it as easy as any others.
Old 23-02-16, 08:51 PM   #43
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
If you have a universal joint extension to fit your socket and can do things by feel the rear plugs are as easy as the front ones.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-16, 04:49 PM   #44
Big-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmy View Post
The rears aren't that bad to be honest.using the correct tools makes it as easy as any others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
If you have a universal joint extension to fit your socket and can do things by feel the rear plugs are as easy as the front ones.
Cheers guys, that's good to know !

I'll dig my UJ out of the garage ready for when I get the plugs then.

Jay.
Old 06-03-16, 08:42 PM   #45
Big-Jay

Hi guys,

Been down to the scrappy this weekend to pull a drivers side arch liner of a scrap ZS as the one on mine was broken.

Decided to change it out yesterday but when I removed what was left of the old one it all looked a bit crusty so I removed the wing to get a better look -

After a quick session with the wire cup on my grinder these are the results. The holes for the plastic screw clips that hold the arch liner up have rotted out -

So I cut out the rot -

This is where I was planning to weld some new metal in but to be honest I hate patch welding and would rather replace the complete panel if possible. So I had a quick look through rimmer brothers and found that I could buy the complete genuine valence reinforcement panel to the tune of £2.71 for the drivers side and £2.83 for the passengers which has also rotted out in the same place. Safe to say these are now ordered and on the the way.

Here's a link to rimmers website, the panels are numbers 6 & 7 if anyone was wondering - http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID003339

So now it's just a case of drilling out a few spot welds and replacing the complete panels. A bit more work but it'll be a much tidier job.

I removed the side skirt to have a closer look at the condition underneath -

All looked good with no rust what so ever until we got to the jacking point which looked very suspect -

Went at it with the grinder which revealed this -

I've very roughly cut the worst of the rot out and sprayed a bit of zinc primer on for the time being until I source some thicker gauge steel to repair this area -

To be fair, I was expecting it to be worse than what it was but its really not too bad at all, believe me I've seen a lot worse !

I haven't checked the passenger side jacking point yet but I'm guessing it's probably going to be in similar condition.
Old 06-03-16, 08:45 PM   #46
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Well .... at least you found it and have the ability to repair it. For me - it'd get spotted at the MOT and then cost me the value of the car to get it repaired.

Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 09:26 PM   #47
top_man_eldo

top_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the rough
Good job there, always wanted to have a go at welding. Might be worth having a look inside the inner sills and checking what they're like. Mine had rotted out severely.

2016 Subaru WRX STi
top_man_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 11:05 PM   #48
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Christ that's scary seeing holes in her like that but that's proper job repairs your doing bud. Good work!
Old 07-03-16, 06:08 AM   #49
Rockey5uk2001

Rockey5uk2001 has a spectacular aura aboutRockey5uk2001 has a spectacular aura about
Seen this far in the flesh last week.

Looks good!

top guy too!
Rockey5uk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 05:26 PM   #50
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Jay View Post
So now it's just a case of drilling out a few spot welds and replacing the complete panels. A bit more work but it'll be a much tidier job..
It'll probably be quicker spot welding in the new panel than seam welding all the way around the patches.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote