theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 14-07-14, 01:47 PM   #11
ZSZRANDRF900

ZSZRANDRF900 has a spectacular aura aboutZSZRANDRF900 has a spectacular aura about
Ok, just to clarify, the engine was designed by Honda, as their 2.7 V^ was a great engine but had poor emmisions. Honda designed the engine and hand built the early ones under an old agreement to Rover ( honda needed to get more units built for their USA cars badged as Acura). the 800's took the engine but it was a constant problem for Rover as the engines varied from engine to engine due to the hand building and the tolerance stack up for cylinder liners causing over and under compression on head gaskets. BMW came in and redeisgned the process ( delaying the initial launch of 75's until BMW signed off quality as being consistent). Contrary to poppular belief, the Plastic Manifolds and VIS are NOT rover design but BMW design. Rover designed the VIS to be metal, but BMW veto'd that). see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_KV6_engine

I would love to be able to put the old 2.7 Honda lump in a ZS.
Old 14-07-14, 02:23 PM   #12
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Says in that link it was designed and built by rover to replace the Honda. Not designed by Honda to replace their own unit?
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-14, 02:35 PM   #13
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
It wasn't designed by Honda.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-14, 02:48 PM   #14
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
Could they mean the honda C-Series?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_C_engine
Old 14-07-14, 02:49 PM   #15
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
More than likely as that has a 2.5 in the range
Old 14-07-14, 03:00 PM   #16
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
So Rover took the Honda C27A and developed that into the KV6? It does make reference to the variable length intake manifold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_C_engine#C27A
Old 14-07-14, 03:09 PM   #17
Skillen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG ZS STE View Post
So Rover took the Honda C27A and developed that into the KV6? It does make reference to the variable length intake manifold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_C_engine#C27A
I do t think it was based on another engine and was made and designed in house.
Also lots of engines have variable intakes so again I don't think it's taken maybe inspired though lol.
Old 14-07-14, 03:36 PM   #18
ZSZRANDRF900

ZSZRANDRF900 has a spectacular aura aboutZSZRANDRF900 has a spectacular aura about
i stand corrected. just checked with the main powertrain manager here, he was small engines manager at the time for Rover group. he tells me that the block, and heads were initially drafted by Honda with a terrible injection system and made in a bespoke workshop in Swindon. Honda tried to sting Rover on cost so the BMW parents told honda to shove it. BMW then invested in the tooling to cast the blocks and heads. a service bulitin was issued to replace every single engine that came in in 800 series with Oil consumption, or HG issues. BMW sent in a production "black belt" team to sort out the slippage in the liners, and make sure it was ready for 75 and freelander.
then the lads at longbridge designed the rocker covers and engine accoustics and BMW management told Rover who in Germany was making the manifolds and VIS, rover had no choice on sourcing. I was wrong. i admit it
Old 14-07-14, 06:21 PM   #19
easytime

easytime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSZRANDRF900 View Post
i stand corrected. just checked with the main powertrain manager here, he was small engines manager at the time for Rover group. he tells me that the block, and heads were initially drafted by Honda with a terrible injection system and made in a bespoke workshop in Swindon. Honda tried to sting Rover on cost so the BMW parents told honda to shove it. BMW then invested in the tooling to cast the blocks and heads. a service bulitin was issued to replace every single engine that came in in 800 series with Oil consumption, or HG issues. BMW sent in a production "black belt" team to sort out the slippage in the liners, and make sure it was ready for 75 and freelander.
then the lads at longbridge designed the rocker covers and engine accoustics and BMW management told Rover who in Germany was making the manifolds and VIS, rover had no choice on sourcing. I was wrong. i admit it
Fair play bud.
easytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-14, 09:39 PM   #20
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSZRANDRF900 View Post
......just checked with the main powertrain manager here, he was small engines manager..........
always room for stories like this.