theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 14-12-14, 05:25 PM   #1
BUCKYDEVIL

BUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud of
Recommendations for tool kit.

Looking to clear out all my old tools, Mostly Poundland tat,Argos Budget etc
To have a nice cabinet and tools that will last a long time
Tied to a budget of around £300
seen this one by Clarke at £312 https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...st-and-tools-p
Haven't heard of the make though.
Other options are Halfords Cabinet at £80 and fill with premium sets they have.
Grateful if someone more knowledgable on tool brands could point me right direction.
BUCKYDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-14, 05:37 PM   #2
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
The Clarke one looks fair value tbh

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-14, 05:45 PM   #3
BUCKYDEVIL

BUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud of
Cheers Pete, know I'd get more for my money buying from Gumtree etc but it's a gift so looking to get new
Have you heard of Clarke before ?
Old 14-12-14, 06:10 PM   #4
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Clarke have been around for as long as I can remember but I wouldn't rate them as a top make, more middle of the road.

I have slowly replaced all my tools with Halfords Pro as and when they are on offer or I need something. The great thing is the lifetime guarantee, also worth mentioning that they are actually made by the likes of Snap-On and Teng.

Christmas is always a good time to pick up cheap tools from Halfords, they sell off last years designs so they can introduce the new range.

However if there is something I won't use often I'd consider Clarke.
Old 14-12-14, 06:12 PM   #5
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I'm not sure if the Premium range has the same life time guarantee as the Pro range.
Old 14-12-14, 06:19 PM   #6
BUCKYDEVIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
I'm not sure if the Premium range has the same life time guarantee as the Pro range.
Cheers James, will go Instore at Halfords tomorrow and find out what's available and what the lifetime cover offer is on.
Old 14-12-14, 06:22 PM   #7
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
As James says, Clarke have been around for years, their stuff is aimed more at the home user rather than pro users.

Also anything that wears out/gets broken can be replaced with better quality items, the Halfords Pro stuff I've been really impressed with.

Old 14-12-14, 06:26 PM   #8
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

One other thing that springs to mind is the design of the sockets, hex sockets are much less likely to round off nuts, 12 point ones are designed primarily for 12 point nuts and bolts, and while they do work on hex heads there's more chance of damaging the nut or bolt because they drive on the points of the nut rather than the flats

Old 14-12-14, 06:37 PM   #9
talkingcars

Looking on their website it would appear that Halfords Advanced Professional tools have the lifetime guarantee.
Old 14-12-14, 07:01 PM   #10
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Clarke are okay if using occassionally, other tools are fine but not their mechanics budget range as the tools are very cheap. I have bought their small kits to give away with our machines, a sweetener to keep the workshop staff happy when our own engineers are installing abroad. All they see is a bright red toolbox and shiny tools! Clarke's quality tools are much better and I have bought these on and off. Over the years I have bought Kamasa, Britool, Snap-On and Halfords tools. I have bought a decent toolkit and replaced them gradually with quality ones for common jobs. Hard to advise as cost is the key and you get what you pay for.