theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 08-11-12, 11:48 PM   #1
mattie007

mattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nice
Warranty Direct

Asked for a quote last week and they mentioned around £400. Decided it was too much but was then offered a warranty for £90. Difference is this one requires the car to have broken down at home or on a journey. They pay all labour and 50% towards parts. Covers everything except wear items.
Sound a good offer or a waste of money? Can even pay over 4 interest free payments.
Old 09-11-12, 12:04 AM   #2
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
I used to be in the trade until a few years back and can honestly say, most warranties are not worth the paper...

with the exception perhaps to some main dealer ones, such as the bmw one, but you pay handsomely for it.

even the brand name rac or AA (can't remember which) was a complete waste of time.

It is usual for them to quibble over every penny, make it so hard to make a claim that most just give up, and even when they do pay up its a max of 35quid per hour from a vat registered garage and often of their choice - it usually works out cheaper for what little they pay out to get it fixed cash in hand.

Then they only pay out a percentage of part based upon mileage, known failures and wear and tear is usually excluded immd. or in small print.

All in all, I wouldn't bother, and told almost every client who spent 10k on a used vehicle not to either, simply because they are a waste of time, especially from the like of warranty direct.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 01:00 AM   #3
Captain Peanut

Captain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the rough
Do you maintain the car yourself? Lots of these places will only honour the warranties if the car is services at a garage.
Old 09-11-12, 08:21 AM   #4
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Indeed, all warranties I have read require a stamped annual service to ensure it is valid in the event of a claim. I don't normally bother but when buying through a trader I will push for one that gives the most cover as I do alot of miles any faults will show up well within the 3 months of a tight warranty.
Old 09-11-12, 09:06 AM   #5
mattie007

mattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nice
Thanks for the info, sounds like a waste of money.
Last 3 services I have done myself so I doubt they will honour it.