theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 09-11-12, 07:56 PM   #1
Steven11

Steven11 has a spectacular aura aboutSteven11 has a spectacular aura about
Dumb Cambelt Question

Not very mechanical so forgive me is this is a stupid question, but is it true that my MK2 180 has 3 Cambelts and that the engine has to come out to change them all. If so why does it need 3 belts and do you really need to change ALL of them. Can i get away with changing 1 or 2 of them to save some money on labour.
Steven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 07:58 PM   #2
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
yep has 3 and no it doesnt need to come out, but it is a very involved job with a lot of strip down, one large one at the front and 2 at the rear, and yes would be advisable to change all 3 of them
Old 09-11-12, 08:03 PM   #3
Steven11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchy View Post
yep has 3 and no it doesnt need to come out, but it is a very involved job with a lot of strip down, one large one at the front and 2 at the rear, and yes would be advisable to change all 3 of them
If i booked it into your place Ritchy could i specify that i want you to do it, and do you have any idea what it would cost (ballpark) ?
Old 09-11-12, 08:14 PM   #4
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
ive never done one and no i doubt it haha, jobs just get handed out to anyone in general, wouldnt bring it into a main dealer tbh they charge a fortune for it, dont see an isue with it being done but you could get the same job done else where cheaper with the same quality, and its not something i want to take on up the house either unless it was my own car.
im not sure if graham would take it on aka ZRED, he's just gone full time at his garage, may be worth giving him a shout, hes just got married today so be a week likely before you get a reply,, guys good at what he does though and takes pride in his jobs
either him or try dreadnaught in callander, they specialize in mg and they have a really good reputation, they are the 2 people id be speaking to around here
Old 09-11-12, 08:20 PM   #5
Steven11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchy View Post
ive never done one and no i doubt it haha, jobs just get handed out to anyone in general, wouldnt bring it into a main dealer tbh they charge a fortune for it, dont see an isue with it being done but you could get the same job done else where cheaper with the same quality, and its not something i want to take on up the house either unless it was my own car.
im not sure if graham would take it on aka ZRED, he's just gone full time at his garage, may be worth giving him a shout, hes just got married today so be a week likely before you get a reply,, guys good at what he does though and takes pride in his jobs
either him or try dreadnaught in callander, they specialize in mg and they have a really good reputation, they are the 2 people id be speaking to around here
Really appreciate the info Ritchy, ill defo take your advice on board. really keen to get it done soon as i grudge spending any more money on the car incase i do and it goes bang the next day. The cars now 7 years old with 70,000 miles and is still on the original belts. Fair to say im tempting fait a bit.
Old 09-11-12, 09:20 PM   #6
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I would always get all 3 done, the 2 smaller ones are easy but there is no point in changing them and leaving the big one.

TBH I think there is more chance of one failing if you change the others as there will be more stress on the old ones.
Old 09-11-12, 09:27 PM   #7
Steven11

Why are there 3, what do they all do ?
Old 09-11-12, 09:31 PM   #8
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
The main one connects the crank shaft to the heads, the 2 shorter ones at the other end of the engine connect inlet and exhaust cams.
Old 09-11-12, 09:33 PM   #9
tb steve

tb steve has a spectacular aura abouttb steve has a spectacular aura about
belts do
the cams
water pump
power steering pump
air con pump
oil pump
alternator

think that's all lol
tb steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 09:35 PM   #10
Ritchy
technically an expertish

the timing belts only do the cams and the waterpump, the aux belt drives the alt powersteering and aircon