theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 11-11-14, 08:35 PM   #1
splinter

splinter has a spectacular aura aboutsplinter has a spectacular aura about
New (to me) 180 questions

Thats not 180 questions i hasten to add!!

Been meaning to post for a while but unfortunately after a long fight my mother passed away last week, so things got put on the backburner for a while. Now trying to get back to some kind of normality so a few questions/answers/advise would be gratefully received.

Finally managed to get the cash together to buy myself a 180 Its a 2004 mk11 saloon in black. A few niggles but think I got it cheap enough to start with.
1..It'd been standing a little while so rear brake binding a little. More noticeable when reversing. I read these cars seem prone to rear seizure but is this on the brake or handbrake system? Worth changing both rear calipers?

2..The steering seems a tad heavier than my 120. Would 17's with lower profile tyre cause this feeling or is it supposed to be this way?

3..The dreaded manifold rattle....I can hear a faint rattle in this area but unsure if its VIS or something else (plenum? does this rattle? Not really mechanical on these things, carbs etc i'm ok) Tried reading the relevant threads and i'm afraid its beyond me!
(if anyone local to me can supply bacon butty and beer tokens to have a look?)

Other than a bit of wear on the leather and the skirts molding themselves to the clips, i'm well chuffed.

posted in General as questions are general sorry if i've got it wrong

Last edited by splinter; 11-11-14 at 08:37 PM. Reason: stupity
splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-14, 08:51 PM   #2
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
Hi as usual plenty of people on here can answer the questions. I found my brakes stuck on if left, so when I leave him for some time, I park in reverse and leave brakes off. Mind you it is in a garage.......
The rattle could be the manifold, depends on how loud. MIne rattled for ages when I first bought him, with no drop off of power, just a noise when lifting bonnet...

Not sure about the steering, any one else on here for that one?????????
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-14, 08:55 PM   #3
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Sorry to hear about your mother.

The rattle you can hear may well be the purge valve, it's a black cylinder on top of the plenum, just after the throttle body.

The rear calipers are renowned for the handbrake mechanism sticking.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-14, 09:16 PM   #4
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Sorry to hear about your mother firstly.
As for the car the caliper sliding pins are notorious for sticking as the rubber dust seals fail and rubbish gets in there causing the sticky brakes.worth a look before swapping calipers.power steering not noticed it being much different from when I had my 120 I would have a look at the fluid might need refreshing or just topped up.faint ticking is most probably the purge valve.that ticking noise will come from the canister
Pete was talking about if it's coming from anywhere else then yeah possibly the plenum failing but that's an easy swap if you get a replacement.
Old 11-11-14, 09:33 PM   #5
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
My condolences about your mum.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-14, 09:46 PM   #6
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is and a car to play with can be a welcome distraction at times.
Old 11-11-14, 09:48 PM   #7
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
sorry to here about your mum mate,as other have said could just be the purge valve,is there anyway you could upload a video,and some pics of course
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 10:25 AM   #8
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Sorry for your loss, always a sad time, but as long as you remember her and talk about her, she will be with you forever.

I didnt use my derv much before I took it into the MOT station, Failed it on sticking O/S calipers. I had some new front disks and pads so put those on and changed the rears. They wernt badly worn, just rusty looking. The garage said the calipers and sliders were all OK, so I had it retested and it was OK.

I'm sure the tester just looked at the rusty disks and assumed the calipers wernt working. I normally give it a 50 odd mile run around to polish the disks up.

Teach me to let the MOT lapse, so I couldnt this time.

With the clips, my front one got bent back, I undid the screw things on the bottom of the skirts, that screw into the floor. I then pulled the top away and you can get at the clips. My one had more than half detached. Got some silicone sealer, cleaned the clips up reattached them and siliconed it all back. Held it in place with some G clamps. lazy method, but the thought of tacking it all off was beyond me.

Glad the car is OK apart from these small niggles.
Old 12-11-14, 02:48 PM   #9
hansligg

hansligg is on a distinguished road
I had a slight loss of power this morning. turned car on, put foot down to pull away and first initial 2 seconds it didnt respond.

normal due to sitting overnight or initial stages of an issue?

sorry for your loss also!
hansligg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 05:04 PM   #10
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
My 110 power steering felt lighter, but the tires were 175 wide so less tire on the road. Also the turning circle was better. SFYL