theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 02-01-14, 12:41 PM   #11
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Good stuff, glad it's getting there.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-14, 01:04 PM   #12
nickc09

nickc09 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
Good stuff, glad it's getting there.
thanks pete,

will definately be doing a guide on the conversion if i get this sorted

although this will probably ruin any chance of help from the people who have already done it and dont want to share their wisdom lol

thanks

Nick
nickc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-14, 01:24 PM   #13
ZRed

ZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the rough
Not that I don't want to share my wisdom, but you are asking me to give you a how to on a service that I make a living from. Surely you can see why I wouldn't give out that information?

1. I don't know you.
2. You've hardly ever post on this site and are not a paid member.
3. You haven't even tried the conversion yourself but want help. Asking for help when stuck is different from being lazy and wanting your handheld.
Old 02-01-14, 06:59 PM   #14
nickc09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRed View Post
Not that I don't want to share my wisdom, but you are asking me to give you a how to on a service that I make a living from. Surely you can see why I wouldn't give out that information?

1. I don't know you.
2. You've hardly ever post on this site and are not a paid member.
3. You haven't even tried the conversion yourself but want help. Asking for help when stuck is different from being lazy and wanting your handheld.
I understand completely buddy, I offered to pay for help as i am currently stuck, I have researched into this and am at the point of having the looms split in front of me,

i also understand i have hardly posted as i have only just bought the ZS, i am an avid poster on mg-rover.org, rovertech, and not as much but also on themgzr.co.uk as i have had zr's for over 5 years

and as for not trying the conversion myself i currently have the zr engine out of the car waiting to go in, i just want to make sure the loom is right before i put it in,

i apologize for any crossed wires... (see what i did there ) but i am currently stuck on the loom and have been for a few days which is why i am asking for help,

i currently have the 3 vvc plugs cut back from near the ecu plug, also the camshaft sensor plug as i know these are different, is there anything else i need from the 160 loom?

Thanks

Nick
Old 02-01-14, 07:06 PM   #15
nickc09

managed to remove the pins for the VVC solenoids from the vvc loom and put them into the 120 loom,

GETTIN THERE!!!

Edit..... Wired it all in now, just got to neaten it up, fit the new belts, side mount and ancillaries and see how we go

Last edited by nickc09; 02-01-14 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-01-14, 11:31 PM   #16
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
well done, glad you've done it, at least after doing this you are in a position to post up a how to guide for all others in a similar position to yourself who want to do it.
The great thing about forums is the ability to share information and to help each other, when cars become as old and worthless as these, things like this help us all keep an interest in keeping them alive.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-14, 11:53 PM   #17
nickc09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
well done, glad you've done it, at least after doing this you are in a position to post up a how to guide for all others in a similar position to yourself who want to do it.
The great thing about forums is the ability to share information and to help each other, when cars become as old and worthless as these, things like this help us all keep an interest in keeping them alive.
If it works thats what i aim to do, if not, ill pay someone to fix my mistake and admit im pants at it lol,

Now for engine transplant, should be fun,

Heres a pic of the zs sat next to the zr, its dark but hey, its better than nothing lol

and the fleet (before i stripped the 160)

Old 03-01-14, 05:42 PM   #18
nickc09

PROGRESS!!!

Im not 100% that i have done it right but i had a good go!

I inserted the pins into the ecu plug for the increase and decrease on the vvc unit, i then spliced into the loom for a power source for both (brown pink)

The other vvc plug was spliced onto the wires that came from the same pin on the ecu plug, and the cam sensor i did the same, but it had to be screened so i spliced the screening earth into the crank sensor screening earth,

I did all this from comparing wiring diagrams off RAVE and having the looms sat in front of me, luckily they are very similar apart from a few things

I also noticed the injector and coil plugs were different ao i removed the 120 ones and put the 160 single plug on there to make life easier,

I also managed to whip the centre console out and change the scu for the zr one,

Tomorrow is hopefully fitting the belts and swapping the side mounts and ancillaries over, then see if it runs or if my wiring skills are terrible lol