AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 17-10-16, 08:42 PM   #1
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Tech question

just a quick one,

Do all ZS 180's, including the really early ones take their speedo reading from the ABS system?

Reason I ask is because I'm having a box built with an after market diff and just want to know if I need to worry about the speedo drive gear or if its redundant?

Cheers
Old 17-10-16, 09:04 PM   #2
ZS Phil

Just kind of answered my own question by going out to the garage. My pre-project drive (well until it became a track car) 180 has a yellow blank where the speedo drive would be so I guess all ZS's are driven by ABS.

That said, I could have sworn my TD ZS had a gear drive in the box?
Old 17-10-16, 09:14 PM   #3
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Apparently not.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID003597
Old 17-10-16, 09:36 PM   #4
JOHNDQ

JOHNDQ is on a distinguished road
Both my ZS and ZR have PG1's and ABS but both box's have the drive etc there for the speedo transducer but its just got a yellow cap over them. I only know because I tried to see if I could use a transducer on the ZR to run speedo as I took abs off, unfortunately after testing on the Scope it wasn't possible as the ABS etc takes an analogue signal from sensor and converts it to digital to send to dash board
JOHNDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-16, 10:17 PM   #5
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

crikey, that was a tech reply!!

I'm used to the good old flexi speedo drive on my MGB's knew where you were with them.

All this modern space age stuff.

Old 18-10-16, 06:49 AM   #6
carmadbaker

carmadbaker has a spectacular aura aboutcarmadbaker has a spectacular aura about
I converted my zed to run on a gearbox drive sensor after removing my ABS.
Think it was from a Rover 400? I then used something called a "speedo healer" which amplifies or cuts down the input signal from the gearbox to drive the ZS speedo, the ZS speedo has quite a high input frequency requirement but the speedo healer sorts it

-MK1 MG ZS T16 Turbo 2.1
-Lotus Elise S2 111

You Can't Spell Dangerous Without "Dan"
carmadbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-16, 07:06 PM   #7
ZS Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
I think that must be an error because no 400 had the V6 and all V6 45's/ ZS's had ABS so even if the box drive was present it wasn't used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
Both my ZS and ZR have PG1's and ABS but both box's have the drive etc there for the speedo transducer but its just got a yellow cap over them. I only know because I tried to see if I could use a transducer on the ZR to run speedo as I took abs off, unfortunately after testing on the Scope it wasn't possible as the ABS etc takes an analogue signal from sensor and converts it to digital to send to dash board
What about if you converted the clocks to the non ABS ones? 2 different clock types on ZRs I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
crikey, that was a tech reply!!

I'm used to the good old flexi speedo drive on my MGB's knew where you were with them.

All this modern space age stuff.

Haha, good to share the knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmadbaker View Post
I converted my zed to run on a gearbox drive sensor after removing my ABS.
Think it was from a Rover 400? I then used something called a "speedo healer" which amplifies or cuts down the input signal from the gearbox to drive the ZS speedo, the ZS speedo has quite a high input frequency requirement but the speedo healer sorts it
I was under the impression you were using 400 clocks too so surprised you needed to modify the signal. Or have you since gone back to ZS clocks? Got a link for the speedo healer? Not come across those before...
Old 18-10-16, 07:13 PM   #8
JOHNDQ

JOHNDQ is on a distinguished road
Thats true yes but the speed is a lower mph. I'm going for a Race technology 2 pro dash I think so then can have logging and everything on dash in front of me plus I like that you can add the Gopro function to it so can have info over laid on the videos etc
JOHNDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-16, 08:33 PM   #9
carmadbaker

carmadbaker has a spectacular aura aboutcarmadbaker has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
I was under the impression you were using 400 clocks too so surprised you needed to modify the signal. Or have you since gone back to ZS clocks? Got a link for the speedo healer? Not come across those before...
I was good sir, got fed up looking at old style clocks (even with nice fresh dial backing) so i have since gone back to ZS clocks
https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/sh/

-MK1 MG ZS T16 Turbo 2.1
-Lotus Elise S2 111

You Can't Spell Dangerous Without "Dan"
carmadbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-16, 09:33 PM   #10
ZS Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
Thats true yes but the speed is a lower mph. I'm going for a Race technology 2 pro dash I think so then can have logging and everything on dash in front of me plus I like that you can add the Gopro function to it so can have info over laid on the videos etc
That will be nice, expensive, but nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmadbaker View Post
I was good sir, got fed up looking at old style clocks (even with nice fresh dial backing) so i have since gone back to ZS clocks
https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/sh/
Fair enough, had a quick look, I'll certainly have to bear it in mind if ever I need to drive the speedo from the box.