theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 11-03-12, 09:49 AM   #21
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcam24 View Post
very first lap....why, what caused the accident?

sorry but this is why i would never go halves on a car, yes you may get your money back but what about all the hours and

excitement thats now lost.

How can anyone have a genuine excuse for crashing on the first lap after 4 minutes, unless someone hit him and knocked him off ,

or he had a mechanical failure of some sort, if not then im afraid i would be fuming.

Im sorry but what george said is right, it is dangerous and you have to accept that, but any driver has to respect the track

(especially the ring when your a noob, the ring hasnt gained its rep for nothing !! ), the conditions, your skill and experience etc.

I have done iro 40 trackdays and never had a shunt and that includes many new tracks, rain soaked tracks, even slick tyres on a

wet track and i don't say that to boast, im not the quickest driver by far but what i can do is read the conditions and know mine

and the cars limits...and anyone who goes on track, especially in a car part owned by some'one else, has a responsibility to do the

same.

My apologies if this post makes me unpopular but its just unacceptable.

Build your own car mate and drive it yourself.

p.s do you like my george style, gap between every line, post ,lol
Calm down mate - Blah blah - yep you may have the time on a track - we don't. He may have pushed it too far to start with - so what -

No-one's got the hump - certainly not me - and we are 4 guys £200 each in total - £800 - we could break it for nearly that and get £100+ back on the road tax alone ! We'd written the investment off anyway just incase something like this happened. It's not some £10K totally sorted track car with hours of time spent in the garage. It was a bargain to buy, we spent £30 on getting it through the MOT to get it around and that's it.

The lads wanted to go to the ring - they went and lost it - no biggee ....

G - I think you're right - I don't think it'll be a lot to get straight again and at the end of the day - it might not look pretty, but it'll do exactly what we wanted it to do - get out and have some fun.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-12, 09:51 AM   #22
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Second thoughts - you may need to chop some of the wing off and weld anothr in BUT it doesn't need to be tidy, just functional.
Old 11-03-12, 09:57 AM   #23
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
..... BUT it doesn't need to be tidy, just functional.
Exactly !
Old 11-03-12, 09:59 AM   #24
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
No good mate but least everyone was ok and the car was still driveable as well as being possibly repairable/breakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Frustrating but doesn't look too bad.

As George said - it doesn't look so bad, it's a track car and not a show car so repair it - pull the wing, replace the hatch and fibre glass the bumper, bit of rattle can to give some colour, repair the exhaust and try again

but

this time try a local track.

And if the car drives - why did they have to pay the E1200?
I think it would be possibly be for damage to the track, call out for crash crews or something similiar maybe??
Old 11-03-12, 10:04 AM   #25
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

The 1200 was for damage to the armco apparently - clearing up the mess and towing them off.
Old 11-03-12, 10:13 AM   #26
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Calm down mate - Blah blah - yep you may have the time on a track - we don't. He may have pushed it too far to start with - so what -

No-one's got the hump - certainly not me - and we are 4 guys £200 each in total - £800 - we could break it for nearly that and get £100+ back on the road tax alone ! We'd written the investment off anyway just incase something like this happened. It's not some £10K totally sorted track car with hours of time spent in the garage. It was a bargain to buy, we spent £30 on getting it through the MOT to get it around and that's it.

The lads wanted to go to the ring - they went and lost it - no biggee ....

G - I think you're right - I don't think it'll be a lot to get straight again and at the end of the day - it might not look pretty, but it'll do exactly what we wanted it to do - get out and have some fun.
sorry if that seemed harsh, and its good your not bothered but really the main point im making is that anyone who goes on track has a responsibility to do so safely. Ok your not bothered and every one is safe so thats good, but what if, in their reckless moment they had spun into another car, that was worth a lot of money, or worse, caused an accident that injured someone.
Quadcam24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-12, 10:17 AM   #27
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Reckon half an hour with a lump hammer, new o/s/r light unit, take it to Powerflow to sort the exhaust. Might need a bit of a pull on the o/s/r quarter, but I'm sure you have a few big trees and a bit of chain laying about.

Weld down the rear hatch, added body stiffness and you are there.

Sorted track car, look on the Ring as a shake down session!!!!

peterzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-12, 10:19 AM   #28
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcam24 View Post
sorry if that seemed harsh, and its good your not bothered but really the main point im making is that anyone who goes on track has a responsibility to do so safely. Ok your not bothered and every one is safe so thats good, but what if, in their reckless moment they had spun into another car, that was worth a lot of money, or worse, caused an accident that injured someone.
Then that would've been a terrible shame and they would be even more out of pocket.

Also - the other car's driver/owner would be - as you point out - well aware of the dangers and risks of taking a car on the track.
Old 11-03-12, 10:23 AM   #29
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Reckon half an hour with a lump hammer, new o/s/r light unit, take it to Powerflow to sort the exhaust. Might need a bit of a pull on the o/s/r quarter, but I'm sure you have a few big trees and a bit of chain laying about.

Weld down the rear hatch, added body stiffness and you are there.

Sorted track car, look on the Ring as a shake down session!!!!

I reckon you're right. Not sure about welding the boot shut though - we need to get it around and that might not be legal - not sure though - traffic never was my strong point !

Anyway - lets just wait and see what the prognosis is when they get back and get it looked at on the ramps. If they manage to drive it back and we're happy with the mechanicals, we can have a look at the bodywork issues and get them sorted for pennies. It'll be cheaper for them to sort it, than reimburse us with the investment so that's a positive.

And - One of the group is - yes my good friends - a garage owner/mechanic .... Sure we'll sort something out.
Old 11-03-12, 10:37 AM   #30
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Good planning there then!!!!
peterzs is offline   Reply With Quote