theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 15-10-13, 11:09 PM   #1
kev mocko

kev mocko is on a distinguished road
Zs180s not as quick as modern cars now??

Hi folks is it just me or is there a lot of modern day standard family cars can quite easily keep up with a standard 180?? Im on my fourth zs180 over the past three to four years but there seems to be a lot of 1.8s and 2.0 cdti's would keep or make mincemeat of the 180s now am i right or is it just me,? I drove a seat leon fr diesel at work'i think it would have eat the 180 alive,quite shocking really,wondering should i have got another 172/182 but dont like the reliability of french cars at the mo?
kev mocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-13, 11:39 PM   #2
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Seat leon diesels don't I easily pulled from my cousin in his FR550 diesel.
170ps so similar HP 180ps for us.

7.3 to 60 for us vs 8.1 for the leon.

I still find ours a match for most if not all tbh.

most CDTi's are aroung 150bhp arent they? And lets face all will have more torque in gear wont they.

Idont seem to have a problem and I even gave an RX8 a hard time the other day, he couldn't overtake me at all and struggled with a lack of torque lol.
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-13, 11:54 PM   #3
chris01

chris01 is on a distinguished road
Either your 180 is buggered or your just not driving it properly lol
chris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-13, 11:56 PM   #4
kev mocko

I know what you mean i love the 180s but put it up against an audi a3 1.8t or a bigger audi a4 and i wouldnt like to try to be fair,i used to think the zs was quite a quick car poss still are but working at the airport i drive allsort as i park customers cars for them,and the auto bmws seem quite a nippy car these days,the old 320d are a very fast car,i just find it a shame the kv6 engine needs a lot of money put its way to get quicker,a vauxhall insignia tonight getting onto the motorway almost left the 180 tonight and we wasnt racing typical business man undertaking me for no reason but fourth gear it was right on the zs backside, god knows what it was under the bonnet as it never said on the back but looked a standard car poss a diesel even i was shocked,
Old 16-10-13, 12:14 AM   #5
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
1.8 T Sport 3d
7.9 secs
135 mph
147 bhp
210nm

320d M Sport (2010) 2d
7.3 secs
147 mph
181 bhp

modern diesel will have more torque too at 380nm and 280lbft

there isnt much in them at all

there is a 200bhp twin turbo diesel insignia
the 2.0 cdti is 160 and will have the tourque in gear to accellerate well
the 1.8 petrol is nowhere near the ZS
Old 16-10-13, 12:27 AM   #6
kev mocko

It must have been the 200hp one my dad has the 1.8 insignia and that is hopeless but that one today was in a different league,it went like hell but i used my common sense and slowed off again,just felt the zs didnt have a lit more in it but i was only in fourth,hmmm
Old 16-10-13, 12:29 AM   #7
kev mocko

My zs is only on 58k to been well looked after so its far from buggered lol prob me driving like a grandad but im not overly keen on the cheapo tyres the last owner put on a full set great tread but frightening in the rain,the back end gets slippy easily:-/
Old 16-10-13, 12:37 AM   #8
Skillen

should get you to some good speeds in fourth, mine does (when it has done safely) tbh if theyre all feeling a bit faster then i'd be looking at something wrong.

Not had many things beat me tbh and the big power guys dont bother as they know its easy
Old 16-10-13, 12:58 AM   #9
kev mocko

The other cars just felt quicker to test drive at work but maybe fair play to the zs then trying to keep with a twin turbo insignia! Just googled it,i didnt even know they made them that sort of engine apart from the vxr's :-
Old 16-10-13, 06:39 AM   #10
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
the zs is not a fast car by any means.

quoting figures is futile, a 330i e46 bmw feels loads quicker than most other cars with just 230bhp.

The zs is pretty useless as soon as you drop it into 5th, had the car had a close ratio 6-speed, it would be a different beast, whilst you can bring the car to life with close ratios, it does tend to rev a bit in top.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote