theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 16-10-13, 04:43 PM   #21
Yampiedog

Yampiedog is on a distinguished road
I find you will probably be quicker off the mark but once in motion I think a lot of diesel turbos would out accelerate the 180

Mercedes Vito
Yampiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-13, 05:23 PM   #22
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Our ZR160 is quicker off the line than either of my ZS180's and the MGF (143 VVC) is quicker still BUT once you get into 3rd the ZS's have it. They are also much quicker accelerating while in motion.
Old 16-10-13, 05:48 PM   #23
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yampiedog View Post
I find you will probably be quicker off the mark but once in motion I think a lot of diesel turbos would out accelerate the 180
Not the seat/vag diesels.
Had nothing from a 30mph rolling start.
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-13, 06:19 PM   #24
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
That's what the gearstick's for .... Drop a gear floor it .... sorted.

A well kept 180 would have an 160 Insignia for breakfast. They are soooo heavy in comparison too.

New gen BMWs - 318d apart is a very different proposition. They are quick. 320d is about 180bhp IIRC - 325d 197 or 202 if later and the 330/5d's are monsters.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-13, 07:35 PM   #25
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
All this talk of speed.............Its the bends, round a twisty lane the ZS will eat most new cars for breakfast.......................Plus even if the Insignia is a bit faster, my god its an INSIGNIA...........................Id rather shoot myself than drive a car like that.
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-13, 07:44 PM   #26
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona365 View Post
All this talk of speed.............Its the bends, round a twisty lane the ZS will eat most new cars for breakfast.......................Plus even if the Insignia is a bit faster, my god its an INSIGNIA...........................Id rather shoot myself than drive a car like that.
Oh I don't know. I really like th looks of the VXR ones
Old 16-10-13, 08:21 PM   #27
Mat C
Who watches the Watchmen?

Mat C is on a distinguished road
There were a lot of family cars back in 2001 when the 180 came out that were faster, so now it's a fore gone conclusion! To be fair, and not wishing to down anyone's cars here (as i own a 180 after all!) the ZS180 never was fast!! 0-60 in 7.3? Yeah, dead fast!! Mid range is average at best, top end is poor too. A couple of weeks back i borrowed a 6 year old Audi S3 that had been breathed on a bit. Now that was fast, it would make mince meat of any MG ever made, puny SV-R included. I don't think you can state that since the 6R4 their has ever been a fast MG, not even the ZT260 was fast. Asthmatic is a better description!! They might be a bit quicker than the average car (I'm talking ZR160, ZS180, ZT190, ZT260 - sorry, but below them the average van will beat you) but we need to face facts, MG's are not fast and most family cars wont just keep up, they'll show us a clean pair of heels!
Mat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-13, 08:28 PM   #28
Yampiedog

Yampiedog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat C View Post
There were a lot of family cars back in 2001 when the 180 came out that were faster, so now it's a fore gone conclusion! To be fair, and not wishing to down anyone's cars here (as i own a 180 after all!) the ZS180 never was fast!! 0-60 in 7.3? Yeah, dead fast!! Mid range is average at best, top end is poor too. A couple of weeks back i borrowed a 6 year old Audi S3 that had been breathed on a bit. Now that was fast, it would make mince meat of any MG ever made, puny SV-R included. I don't think you can state that since the 6R4 their has ever been a fast MG, not even the ZT260 was fast. Asthmatic is a better description!! They might be a bit quicker than the average car (I'm talking ZR160, ZS180, ZT190, ZT260 - sorry, but below them the average van will beat you) but we need to face facts, MG's are not fast and most family cars wont just keep up, they'll show us a clean pair of heels!
Other comparable cars at the time of the ZS 180 were slower

ST220 Mondeo - 7.6s
V6 Vectra - 8s

Just to name a couple

Mercedes Vito
Yampiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-13, 08:38 PM   #29
Mat C
Who watches the Watchmen?

Mat C is on a distinguished road
Proving that V6's are a waste of space and a turbo'd 4 pot is the way to go!!
Mat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-13, 08:51 PM   #30
Skillen

Unless you like anything smooth revving.
My brothers megane RS is so rough sounding.

Rattly 4 pot.

Turbo 4 pot is also the way to go to reduce emissions.

I'd rather have displacement tbh.