theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 26-06-12, 08:44 AM   #171
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Well clutch has been sorted and refitted - a nice £200 cheaper than the paddle unit previously fitted so even better news - hope this one lasts more than the 40k miles that my clutches seem to last!

Now as ever further proof that the car hates me.....

it has rusted through the coolant pipes on the passenger side - near where the AC pipework also runs.....

Xpart does not have any on the shleves and it appears that it is also no intention of making some up.

I advise any-one with a derv to check their status and give them a good hammeriting - esp if you live where lots of salt is put down or the seaside!

It looks like in order to get the car back to me quicker - and without the 'risk' of scrappy hunting for a set - i will get a custom section made up....

Once the coolant is able to circulate again - i can then get the ac pipework tweaked and redone so it might stop splitting every other year.....

some-times i wonder why i persevere with this car!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-12, 10:32 AM   #172
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Aggggggggghhhhhhhhh, cant be many bits to change, upgrade.

One step forward, etc.............

Hope you get this little problem sorted, dont know if Pirtek can make the pipes up if you take the ends to them??
Old 13-07-12, 10:21 AM   #173
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
She lives...... and is not embarrasing herself by leaving a puddle underneath anymore... old coolant piped had rusted from the inside out - complete mess - one of the brackets had disolved as well....

Could not get OE pipes as NLA - and the custom ones were not going to be done in time and were going to be too much cost wise - so a breaker came to the rescue.. 'As new' from a late plate 25.

new clutch is a an absolutely dream - got a nice light feel in the action and very progressive.... back to OE feel i would probably guess.... no more permanent handbrake starts and huge drive-line shudder as it engages....

i should have taken some picks of the old unit - it was a mess....

Aircon pipes are also NLA or the one i need isn't and the guy needed 3 weeks lead time to create some new ones, can't sort AC without a running engine, and with no coolant pipes no running engine... so just ran out of time...

going to be able to give the car a good workout with a 1000+ mile trip lined up shortly....

have to say even after a 7 hour work day then a 7 hour stint of travel - the last 2 hours in the ZS were an absolute joy..... if you want to appreciate your ZS for a while - leave it parked up for 2 months and drive something else - even modern and getting abck in it will bring a smile to your face (and back )

want to go and drive the car but slight 'scared' of it being friday the 13th
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 13-07-12, 11:11 AM   #174
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I know what you mean when driving another car, I get that when I use the Landy for a while, getting in the zed is like a new car with some spring in its step. Good to hear it is getting sorted.
Old 13-07-12, 11:54 AM   #175
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Were you using the OAT stuff??

Thought it didnt corrode pipes etc..

Glad its all coming together.
Old 13-07-12, 01:27 PM   #176
p_b82
Site Supporter

yes only ever had OAT in there - no idea what the hell did this much 'damage' not even a bit of road salt should have done it in this quick - but there we go...

prob find i had a set of coolant pipes not properly galvanised or somesuch lmao...

just bit the bullet and ordered a digimafam - want to pep it up a bit sub 2k.... yet another bit to add to my costs tracking lol
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 13-07-12, 03:51 PM   #177
peterzs
promoted bloke!

When I went to a meet couple of years back, Will checked my pipes as they are a know weak point.

So not just your car suffering!!!
Old 16-07-12, 09:56 AM   #178
p_b82
Site Supporter

the oil cooler pipes are def a knwo nweak point - and i have had those changed as well - the coolant ones are usually ok though!
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 23-10-12, 04:07 PM   #179
p_b82
Site Supporter

hmm 3 months, been a bit of a pain in the proverbial tbh....

My coolant pipes were a nightmare to locate - found some eventually on a scrapper that were in good nick and have been fitted...

then next to try to find was the A|c pipe - nothing from xpart - and nothing from a scapper.

in the end had to get it made up by pirtek - typically this has taken the whole summer to eventually happen - we were going to use a mobile A|c guy to create a pipe based on mine as a template - but he went bust after doing nothing for well over a month

During this time needed another MOT - has eaten another set of rear brakes (disks and pads). not the slide pin but something else siezed on one side...

It has had the underside treated for rust - i have some serious corrosion on my car - more so than would be expected.. so either bristol uses some nasty salt in winter or i have driven through something corrosive at some point

my magic box of tricks is still no further - though i have been in contact with the guy to try to give him a swift kick up the arse.. hoping he will at least have me a PCB printed shortly and then we can get at least a basic revision firmware loaded on.... then will be a case of tweak - then flash to get the setup correct....

Of course once i manage to get the system actually fabricated this is... will be pretty loud until it works as i dont want to cut into the downpipe until we get it doing what it is designed to!

probably will be 2013 that it is finished i expect now... and then it will need some running in so prob no track days for me for another year!
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 23-10-12, 05:46 PM   #180
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

Thanks for the update, one step forward springs to mind.

Has been a fight for you one way and another, be good when its all come together, have to have a meet at a pub or even a track day somewhere!!!