theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 21-10-09, 08:57 AM   #11
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Wink

What's the fine now, £60? x 600 = £36,000, in 24 hours, makes you wonder where all the money goes!!!

peterzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-09, 12:09 PM   #12
bmm87

bmm87 is on a distinguished road
oh dear its started, they are putting them in place
Old 24-10-09, 09:17 AM   #13
Andyf

Andyf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8NMG View Post
Roadworks, cones, speed limit etc are all there for a reason. I am sure the contractors do not put cones there willy nilly just so they can delay your journeys. Not everyone works 24/7 and do you know how long it will take to set up traffic management on a 3-4 miles stretch of a motorway. If we want good roads and infrastructures then we will have to live with roadworks.

As for the speed limit it is there to protect the workforce. Next time try standing on a layby within inches of cars doing 70mph next to you. That is not pleasant, and imagine those people working on the roads with only some plastic cones protecting them from numpty drivers doing more than the speed limit.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmm87 View Post
look mate, there are 2 mile strectches of the damn thing that havnt been touched in months, but the cones are still there and the 30mph speed restriction!! i hav absolutley no problem with the speed when there are people working, in fact i usually go slower when passing them, but even then the work only gets dun at night

and if u think its just me that thinks its ridiculous, in the paper today, in 24 hours they caught 600 people doin more than 40mph, as everyone thinks its a joke!
If 600 people are stupid enough to get done for speeding when it is clearly signed then that's their problem, these idiots are the kind of people that shouldn't be allowed to do 70mph when there are no road works! Unfortunately people ignore the speed limit signs so they have to enforce it with cameras, if people could be trusted it wouldn't be necessary. I stopped an idiot doing 90 through a 50 at night with the matrix flashing, "Workforce in road, slow" he total ignored it and admitted seeing it.

Those workers have a very dangerous job, I wouldn't want to do it, a 40mph limit for a few miles is not the end of the world.
Old 24-10-09, 10:19 AM   #14
bmm87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
Well said.

If 600 people are stupid enough to get done for speeding when it is clearly signed then that's their problem, these idiots are the kind of people that shouldn't be allowed to do 70mph when there are no road works! Unfortunately people ignore the speed limit signs so they have to enforce it with cameras, if people could be trusted it wouldn't be necessary. I stopped an idiot doing 90 through a 50 at night with the matrix flashing, "Workforce in road, slow" he total ignored it and admitted seeing it.

Those workers have a very dangerous job, I wouldn't want to do it, a 40mph limit for a few miles is not the end of the world.
right so we are not allowed to question the fact that this is inappropriate, and im not talking about speeding past the workforce if u had bothered to read my posts! they shouldnt turn what is effectivly an 8 mile stretch of motorway to 40 mph, then only work at one tiny bit at a time! fair enough, reduce the speed, but 40 is bordering on ridiculous!
Old 24-10-09, 11:06 AM   #15
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Wink

Whats the reason for working at night???

Cost wise you have to pay overtime/night shift working rates.

Youve got to light up the area thats being worked.

Health and safety must be a lot harder to comply with, ie. dark areas, shadows, tirdness. trip hazards, being seen.

Just working at night with the best lights in the world you will still get shadows.

All the materials being moved into and off site, loading/ unloading.

And if the work area is being coned off/ava speed cameras in use 24/7 why not work during the day???

All I think is thats its counter productive, after travelling at 20 mph in a 40mph a.s.cam. area without any work being carried out, next time you come across a slow down, men working sign, you dont give it the regard you should.

peterzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-09, 02:27 PM   #16
Andyf

Andyf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
right so we are not allowed to question the fact that this is inappropriate, and im not talking about speeding past the workforce if u had bothered to read my posts! they shouldnt turn what is effectivly an 8 mile stretch of motorway to 40 mph, then only work at one tiny bit at a time! fair enough, reduce the speed, but 40 is bordering on ridiculous!
And if you had bothered to read my post you would have seen that at no point did I say anything about questioning whether 40 mph was inappropriate or not, I merely said it is not a big deal to do 40mph for a few miles and that cameras are necessary to ensure it is complied with.

Anyway, do you seriously think that someone somewhere sat down and plucked the 40mph figure from the air thinking it would cause maximum disruption to everyone? Or do you think they followed policy that has been carefully worked out?
40mph may seem slow but they have obviously come up with it for a reason and not just to annoy people.
I don't know why they don't seem to work during the day but again there must be a reason.
Old 24-10-09, 11:46 PM   #17
grimmy

I don't know where this "they only work at night " thing came from i am up and down that road three maybe four times a day and as far as i can tell it's twenty four hours a day when work is going on, i work at road sides every now and again and even 40 mph is scary when people are going past. let's not forget that this section of road has been in dire need of upgrading for at least 15 years and we must accept that there is going to be disruption after all there is at least three bridges which need demolished and rebuilt never mind how many streches which need widened as far as i am concerned the vultures are probably a good thing while the work is going on.
Old 25-10-09, 12:21 AM   #18
bmm87

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmy View Post
I don't know where this "they only work at night " thing came from i am up and down that road three maybe four times a day and as far as i can tell it's twenty four hours a day when work is going on, i work at road sides every now and again and even 40 mph is scary when people are going past. let's not forget that this section of road has been in dire need of upgrading for at least 15 years and we must accept that there is going to be disruption after all there is at least three bridges which need demolished and rebuilt never mind how many streches which need widened as far as i am concerned the vultures are probably a good thing while the work is going on.
i agree, i wouldnt like to be workin out there either, which is why i dnt drive any faster than 40 whilst going through the area where they are working! but from moodiesburn lights all the way to auchenkilns there is rarely anyone working!
Old 25-10-09, 07:52 AM   #19
markoos08

markoos08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i agree, i wouldnt like to be workin out there either, which is why i dnt drive any faster than 40 whilst going through the area where they are working! but from moodiesburn lights all the way to auchenkilns there is rarely anyone working!
Hate to disagree,but Grimmy is right,there are all sorts of works going on,not necessarily right next to the road,but clearly in the associated area.Clearly this speed limit isn't being imposed willy-nilly but for a very good reason.As the original poster I didn't think it would provoke such a debate,as it was just meant to be a heads up for anyone who hadn't seen any news items on the cameras.

Last edited by markoos08; 25-10-09 at 05:00 PM. Reason: crap typing
markoos08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-09, 09:10 AM   #20
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
As I was using this very road yesterday, the yellow vultures (SPEC's) are in operation, if you look they are run by generators right next to them.
Anyway the locations of these cameras are:

To/from the M73 to Slip road onto/from A80
2 at the bridge near Balloch area

As for the idiots that dont abide with the speed limit (40MPH), it is very funny to watch as these folk go tearing past then brake right at the camera, silly idiots!
And as for the Comet van that was in front of me yesterday he is defo gonna get points and a fine, he was powering past these cameras like they didnt exsist.

Last edited by KevG; 25-10-09 at 09:19 AM.
KevG is offline   Reply With Quote