theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 02-08-10, 10:14 AM   #1
Hayden

Hayden is on a distinguished road
Tell me about ZS 180 please

Ive just joined the site because Ive been offerd a '02 MG ZS 180, Its got 69k miles on the clock and a new ish mot.

Ive never had a MG and know nothing about them but really like the look of them,
What should I be looking out for? whats the MPG going to be like on short runs with the V6?

Thanks all
Hayden
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 10:23 AM   #2
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Welcome

You've found the best site mate for the ZS mate and there are plenty of guys here with lots of mechanical knowhow and few others who just like a good chat.

I've had 3 now. I managed 31+ on a run in my 180, but if you get a heavy foot and with the V6 you will, expect 25ish.

Have a look here for other bits and bobs....

http://themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11079
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 10:33 AM   #3
Hayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Welcome

You've found the best site mate for the ZS mate and there are plenty of guys here with lots of mechanical knowhow and few others who just like a good chat.

I've had 3 now. I managed 31+ on a run in my 180, but if you get a heavy foot and with the V6 you will, expect 25ish.

Have a look here for other bits and bobs....

http://themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11079
wont let me see the link?
Old 02-08-10, 10:49 AM   #4
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Hmmm .... Sorry.

Here's my post on that thread .... It was just a general post on 180s.

Vis motors can be repaired by yourself or my old man can repair them for beer tokens.

You can get a brand new plenum off the 'bay for £450 which includes both vis motors, or a second hand one for circa £200 from a breaker.

Belt change is £350 from stamford's recommended mobile mechanic and so now compares favourably to the 4 cylinder cars. Mk 2's are getting near the 6yr - 90K mile recommended change so factor in that expense if/when you're looking to give some leverage on price.

Door handles. When you open the door - a common fault will show where the handle surround comes away from the actual door slightly. Again - there is a fix - but another leverage area - or a fix from a dealer before you take it away.

Tax is ?215 so long as the car is registered pre-March 2006 - so anything up to an "06" or "56" plate.

The 180 is a truly awesome under-rated car. The tuning potential is not as great as perhaps something with a turbo, but a few mods around induction - exhaust and decat will get you to around 190-195, so long as everything else works properly. Add a remap as Stamford had done - 200+ .

Don't know how old you are mate so insurance can put some off - I'm 39 and pay £280 fully comp protected with business use.

Car does 30 mpg on a run - but can drop to under 20 if you listen to the V6 go through the motions as it was meant.

Every car has it's issues. But we've all got one - And - you'll love it. If you can afford it - go large - 180 all day long - but for the looks and less running costs - I can't imagine there being a lot between the 110 and 120 performance wise , but make sure that you get one with the full 180 kit - bodykit and 11 spoke alloys. If you do some mileage - Don't forget about the diesel. A few on here running well and probably more tuning potential !

You'll also still have access to loads of knowledge on these cars via this and all of the other related sites ... so go for it.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 11:01 AM   #5
roverdave81

roverdave81 is on a distinguished road
zs 180 v6

mpg round town i get 25 and on a run 33
thing to watch out for are
1. The inlet manifold dose it rattle on tick ova and gets louder as you increase speed as this can cost anything from ?500 for a new to ?150 second hand plus fitting. The other big one is,

2. has it had the cam belts and water pump change as these are done at 90k or six year what ever come round 1st and cost anywhere from ?450 to ?900

3. serive history what it like as will give you an idea how the car has been looked after

4. vis motor on the inlet can fail which will cause loss of power to the engine way to tell dose the car feel flat as it hit 3000 rpm or dose it has a kick of power

5. clucth slave cylinder can fail but a modified kit can be got which is easy to fit and cost around ?150
apart from that they are very good

best way to get the most power out of it is decat pipe full s/s exhaust system air filter and a remap by matt reidy give you around 200bhp
after that your talking big money i.e lsd in gear box lightend flywheel polished ported heads with cams
and will seen you around 220bhp

ps make sure to fit an oil catch tank to it seem to help the life of the inlet manifold
all the best dave
roverdave81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 11:01 AM   #6
Hayden

Im 33 and ive had a quote for ?208 fully comp, I like the 180 v6 because of the sound! just a bit worried about the MPG, Ive got a E36 BMW 318is at the moment but am selling it because we need something that can tow a caravan
Old 02-08-10, 11:09 AM   #7
roverdave81

roverdave81 is on a distinguished road
zs 180 v6

these cars could tow a caravan all day long but you will prob find with a caravan on a run mpg is gunna be around the 20 to 25 mark cos of pulling the wait as i went to scotland from coventry last year with a roof box on and got 26mpg
roverdave81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 12:29 PM   #8
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
to the site Hayden, take a look here, there's a three section buyer's guide that will help you.
Old 02-08-10, 08:31 PM   #9
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
If you love your wallet buy a 120, if you love your heart buy a 180!!!
A undiscovered classic, the v6 noise is brill, and combined with that boot and 4 doors, keeps me happy, and i can still take my mum shopping (handy when she paid for it!!!)
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 08:38 PM   #10
Craig
Back Again!

Craig is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
Im 33 and ive had a quote for ?208 fully comp, I like the 180 v6 because of the sound! just a bit worried about the MPG, Ive got a E36 BMW 318is at the moment but am selling it because we need something that can tow a caravan
I went from a 180 to an e36 318i mate, the differene in mpg isnt that much tbh. I am selling my bmw cos I want another 180. Since I got rid of the 180 I have had a Prelude 2.2 vtec, a Volvo T5 GT coupe, an e39 523se and now the 318i vert. None of them are a patch on the 180!

Craig Darroch

Create your badge
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote