theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 04-02-11, 09:52 AM   #1
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Got a Dilema.

What with rising fuel the increase in traffic and the possibility that the tax will shoot up Ive been seriously considering parting with the zed for something that can filter through the traffic costs no more than ?50 tax and has a much higher power to weight ratio. Fed up of sitting in traffic for an hour at 8 for what can be a 15min journey!

Just insured the zed for a year and going to put 12months tax on it this month so wont be for a while but Im seriously thinking about, as Ross put it becoming a power ranger.

Know there are a few bikers on here, whats the procedure with the test? Rough cost to start up with test, leathers helmet etc....

Just need to work on the gf as she thinks im nuts and my Mum would go mental!

Obviously a bike isnt that pratical, just wondered if a biker can tell me the cons of having a bike?

I know the dangers of bikes as my uncle was killed on one. Thinking of a 125 to begin with then get something abit tastier after a bit of experience.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 09:57 AM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I sympathise with you, I too would like another bike but have been told no-way by the wife and kids! Plenty of pro's and con's, biggest con's being winter, rain, getting tooled up everytime, higher maintenance and inconsiderate car drivers! Pro's are easy, cheap to run, nimble in traffic etc.

As for costs, no idea but we do have a few on here who will enlighten you.
Old 04-02-11, 10:16 AM   #3
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Yer the weather is the main thing that puts me off, the fact i may have to use public transport now and then!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 04-02-11, 10:30 AM   #4
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Jay

Before I took my kids on I brought a brand spanking new Honda CBF125 (still for sale... lol)

I ran that alongside the ZS180 and for me, 28, on a learner plate (for the bike) it cost ?198 a year Fully comp insurance, ?15 a year tax and the bike does 300 - 400 miles to a tank of fuel (?8 max from empt to full... probably ?10 now) oh and ?46 a month finance...

So thats the equivalent of about ?26 a week to run the bike (incuding purchase cost of the bike) plus ?40 to service it once a year...

The ZS180 costs me ?50 a week in fuel just for the commute!

So, I was actually SAVING money to have the Bike alongside the car!

Down sides... Obviously the weather, but that didn't put me off... the amount of gear you have to put on for a 10 second trip (helmet, boots, trousers, jacket - on top of your normal clothes!)

Oh and the safety gear is not cheap either! (Although I could probably do you a deal on that if you happen to be my size!) - however that is a one off purchase, and can almost be brought as normal clothes (apparently normal designer jeans are ?150 these days? fek that Tesco Value all the way for me )

Best Pro... Well the moment you open that bike up (yes even from the 125! although the bigger bikes are better) on a nice clear stretch of road.. you'll know the pros then! And skipping traffic is a bonus too

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk

Last edited by ZS; 04-02-11 at 10:32 AM.
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 10:37 AM   #5
neiljm0

neiljm0 will become famous soon enough
at one time a 50cc could be ridden on a full uk driving license not sure now, but a 125 you will need a cbt, or you could go for a direct drive which is i think quite expensive. and decide what bike you want gears or twist and go
not sure on prices when our lass got her 125 vesper the shop wouldnt let her drive it out they delivered it to the test centre once passed you can drive on L plates for 2 years before having to do it again but the actual test is 2 parts theory and practical you can get a cd/rom or you can practise online with the theory it costs less than a couple of quid. i passed my bike test 30 years ago this month nothing like it is today
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ide/DG_4022530
http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/Training.aspx

Last edited by neiljm0; 04-02-11 at 10:45 AM.
neiljm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 10:39 AM   #6
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Neil...

Thats almost correct

There is now three parts to your test, not including the CBT

The CBT at Silverbikes is ?80

and they will do a three day course for ?300 - 400 which includes the two practicle tests... although you need to do the theory before hand (See the Module 1 and Module 2 test from your second link)

Old 04-02-11, 10:43 AM   #7
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Cheers for that.

Well working from those figures that gives a rough saving of ?1200 in running costs! I thought it would be alot lower than that!! If the tax on the 180 goes up next year it will be even more!

Would save almost ?800 on insurance, tax and parking alone!! I dont do many miles a year, would only really be used for trips to uni and work.

Long journeys we normanlly go in the gfs car anyway as its loads cheaper on fuel.

What sort of cost is the test? Edit: spent too long typing this!

Also how does ncb earnt in a car work assume a bike license is completly seperate. Which means if Im not the main driver on a car for a few years will I loose my ncb?

Cant really justify running both as I dont do the mileage to get the saving.

The gf said why not get a less powerful car thats cheaper to run, in which I said why dont you by cheaper clothes. So now she sees my point. lol

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 04-02-11, 10:50 AM   #8
ZS
IT Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
Also how does ncb earnt in a car work assume a bike license is completly seperate. Which means if Im not the main driver on a car for a few years will I loose my ncb?
TBH it is almost worth buying a cheap crappy car and insuring it to keep your no claims... doesn't even need an MOT or anything, leave it to one side

But yes I beleive if you don't have insurance for more than 3 years (IIRC) you loose your NCD. Also if you don't drive a car for 10 years you loose your Car License!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
The gf said why not get a less powerful car thats cheaper to run, in which I said why dont you by cheaper clothes. So now she sees my point. lol
That had me and a collegue in stitches! Quality argument!

TBH the only reasons I'm getting rid of the bike are because of cost (sounds strange but I can't use the bike any more due to point 2, so still paying insurance and finance for no reason!) and the fact I can't put two children under 5 on the back of it... I'm single so no GF or wife etc to sort the kids, its all down to me!

Old 04-02-11, 10:52 AM   #9
neiljm0

neiljm0 will become famous soon enough
our lasses has been stuck in the gdn since summer fair weather biker. im glad it wasnt like that when i passed my test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vespa_lx_125_2007_1_lgw.jpg (71.5 KB, 3 views)
neiljm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 10:53 AM   #10
ZS
IT Administrator

Oh, one other point...

The cost above only make sence with a 125... anything bigger and its less of a saving. - My collegue only rides bikes, has a 1200 BMW thing (not my style) but pay's more in fuel than My friends corsa, as much in insurance as my 180 and more in servicing costs than my ZS and the corsa added together...

Plus whoever buys my bike won't pay as much finance as its being sold for a lot cheaper that I paid for it (09 plate too)