theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 04-02-11, 10:56 AM   #11
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Im a named driver on the gfs car, wonder if theres a cover that allows two named drivers? Or one that allows named driver to earn ncb as then I could split her insurance cost and it would be a win win.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 11:00 AM   #12
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS View Post
Oh, one other point...

The cost above only make sence with a 125... anything bigger and its less of a saving. - My collegue only rides bikes, has a 1200 BMW thing (not my style) but pay's more in fuel than My friends corsa, as much in insurance as my 180 and more in servicing costs than my ZS and the corsa added together...

Plus whoever buys my bike won't pay as much finance as its being sold for a lot cheaper that I paid for it (09 plate too)
Yer id run a 125 to begin with at least, even I can see its madness to jump staight on a RSv4 or something meaty!

Got a mate with an RS125 thats doing his full test soon and wants a ninja so may end up with that. Know its up together as helped rebuilt the entire bike.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 04-02-11, 12:45 PM   #13
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
My views.

Downsides -
  • Weather. As bad in the summer as the winter cause unless you're an idiot who rides in shorts and flip-flops you'll cook. When it rains, even the best gear costing hundreds will leak. In the winter although you'll get wherever you're going quicker, it'll take you an hour to warm up when you get there. If your gear got wet on the way, unless you have a drying room, it'll be wet when you go to put it on 8hrs later to come home.
  • Hazards. Suddenly everything becomes a hazard especially in poor weather. People don't see you and you have to spend plenty time looking at the road surface taking in potholes, drains, white lines etc and when they are wet - they are a nightmare.
  • Death. Very small percentage of road users are bikers. Very high percentage of deaths and serious injuries are bikers.
Positives.
  • Cheap so long as you stay with a small engine bike - but the service intervals are more regular and they are not cheap to service.
  • Quicker for a commute, but, remember to factor in the amount of time it takes to get all the gear on. It took me an extra 10 minutes to get the gear on in the winter, but it was a 20 minute quicker commute. Worth it ?
  • Nothing compares to the outright performance of a high power motorcycle pound for pound.
My advice - have a go and try it or you'll always wish you did - but, keep a car too - even a little ZR 1.4 so that you have a choice in poor weather or if you want to go somewhere incase you need a bag.

Who am I to comment/advise ?

Dan - GPZ500 - ZZR600 - VFR 750 - Triumph sprint 900 - Police motorcyclist and having ridden on duty and very quickly whilst on surveillance - Yamaha Thunderace 1000 - ZZR1100 - CBR 1000 - Diversion 900.

Last edited by Dan1971; 05-02-11 at 10:26 AM.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 12:48 PM   #14
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Well Put Dan

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 01:21 PM   #15
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS View Post
Well Put Dan
+1

Cheers Dan thats good food for thought,

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 08-02-11, 01:56 PM   #16
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Really cant decide on this one, been looking at 125s and a mate has offered me enough parts to build up a gsxr400

Part of me cant wait to get on a bike, have about a 3 mile trip to uni this morning at 8 when I got to traffic I checked my sat nav, had 2.4 miles still to go and it was crawling all the way to the uni car park!!

Although I drove home with windows open and just listened to the V6. Would like to get the car in a mint condition and keep it.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 08-02-11, 02:02 PM   #17
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
I say do both Jay

Keep the 180 and have a cheap to run 125 as well (Mines for sale lol)

Old 08-02-11, 02:12 PM   #18
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Yer that would be ideal but theres no way I can justify both.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 08-02-11, 02:15 PM   #19
ZS
IT Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
Yer that would be ideal but theres no way I can justify both.
Why not?

You saw my sums above... even with the finance I was saving money

Obviously not now because I'm not using the bike (purely due to kids) so... pick up a cheap bargain and save money

Old 08-02-11, 02:34 PM   #20
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

I wouldnt do the mileage on the bike to save money on the fuel to cover the insurance and tax on the 180.

Getting insurance quotes of ?400+ for the bike plus the cost of the bike (want to spend ?1500 mark) Plus test and gear. I wouldnt save the 2 grand on fuel to justify running both, I just dont do enough miles fuel isnt a major problem with the 180. Its the traffic and other 'legal' costs.

Although selling the 180 would give me the money to get a bike on the road and Id save about a grand on insurance and tax on the 180. Then petrol money is a bonus.

2012 BMW 320d Sport