theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 22-12-12, 09:33 AM   #1
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Don't know what to do?

I was expecting a massive fail on the MOT on the ZS this week and
it's getting long in the tooth at 118k,
the aircon is noisy,
it has an oil leak,
NSF CV joint is going,
OSF brake is sticking under heavy breaking (this is the only caliper that hasn't been changed),
3 of the door handles have failed (all 3 have been previously repaired,
the good one hasn't),
the bluetooth isn't working.
And I've had it for 5 years.

The MGF needs money chucking at it asthe suspension on one side goes flat in 6 months and I need to pay someone to cure the emisions problem for the MOT as I've not been able to DIY the problem.

The maestro needs masses of work and will always be a toy.

The ZR is Mrs TC's car and it did look like she was going to start using it for work due to promotion and working further from home but this has been delayed.

This time of year gets depressing any way, topped with nearly loosing my job and health worries with several members of the family and I was looking for a way to cheer myself up. A new car always does this, Jays yellow ZS come up at a bargin price, followed by several others, all I missed out on by a fraction but I'm now in car buying mode.

I had a clear idea of what I wanted and how much I was willing to spend but the ZS passed it's test with 1 advisory on 1 tyre, normally I get a new pair of tyres before the test but assuming it would fail I hadn't bothered.

Do I keep looking or do I spend money on the cars I have.

I could repair the above list and do the LSD and flywheel on the ZS or just continue running it into the ground, get the MGF sorted and use it more and move the Maestro here and fiddle with it when I get time.

I could continue looking for another car.

Not sure what to do, what would you do?
Old 22-12-12, 09:37 AM   #2
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
I'd get rid of the MGF and the ZS and get one decent car for the money I raised plus whatever else you've got. Too many cars spreads any money you've got to spend on upkeep / improvements too thinly ....

Saying that - if you put your mind and effort to it, you'd get the ZS sorted in a couple of days.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-12, 09:55 AM   #3
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Better the devil you know I say. But when you have in your head buying a car it's impossible to get rid of it! Sell the F and put this towards your ZS or sell yours and the F and buy a good mk2 as Dan has said. Depends what you really want.
Old 22-12-12, 09:57 AM   #4
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
Sell the F, you known the ZS makes more sense. Its the better car...Especially as its YELLOW.
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-12, 10:09 AM   #5
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Not wanting to get rid of the F, officially Mrs TC thinks it's hers as that got around buying it in the first place, and she does drive it in the summer. I'm just frustrated it failed this years test on emissions after getting it through last years by replacing the entire exhaust system.

Part of the problem with working on my cars is the lack of shelter and a drive that is too small to fit most cars on so I have to work on the road. This summer never happened and I'm getting too old to appriciate getting wet, especially as I work most outside.
Old 22-12-12, 10:10 AM   #6
talkingcars

And TBH the current value of the ZS is less than £500 and the F with no MOT is only about £300.
Old 22-12-12, 10:24 AM   #7
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
I would cut my losses with the fnd get rid it will free up some space and some money.and I would get the zs back into shape.while it is a fairly big list its not a horrendous one and has been said most if it could be knocked out in a day.
Old 22-12-12, 10:49 AM   #8
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
I've had an F and yes they are a great little fun toy card or a little blast around when its nice and sunny and warm but you have the Maestro for the toy car too.
I would personally say if the F is more a summer car that would probably be the better option to sell that and put the money into the zs as with everything that's been done to it to give it up on the list that's wrong would be a shame.
You've had it 5 years you say, you know it well and know its history, in the long run the little bit of outlay to keep it going again may be better than buying something that could be hiding some real horrors.

The main thing though is what do you really want to do with them, if you have it in your mind you want something else that's a hard feeling to shift.
Old 22-12-12, 10:53 AM   #9
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Well, now the ZS is MOT'd, do the work and get it back to scratch.

Better the devil you know, I reckon.
Old 22-12-12, 11:00 AM   #10
talkingcars

I don't want to get rid of the F, it's a great little driver and at 34k it's hardly run in, the condition of it is good except for this suspension leak and the emisson problem, it's got new brakes all round, alcantra, hoops etc.

It took us all over europe last summer without missing a beat.

Mrs TC is scared of driving the T16 anyway and I don't think she'd let me get rid of the F.

Cash isn't a problem, spending it is - LOL.