theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 24-04-09, 10:43 AM   #1
lewerty

mk2 problem

got a problem with the car drives fine but randomly cuts out engine managment light comes on u try to start it and its having none of it turn the car off and leave for a few seconds, then start it up and is ok, has done this 3 times in a week?? has recently had the crank shaft sensor changed, and took it back to the garage today to get them to check it again and it fine with no faults code showing, anyone got any ideas??

many thanks

james
Old 24-04-09, 11:03 AM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
How long does the system keep the fault codes? I know the Vauxhall ones get wiped after so many ignition turns. Still sounds like crank sensor symptoms.
Old 24-04-09, 12:24 PM   #3
lewerty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
How long does the system keep the fault codes? I know the Vauxhall ones get wiped after so many ignition turns. Still sounds like crank sensor symptoms.
turn the car off wait for a bit and will start fine garage i took it too said crank sensor was workin fine ??
Old 24-04-09, 12:53 PM   #4
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
Crank sensor, as what Sheddist said over on XPF, sounds like the same symptoms.

KevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-09, 04:59 PM   #5
RalphG

RalphG is on a distinguished road
It is NOT the crank sensor itself. It may be the wiring to the sensor, but the crank sensor is working correctly.

BTW this car is fitted with after market cams and a piggy back ECU.

By how much do those who have gained by war fall short of the number of those who have perished in it? No doubt you will reply that there can be no comparison, that the dead cannot be numbered, while the living who have been rewarded may be summed up with three figures.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-09, 09:09 PM   #6
lewerty

quick update broke down again, AA came out the fuel cut off switch had been activated??
Old 24-04-09, 10:59 PM   #7
TjP

TjP is on a distinguished road
Could it be immobiliser issues?

I had a few problems with starting my car when I first got it, which I eventually put down to the car having been stood at the dealer's for a while, and put in a new battery which seemed to solve everything. Only once did the car cut out (during a test drive). The more common problem for me was getting the car to start sometimes; it would turn over but not start, which I think was down to the immobiliser. Not sure if the immobiliser and battery problems were linked but I havent had any issues since replacing the battery.

Probably not related but thought I would share...
Old 25-04-09, 09:31 AM   #8
lewerty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjP View Post
Could it be immobiliser issues?

I had a few problems with starting my car when I first got it, which I eventually put down to the car having been stood at the dealer's for a while, and put in a new battery which seemed to solve everything. Only once did the car cut out (during a test drive). The more common problem for me was getting the car to start sometimes; it would turn over but not start, which I think was down to the immobiliser. Not sure if the immobiliser and battery problems were linked but I havent had any issues since replacing the battery.

Probably not related but thought I would share...
ummm u saying immobiliser, has got me thinking when unlock the car then put the little one in the back in her car seat, then try to start it, it wont and the alarm thing sounds i have to relock and open the car, i just thought this was a better security feature of the mk2????
Old 25-04-09, 10:39 AM   #9
RudeDogg1

RudeDogg1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewerty View Post
ummm u saying immobiliser, has got me thinking when unlock the car then put the little one in the back in her car seat, then try to start it, it wont and the alarm thing sounds i have to relock and open the car, i just thought this was a better security feature of the mk2????
hasnt the mk2 just got the same security system as the mk1
RudeDogg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-09, 10:44 AM   #10
TjP

TjP is on a distinguished road
I believe the mk2 has better security(?) When I was looking to buy my ZS, some insurance companies wouldnt insure a mk1 unless you had a tracker fitted, whereas the mk2 was fine as standard.