theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 27-10-07, 11:16 AM   #11
Murray203ps
Site Supporter

Murray203ps is on a distinguished road
Couldn't really care less tbh.I drive my car as hard as you possibly could, with it never having broken down leaving me in a sticky situation.Its got 75,000 miles on the clock and will still put a lot of cars with greater power to shame(including Astra diesels).

0-60 6.3secs 1/4 mile 14.7@92.5mph
Murray203ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-07, 12:08 PM   #12
Mat C
Who watches the Watchmen?

Mat C is on a distinguished road
Hehe, my point about a ZS180's power (all 175 bhp of it) is that for some reason we seem to think that's powerful. A 2 litre 4 pot Clio Sport has more power than that, 22bhp more to be exact yet we never hear of them being crowned bad drivers. I really do think that driving an MG does bring aout a certain degree of arrogance and this strange belief that we are driving sub-supercars! 175 bhp is not fast, no way. My old 400+bhp Cosworth, now that was fast and would show anyone this side of a 911 Turbo what real speed was.
Oh, Murray - if you think that even with 203ps that you could beat an 888 Astra Diesel around a track then be my guest! It has the same BHP as what you have but with 330 lbft (not NM !!) makes it incredibly quick through the gears. 0-60 is quicker than ours, 0-100 is quicker than ours and every in gear time is faster than ours. They are only marginaly slower around a race track than a VXR Astra but in the real world they would leave a VXR for dead plus they don't suffer the torque steer that VXR's do because 888 engineering have all but eliminated it.
Mat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-07, 01:17 PM   #13
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
But you love your ZS right? 'Cos I'm not feeling any love for it in your posts!!

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-07, 01:56 PM   #14
ian zs180

he has lots of problems with his by the sound of it but i dont and love my mg and as for the 400 brake cossie bet that was real reliable wasnt it ?? i can imagine it was
Old 28-10-07, 12:06 AM   #15
Southern Storm
I'm Zeddin It

Southern Storm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat C View Post
Hehe, my point about a ZS180's power (all 175 bhp of it) is that for some reason we seem to think that's powerful. A 2 litre 4 pot Clio Sport has more power than that, 22bhp more to be exact yet we never hear of them being crowned bad drivers. I really do think that driving an MG does bring aout a certain degree of arrogance and this strange belief that we are driving sub-supercars! 175 bhp is not fast, no way. My old 400+bhp Cosworth, now that was fast and would show anyone this side of a 911 Turbo what real speed was.
Oh, Murray - if you think that even with 203ps that you could beat an 888 Astra Diesel around a track then be my guest! It has the same BHP as what you have but with 330 lbft (not NM !!) makes it incredibly quick through the gears. 0-60 is quicker than ours, 0-100 is quicker than ours and every in gear time is faster than ours. They are only marginaly slower around a race track than a VXR Astra but in the real world they would leave a VXR for dead plus they don't suffer the torque steer that VXR's do because 888 engineering have all but eliminated it.
Right I know what you mean. And some valid points. Maybe it isn't fast but it is agreeably quick with good handling and looks.
If you really don't rate it..... why on earth have you still got one? We have enough of other people slating them without fellow owners doing the same.
Southern Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-07, 08:43 AM   #16
Mat C

You don't get what i'm getting at ! I've not once said their's anything wrong with the ZS180 in my statement, i have just pointed out that technology and engine developement has moved on leaps and bounds and that despite what we think, our cars just aren't quick in the grand scheme of things. I love my ZS180, good looks, corners well enough to keep me out of ditches and has enough power (just) to overtake lorries on busy A roads. But you have to admit that even basic rep mobiles are now punching well above their weight and can give us a good pasting ! My absolute point is - we need to get this idea out of our heads that we are driving some kind of fast car because the stark truth is we aren't - we just drive a nice V6 engined car wearing a combat uniform.
Old 28-10-07, 08:46 AM   #17
Mat C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian zs180 View Post
he has lots of problems with his by the sound of it but i dont and love my mg and as for the 400 brake cossie bet that was real reliable wasnt it ?? i can imagine it was

Never had a single problem with all 3 of my MG's Ian and i love my current one and i loved the other 2 ! I'm just a realist who opens my eyes to the real world ! And the Cossie was perfect too. Never missed a beat. Had to get rid of it because i was in my 20's and just couldn't afford to run it.
Old 28-10-07, 08:48 AM   #18
Mat C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
But you love your ZS right? 'Cos I'm not feeling any love for it in your posts!!

Yes, i'm very fond of my ZS and i'm proud to own it and i feel very lucky to own such a nice car ! But their's always something better out there and my eyes are wide open to that. There is a world beyond dear old MG you know
Old 28-10-07, 09:09 AM   #19
Fez

Fez is on a distinguished road
I see what Mat is saying. I think he saying Technology has moved on and the handing is great but in the power department the MG doesn't give you an advantage on other cars in the same market sector or even the new diesel sector(140/150 bhp) until you get to the top end.

It doesn't make it a bad car or a car you can't love. But it can't punch above it own weight and even needs a semi good driver to punch at its own weight. As every performance car now has at least 200 brake.

Last edited by Fez; 28-10-07 at 09:11 AM.
Fez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-07, 09:31 AM   #20
Mat C

Fez, if i could buy you a pint i would ! That's 100% my point !