theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 09-06-17, 07:53 PM   #1
LozMachine
Site Supporter

LozMachine is a jewel in the roughLozMachine is a jewel in the roughLozMachine is a jewel in the rough
Mk2 Cill's

Hi all , I've made extensive enquiries into having these reproduced in aluminium, just thinking would there be much of a market for these? I know the dimple's on mine do my biscuit tin right in, they really let the car down in a certain light. Dimple's Dimple's Dimple's . Any thought's?

Last edited by LozMachine; 09-06-17 at 07:56 PM.
LozMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 10:23 PM   #2
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Sounds interesting but as they are structural don't they need to be steel so they can be welded to the rest of the body?
Old 09-06-17, 11:58 PM   #3
LukeZS96

LukeZS96 is on a distinguished road
Are you talking about the actual sills or the plastic side skirts as part of the 180 kit? If it's a replacement for the plastic skirts as part of the body kit then I will be following this with interest because mine let the car down alot
LukeZS96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 07:39 AM   #4
ian zs180

ian zs180 is on a distinguished road
Same here the side skirts are letting mine down aswell . When you give it a good polish and the sun hits it the side skirts look awful . What the hell mgr was thinking putting steel ones bonded to the skirt is beyond me they should have used ally or stainless but then again all down to cost I suppose . The problem is though now the skirt already has the dimples in it wouldn't this mean new skirts aswell and getting hold of them new now would be difficult .
ian zs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 10:52 AM   #5
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
if it was the plastic side skirts my ones were dimpled by the brackets rustin and pushing them out.

I just pulled them away from the top, got the rusty brackets out and just stuck it all back.

The front one was twisted back on itself where it must have taken a front clout, pushed it away and left a big gap!!
Old 10-06-17, 03:13 PM   #6
LozMachine
Site Supporter

LozMachine is a jewel in the roughLozMachine is a jewel in the roughLozMachine is a jewel in the rough
Yeah , sorry , should have made that clearer, I'm talking about the actual bodykit part ,
Old 10-06-17, 03:58 PM   #7
LukeZS96

LukeZS96 is on a distinguished road
Definite interest in this, just cleaned and waxed the car and the dimples look terrible
LukeZS96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 04:33 PM   #8
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Funny you mentioning this, ever since I've had T16 I've noticed the dimples in the mk2 sills. I guess the mk1 used better quality clips? Can't see formed sills in ally being cheap to make. The fixings need looking at as well and doubt that'll be cheap to sort unless a generic stainless clip is found and the sills adapted to accept them? However if you live on the coast the stainless and ally don't mix well. Could be some interest if correct method and parts sourced.
Old 10-06-17, 05:05 PM   #9
LozMachine
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Funny you mentioning this, ever since I've had T16 I've noticed the dimples in the mk2 sills. I guess the mk1 used better quality clips? Can't see formed sills in ally being cheap to make. The fixings need looking at as well and doubt that'll be cheap to sort unless a generic stainless clip is found and the sills adapted to accept them? However if you live on the coast the stainless and ally don't mix well. Could be some interest if correct method and parts sourced.
Made of alloy I was hoping the amount of fixing points needed would be considerably less than the plastic item, stainless and alloy are not that reactive together, not like stainless and galvanised where you get the risk of galvanic corrosion . I will email the cad drawing next week and see what prices I can get back , hopefully not too expensive, after all its quite a simple piece of forming ,with it being both flat (sides) and straight.
Old 11-06-17, 06:42 PM   #10
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
the mk2 sills came in a few varieties, I think you'd be better off sourcing the plastic sill with plastic clips, or plastic sill with full height metal clip, there is a good case to get the clips remade in alloy (laser cut with folds) based on the full height ones.

The majority of sills seem to have the half height clips that bond to the side of the sill which when corrode deform the side causing the dimple effect.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote