theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 16-10-13, 05:33 PM   #1
Ollie

Ollie is on a distinguished road
I think my Alternators gone !!!!

Hi folks, 2 days ago i went for a spin in my MGZS 1.8 120 and parked up in the supermarket car park. On returning the car would only make a rapid ''clicking'' noise when i tried to start it. The breakdown man arrived and applied the power pack - the car started. Checking across the poles he said he thought it was just a ''naffed'' battery i.e. not holding charge. I managed to get home ( 4.5 miles ).
I purchased a new battery, fitted it and the car started up straight away.
I thought i'd take it for a drive but after around 6 miles the battery and engine warning lights came on, so i thought i'd head for home. 2 miles further and all power was gone and the car stopped. 20 minutes later i tried the ignition and to my surprise it started, so off i went. On the way home the warning lights were still on but started getting dimmer just before i got home.
I believe the alternator is at fault and so have enquired and managed to get a quote of £40 from a scrap yard for a replacement.
The problem is the replacement is off of a MGZR. Will it fit? and will it be adequate??
I've posted a few questions in the past and know you're a great bunch of folks, i therefore look forward to your help.

Cheers,
Ollie.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-13, 05:37 PM   #2
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
If the ZR is a 1.8 it will be the same if both either have or both don't have aircon.

Before you spend the money though I would check the earths around the engine bay.
Old 16-10-13, 05:57 PM   #3
Ollie

Thanx, i wasn't sure about what to check for. I'll see if i can find some earthing points apart from the one directly from the battery.
thanx again.
Old 16-10-13, 06:06 PM   #4
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
if you have a multimeter you can check the alternator output, should be about 14v.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-13, 06:49 PM   #5
Ollie

I have one, but i'm not too sure if its working properly - i checked the battery with engine off = 11.47 V, with engine ticking over 11.46 V.
Old 16-10-13, 07:04 PM   #6
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Ah right the voltage with the engine off isn't too bad, but with it running it should be somewhere between 14 and 14.4, so it looks like the alternator has had it.

Old 16-10-13, 07:22 PM   #7
Ollie

thanx, i'll check the scrap yard deal out. i just hope it matches .
Old 16-10-13, 07:44 PM   #8
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

A lot of the K4 engines use the same alternator so there should be something that'll do the job

Old 16-10-13, 07:49 PM   #9
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

There only seems to be 2 variations aircon or not, so any 25/zr or 45/zs will be good.
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID003168

Old 16-10-13, 09:02 PM   #10
Ollie

I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN. The question now is which for the A/C model ???