theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 01-12-13, 06:01 PM   #11
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
Its a long shot, but happens a lot to Fiestas, does the dipstick look long enough? Some Fords have the level marker as an insert on the metal and it forms a weak spot and it drops off, thus making the dipstick shorter...................
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 06:04 PM   #12
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Yer the dipstick is fine, got the min mark then some fins on the bottom.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 10:12 AM   #13
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Ordered some oil and a filter from opie last night, cars only got to last me this final year at uni then I can break it for parts. As long as it lasts me 8 or so months alls good.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 03-12-13, 06:35 PM   #14
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

So this mystery continues this morning before leaving for uni I checked the oil and the dip stick was bone dry, so chucked a couple of litres that had been kicking around in a cupboard for a few years. Drove to uni, engine was possibly the quietest its ever been! When I got there I check the level again and still bone dry. So after my lectures before driving home I checked again and wow there was loads in, well over the max mark! Drove home and checked once more and guess what....bone dry!

My road is on a very slight hill but its effect on the level would be negligible.

Am I right in believing its a baffled sump? Perhaps one of the baffles has collapsed stopping oil getting to the dipstick area??

Coolant level is a tad low but its been slowly getting that way for a while.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 03-12-13, 06:56 PM   #15
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
That's very odd for sure, I don't think the slope would make that much of a difference, our drive is on a slope which makes the level drop from the max to the min mark, it's not something random like the dipstick tube not being pushed fully in ?.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 07:01 PM   #16
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
That's very odd for sure, I don't think the slope would make that much of a difference, our drive is on a slope which makes the level drop from the max to the min mark, it's not something random like the dipstick tube not being pushed fully in ?.
Dont think so made sure it was pushed right in, besides after I'd added a few extra litres it was above the max mark by 1/2" maybe even more. I cant get my head round it at all. Weird thing is the light has never come on!

Looking further not sure the sump is baffled so that would eliminate that theory. Would remove it to check if it wasn't for the manifold getting in the way.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 03-12-13, 07:06 PM   #17
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Strange one Jay.

Old 03-12-13, 07:18 PM   #18
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
It's almost like something is randomly stopping oil getting to the area of the sump where the dipstick is, but I can't think what could be doing it.

Has the engine been apart in the past?.

Old 03-12-13, 07:21 PM   #19
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Yer, well the top end at least as had the cams fitting when the engine was replaced when I first got it. Must be 3 years ago now.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 03-12-13, 07:48 PM   #20
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

I can't see that being the cause then.