AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > The Market Place > Cars For Sale

Old 03-07-09, 01:50 PM   #11
cdti

cdti is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaz View Post
Thanks for the responses, @CDTI, the exhaust needs either patching on the pipe or the backbox replacing to pass the MOT by getting it through the emissions test, unless you know someone who is willing to wave the testing rod in the fresh air for a reading

@Dan, the service book says it had its 75k service at 39k miles and has the cambelt box ticked, so id say thats a yes. However, for anyone planning on buying this car to keep i guess they would change it again sooner or later ?
If you can get definte confirmation the belts have been done, i.e. receipts for the work, id be more than interested.
cdti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 09:06 PM   #12
zaz

zaz is on a distinguished road
While it seems to have a lot of receipts for the services and work its had done, the ones that tally up with the 4th and 5th year (60k and 75k) services dont show any cambelt work done, though they do state the relevant servicing has been done that is scheduled.
The Haynes manual suggests 90k for belts with 60k advisable for mostly town driven cars. Mine sits at 47k currently so i think its safe to say that while the service book has it ticked, the belts have not been done and would be reasonably due up in 13k miles.
zaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 10:21 PM   #13
afcbadam

afcbadam is on a distinguished road
the belts on a 180 are due after 90k or 6 years which ever comes first. they have snapped after 60k, thats why its advised

Regal Autosport Astra GSI Turbo 304 bhp 356 lb/ft

Thorney motorsport Vectra vxr 305bhp 398lbft

Now its time to build a big turbo MG ZS

afcbadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 06:49 AM   #14
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
While it seems to have a lot of receipts for the services and work its had done, the ones that tally up with the 4th and 5th year (60k and 75k) services dont show any cambelt work done, though they do state the relevant servicing has been done that is scheduled.
The Haynes manual suggests 90k for belts with 60k advisable for mostly town driven cars. Mine sits at 47k currently so i think its safe to say that while the service book has it ticked, the belts have not been done and would be reasonably due up in 13k miles.
Perhaps the garage could supply details of the work actually carried out ..... ?
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 11:12 AM   #15
zaz

The receipt shows the parts schedule and unfortunately no belts are listed. I could ask but im not hopeful. That said, they are still well within tolerances.
Old 04-07-09, 12:07 PM   #16
fastmike

fastmike is on a distinguished road
Surely if its registered in 2003 the belts are due now ?
fastmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 02:37 PM   #17
zaz

According to the absolute letter of guidance, yes. Personally im not that concerned when its only 47k showing, regardless of the belts being 6 years old or not. Plus im not forking out money i wont get back for a car im not keeping. Or not driving, whichever lasts longest.

Old 04-07-09, 08:12 PM   #18
starfire039

starfire039 is on a distinguished road
As far as I'm concerned, if the car's done 30k and is 6 years old, it needs a cambelt change, no questions asked. My friends TT had it's cambelt snap- the manual recommended only mileage and said nothing about age. His cambelt went before it was "due". He successfully got £1500 out of Audi as they should have included this information in the service book, or contacted the previous owner (who was his sister from new) that there is an error in the service book.

Belt(s) MUST be replaced at a 6 year gap regardless of mileage (or if car does 90k first, even then I'd change it a little before to err on the side of caution).

.........................that said, I just checked, my 12 year old clio hasn't had a cambelt change, getting it done for my little sister when she passes her test
  • Replace/fix rattly mirror
  • Mark 2 dashboard
  • Catch tank
  • New VIS motors
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Induction kit
  • New spark plugs + oil change
  • New exhaust
  • Decat
  • Fix drivers seat mounting hole
  • Reidy Remap

starfire039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 09:36 PM   #19
zaz

Its a moot point either way, i can neither afford to change them nor want to as im not keeping the car anyway.
Old 04-07-09, 09:54 PM   #20
Alan.F

Alan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
According to the absolute letter of guidance, yes. Personally im not that concerned when its only 47k showing, regardless of the belts being 6 years old or not. Plus im not forking out money i wont get back for a car im not keeping. Or not driving, whichever lasts longest.

My 2003 180 had only done 29k when i bought her January and i hd the bets done i am glad i did because the big plastic pulley that the belt goes around broke up when we removed it so dont think that because its only done 47k it wont fail

Alan.F is offline   Reply With Quote