AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 18-01-13, 10:42 PM   #1
James Raby

James Raby will become famous soon enough
DAB head unit in a ZS??

Probably Alpine by choice
Any body done this and what kind of recommendations please?

I do have an older DAB/FM aerial screw fit and push fit connections (2 cables)

What would need to be done etc?
Old 18-01-13, 10:59 PM   #2
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I've had a kenwood DAB H/U for about 18 months and am generally very pleased except that it takes ages to find a channel, can take the whole 20 minute journey to work on a Monday morning to change from Planet Rock (weekend listening) to Radio 4 (week day listening), it has a nice feature that will swap to FM if there is an FM version when it looses DAB but there are a couple of places where it flits between one and the other which gets confusing as FM is a couple of seconds ahead.

I am using the standard aerial fitted with a Rover 45 whip and use a DAP splitter.
Old 19-01-13, 02:26 PM   #3
dean0

dean0 is on a distinguished road
I've got a BEAT DAB in mine - one of the lower priced unit at less than £100, what I like though is the SD slot and it has orange illumination (although it is a little bright!)

I tried with a splitter but was not really getting a very reliable reception, most of this was down to a damaged FM lead from the standard ZS aerial.

My headunit came with a magnetic aerial, I ended up cutting the lead from this, soldering a ring terminal to the centre cable and a short fly-lead to the outer screen. I then replaced the original ZS aerial lead with a new FM lead and piggy-backed the DAB lead to the original roof aerial - no splitter or anything, just the DAB centre terminal connected to the bolt on the roof aerial and the fly lead connected to the outer screen trapped between the FM outer bit with the teeth and the roof

Reception is almost as good as Mrs Dean0's VW with a factory fit DAB
dean0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-13, 02:28 PM   #4
dean0

dean0 is on a distinguished road
^^ oh, standard short ZS whip on mine but tilted a little more vertical - about 30 degrees
dean0 is offline   Reply With Quote