theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 14-06-12, 07:26 AM   #1
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Engine Rattle

Had a very regular tapping sound from the engine for a while now, I think its valve train related. As its very metallic sounding and quieten downs when hot also it occurs in sync with the revs. Sounds like its a old Ford Diesel!

Ive tried putting some wynns hydraulic tappet solution in and that didnt make any noticeable difference. I ran it for 8 months or so on Diesel oil to see if that could clean off any deposits. Finally yesterday threw some engine flush just before draining the oil.

Have read about the oil pick up O-ring failing on some KV6 models so had one of them and was hoping to drop the sump and replace that. But MG-Rovers crummy exhaust design prevented that. If they had moved the manifolds an inch over it would be simple but it runs in line with 3 of the sump bolts preventing getting them out. Didnt fancy removing the manifolds as heard its a pig of a job, besides dont have any shiny ones to go on at the moment

So decided to put it back together and refill with some new oil. No difference...

Filmed it but the sound quality is crap but here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRJ76...ature=youtu.be

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-12, 07:32 AM   #2
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Can you determine where abouts in the bay it is coming from? I.E. front or back? Left or Right? Top or Bottom?

I was going to ask if it was Inlet manifold... but after listening to the clip I don't think so... Maybe bottom end related but can't pinpoint the rough location from that video

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-12, 07:36 AM   #3
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
It sounds like its coming from the rear bank almost cylinder head. But hard to pinpoint it directly.

It sounds too mechanical and rhythmic to be the plenum to me,

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 14-06-12, 07:38 AM   #4
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Aweful noise! Sounds like cam related, how is the tensioner assembly?
Old 14-06-12, 07:46 AM   #5
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Aweful noise! Sounds like cam related, how is the tensioner assembly?
Think the video makes it sound alittle worse than it is but its not a pleasant noise thats for sure! We felt it was valvetrain related, was half tempted to start taking the cylinder head apart to investigate further. Thought I'd check here for ideas first as could lead to some rather major work!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 14-06-12, 07:58 AM   #6
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I don't think you have much choice, try using a stethoscope to pinpoint the noise. If that were me I would be checking the tensioner assembly then onto the cams and lifters as to me it sounds top end. Hope the cam lobes have not gone soft hence the noise.
Old 14-06-12, 08:09 AM   #7
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
If you don't have access to medical tools then using a 2ft length of hose as a stethoscope works surprisingly well for pinpointing noisies.

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-12, 08:12 AM   #8
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Have just ordered a stethoscope will try and determine where the noise is coming from. Cant imagine the cams will have failed as they are piper ones, would have thought they would be of a decent standard, but cant rule that out I guess they have done quite a few miles!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 14-06-12, 08:13 AM   #9
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright View Post
If you don't have access to medical tools then using a 2ft length of hose as a stethoscope works surprisingly well for pinpointing noisies.
Just ordered one off fleebay for a couple of quid. Sure it will come in handy again at some point!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 14-06-12, 09:37 AM   #10
MG6Turbo
Banned

MG6Turbo is on a distinguished road
I think it could be the dampener wheel on the end of the cam.

As for piper cams, the ends break off very easily.. This is also a possibility.

G
MG6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote