theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 30-04-13, 11:46 AM   #31
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Unless you find a doner in a scrappy you'll find the parts costs mount up.
Woot - I just HAVE found a donor (ZT) in a scrappy!
Now just got to see if I can get all the bits out of it that I need...

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)

Last edited by Enright; 30-04-13 at 11:49 AM.
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 05:56 PM   #32
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Sadly this will never get completed in the mk1 but I'm taking what I've learned across to my mk2 although it wont be for a little while (except the wheel and dash switch that have already moved).
Old 20-05-13, 08:24 AM   #33
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
I spent a couple of hours gutting the ZT that I'd found in the scrappy on Saturday, and came away with:
The actuator including throttle linkage,
The pump and connecting pipework,
The cruise control ECU,
The button to switch it all on and off.
The clutch and brake pedal switches.
The graphic for the tell-tale light from the dash.
Oh and the complete wiring loom from pump to fusebox.

All I'm missing is the relay and the steering-wheel buttons (already pilfered by someone else), but they should be easily sourced from another car.

When I turned up at the front office of the scrappy "wearing" the loom like a boa constrictor, the woman asked me if the only reason I hadn't brought the rest of the car was because I couldn't pick it up!!!
Then I was amazed to be charged just £10 for the entire haul. Billy Bargain or wot.

Yesterday I got busy stripping the loom of most of the wires that I didn't need (which was the majority of the loom), so that I am just left with a self-contained system which should be able to simply be mounted and plugged-in.
That's the theory anyway - it worked for the climate control system, but then that had come out of a ZS in the first place. This could be a bridge too far having come from a completely different model.
But I won't lose much sleep over it if it doesn't work for such a small investment.

Old 20-05-13, 06:57 PM   #34
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Not a bad price, did you get both ECU's, on the ZT they are together in the passenger foot well.

The biggest issue is integrating with the engine ECU and ABS ECU.

The ZT wheel switch doesn't fit the ZS well so you'd be better looking for a Land Rover one.

The mk1 dash has the decal in place already, not sure about the mk2 yet.
Old 20-05-13, 07:19 PM   #35
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Bargain of the day, hope it all fits, but knowing you, it will by the time you have finished it!!

Old 20-05-13, 07:37 PM   #36
Enright

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Not a bad price, did you get both ECU's, on the ZT they are together in the passenger foot well.

The biggest issue is integrating with the engine ECU and ABS ECU.

The ZT wheel switch doesn't fit the ZS well so you'd be better looking for a Land Rover one.

The mk1 dash has the decal in place already, not sure about the mk2 yet.
Unfortunately not - someone had already got to the main ECU and nabbed it.
I figured if I could get the system powered-up and doing something sensible with the standard components, then I could customise it later. Good shout on the Land Rover wheel switch. Getting a power and speed feed into the Cruise ECU could indeed be a challenge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Bargain of the day, hope it all fits, but knowing you, it will by the time you have finished it!!

Thanks Peter, I'm looking forwards to this project.