theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 04-05-19, 10:00 PM   #271
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Poly windows here, look good, will fit them last I think. Attacked the rear arch mods with a grinder today, wasn’t happy with the positioning. Will look better when I can get the skirts in place. Bought a big argon mix mig bottle for my welder, had enough of the crap welds using gasless wire, not cheap but the welds are more like what I used to do. Once I get back in that groove again I may tackle the roll cage. Be like the old days when I was building oval hot rods.
Old 05-05-19, 02:16 PM   #272
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

save a few bob if you can weld it all

Old 05-05-19, 02:32 PM   #273
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Ah welding ....

The magic that makes metal stick together ....
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-19, 12:12 PM   #274
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Rears were refurbed a few years ago with EBC pads. Already have Brembo GT2s on Reyland mounts, DS2500 pads and 326mm discs, braking is good! However they all need stripping, cleaning and lube.
Ah - I wasn't sure if you'd changed the rears to something else.

I found the DS2500's stop nice and predictably, but don't have quite the same bite the DS3000's did - once you've got some heat into the disks anyway!

However on heavy braking with 3000's on the front, and something standard spec on the rear, the balance was off; got very squirrely on heavy braking.

That and I was always worried when they were hot that some-one would not stop in time behind me!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-19, 06:25 PM   #275
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Brakes stripped all four corners, check over, clean, grease, paint. May need to take the discs into work and give them a skim, hope there’s enough throw on the lathe! Took a look at the underside, jacking points are bad. Still feels solid, will try some rust prevention on it first, any recommendations?
Old 27-05-19, 09:21 PM   #276
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
I got an advisory on jacking points 2 years ago, rusty.

I cleaned the areas up with a rust killer and then painted on POR15

This year it got through OK.The paint is good and stops the rust coming back. You do need PPE specially gloves as it takes a couple of weeks to get it off, once on.

https://www.frost.co.uk/how-do-i-use...eventive-paint
Old 02-06-19, 12:57 PM   #277
David Sayer

David Sayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Poly windows here, look good, will fit them last I think.
. Do you have any pictures of these? Can they fix on the original winder/ electric mechanism and would they supply the fronts without the opening hatch. I'm all for weight saving but likes stealth look.
David Sayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 05:00 PM   #278
stamford
Site Owner

Mine are still wrapped up, but the glass is the same shape so you could bond and or screw them to the lift mechanism. However bear in mind that this will scratch the panel in time. It’s not designed to be moved. You can specify the panel with no vents or openings.
Old 03-06-19, 04:02 PM   #279
David Sayer

David Sayer is on a distinguished road
Ok thanks, i will just get the rears then. Are you the guy I bought two seat runners off at POL?
David Sayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 08:57 PM   #280
stamford
Site Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sayer View Post
Ok thanks, i will just get the rears then. Are you the guy I bought two seat runners off at POL?
Small world, yes it was!