theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 23-01-12, 11:44 PM   #21
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
a lot of items there to add to my want list, where did yousource these from drew?
Old 24-01-12, 05:29 AM   #22
Drew

Drew has a spectacular aura aboutDrew has a spectacular aura about
bought them from the states, but were delivered direct from the factory in taiwan!

it all started off cos i bought some ohlins for a civic off ebay. needed a re-build but found a dealer nearby. annoyingly they had some small pits on the main strut and a new one couldnt be found anywhere (jap specific and stopped being made a few years back). only paid £60 so wasnt too worried. got the spherical bearing top mounts off them so got something out of it.

Drew
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-12, 09:08 AM   #23
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
Good stuff, may get some at some point
Old 24-01-12, 11:20 AM   #24
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
I think another email wish list will be coming your way Drew lol, I need to have those suspension parts on the touring car!

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-12, 06:20 PM   #25
Drew

no problem, can build a kv6 turbo if your interested

right where did i get to...

ok so over the past few weeks ive been adding/tweeking the suspension parts to the zs. lots are direct fit, some are not!

been mainly working on the rear, got some new std discs, longer studs, wheel spacers (have them on the front for the brembodge), goodridge braided hoses..

dissapointingly, no brackets on the rear brake hoses like the originals. had to make some L shape brackets and got hold of some P clips, fitted very well in the end.

Gaz bolt up well (not in that pic for the eagle eyed) fit well but seemed to have a lot of space above the spring that i think will need a helper to keep inplace (mot fail from what i remember). but it could also be cos its decked atm, cant really get my finger between wheel/arch atm. pics when im home in the daylight!

ASR lower brace is too long to fit directly. i cut 10mm out of the middle of the brace and welded it back together. the fitting that come with it dont fit either so modding required. but bolts up well now and feels like it will work.

24mm rear arb is prolly a touch long too but the links go vertical when its on the ground which is what you need.

didnt want to drill any holes in the rear lower arms to fit the abs wires so cable tie ftw atm.

cheers
Drew
Old 24-01-12, 06:25 PM   #26
Drew

seen a few gearlinkage mods that use a steering uj to replace the original link. i liked the idea but not the finish. so i found a nicer uj on the net..

welded on, rubber boot for protection (which i filled with grease before fitting to the car).

perfect fit on the gearbox. got myself a short shift gearstick at the same time, all fits on, but tbh the 2 linkages (stabiliser and selector) are a bit too close for my liking.

Drew
Old 24-01-12, 07:28 PM   #27
Drew

as id replaced a lot of suspension bushes i though id look at what else could be replaced. i see the stabiliser bushes were very loose fitting and quite rubbish when looked at them properly.

found some bushes on the net that looked close to what i had, fitted pretty well..

so upper large and small bushes in the stabilers fitted very well. lower rear stabiliser large bush fts too.

the small bush in the sump didnt, so i made an acetal bush to fit in there instead.

Drew
Old 24-01-12, 07:34 PM   #28
BUCKYDEVIL

BUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud of
Im liking this thread, Great work.
BUCKYDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-12, 07:34 PM   #29
Drew

could have seen on another thread but the charger rubbed on the bonnet sound deadening. instead of just taking the stuff off i decided it would be better to lower the engine a little. small benefits like lower centre of gravity could be taken from that but in the real world i dont think happened.

after looking at the mounts i see its quite easy to lower the engine as the v6 hangs from its mounts, so i made some spacers to go between them and bought some longer bolts.

worked well, no more rubbing.

Drew
Old 24-01-12, 07:46 PM   #30
Drew

while the charger was away i started looking for other options. throttle bodies sounded like a good possibility on a mildly tuned engine. asking around found some Triumph 955 TB's with similar port spacing to the kv6 (thanks Dave 'GTMSpyder')

ordered 2 sets from ebay usa..

as i knew the charger fitted under the bonnet i could take some measurements and see what i could get away with..

although they are quite small i decided i didn't need any of the extra fittings the bike had, so machined them off..

so trying to make the TB's fit onto the std manifolds i machined a block up to suit..

fits ok on my spare engine..

the first idea of fitting to the engine..

I'm think of moving them round a bit but in essence thats where they will be.

Drew