theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 25-10-11, 12:49 PM   #1
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Exclamation 2012 MOT regs

'Borrowed' from another forum.

Some interesting changes and some ambiguous sections that don't really help answer my questions regarding the fitting of bucket seats, harnesses and removal of seatbelts and SRS systems. I reckon there are a few MOT testers just as confused and how to interpret those paragraphs. I'll let you read through and comment and see where this goes. Those with HiDs might be in for some questions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MOT%20Inspection%20Manual.pdf (2.73 MB, 35 views)
Old 25-10-11, 01:44 PM   #2
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Think its always been the case that HIDs can only be fitted where there are washers and self leveling headlamps.

Wether or not the tester picks up on them is another thing!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-11, 01:55 PM   #3
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.7
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.
Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps
Doesn't say that you must have self leveling or washing with HIDs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.1
9.Adult harness belt
An adult harness belt comprising a lap belt and shoulder straps bearing a British Standard or European approval marking (an upper case ?E? or lower case ?e? and a number) is an acceptable alternative to any of the seat belt types listed.
That covers 4 point harnesses.

On the subject of SRS systems - it says if they were obviously fitted they should be working and undamaged and the warning light shouldn't be lit.

There is lots about seats, as long as it is secure you should be okay.
Old 25-10-11, 02:41 PM   #4
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
More to do with 'reason for failure' as this 'could be' read as not fitted but should be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg section 5.4 capture.jpg (13.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 25-10-11, 02:51 PM   #5
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
But only if the tester knows it is standard equipment, the seat bag is in the seat that is no longer present (you've tucked the plug out of the way haven't you ) and the belt pretensioner is at the bottom of the b piller so out of sight.

Alternativly do you still have the original belts still working?
Old 25-10-11, 03:07 PM   #6
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Open question -

So what about where guys with aftermarket steering wheels get the airbag light disabled - are the testers going to investigate ?
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-11, 10:12 AM   #7
stamford
Site Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
But only if the tester knows it is standard equipment, the seat bag is in the seat that is no longer present (you've tucked the plug out of the way haven't you ) and the belt pretensioner is at the bottom of the b piller so out of sight.

Alternativly do you still have the original belts still working?
Resistor fitted to the throax plug, so stops MIL coming on. Same on the seatbelt assembly, as that has been removed. Question is as it is not fitted it could read as failure, another ambiguous paragraph. So far I have not had an issue so will leave it until the next one is due in April time.
Old 26-10-11, 10:13 AM   #8
stamford
Site Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Open question -

So what about where guys with aftermarket steering wheels get the airbag light disabled - are the testers going to investigate ?
Another unknown as this falls into the same question as my original, on the left hand side of the manual it seems okay but on the reason for failure it could read another way.
Old 26-10-11, 12:54 PM   #9
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
i thought the HID rules were going to be more obviously changed there.... based on the previous rumours floating around.

thankfully my car is 'standard' where it matters so no issues for me
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-11, 01:10 PM   #10
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I've removed the hids from mine in preperation for the upcoming mot, mainly to avoid a fail for something which I knew would potentially be a problem.

The piaa bulbs I've fitted are not far short of the hids performance wise so I may not bother refitting them.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote