PDA

View Full Version : Fuel guage

mattie007
02-04-12, 05:22 PM
Coming back from Southampton earlier today, while stuck in traffic, my fuel guage just dropped to empty. Though it had emptied itself at first but all I did was turn the car off then back on and it fixed itself. Anyone had this issue before?
The fuel was definatly there as I've just done 570 miles on a tank :D

zsserbia
02-04-12, 05:34 PM
Nope, it just tends to severely drop round corners :smile1:

Maxxed_Ross
02-04-12, 06:07 PM
the speedo in my ZR used to do that at random. Might be a little electrical glitch somewhere

KirkJames
02-04-12, 10:39 PM
Or just the normal MGR fuel guage playing with ya. Mine goes up and down like yoyo but settles itself when cruising along.

Lukeus101
02-04-12, 10:41 PM
Mine does the same in all honesty and can vary anything up to a 1/4 of a tank. I just fill the 180 up after 200 miles...tends to do the trick lol

stamford
03-04-12, 07:35 AM
The only time my gauge shows incorrect is when hard cornering, more so a left hander. Other than that it is stable but also crap as the markings do not indicate usage as the tank empties, the last 1/4 is always more than you think and goes a lot further than the first 1/4.

mattie007
03-04-12, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the replies. I understand the points above but this time I was stopped in traffic and the needle went from half to dead empty in seconds! Hoping it's just a glitch like Ross said.

stamford
03-04-12, 09:31 AM
Is the sender part of the pump? I get this with my Land Rover but only when the tank is full, it doesn't like cornering and the gauge drops to zero and the light comes on, once settled it is back up and normal.

grimmy
03-04-12, 10:22 AM
Mattie I had an earth fault repaired under warranty when I had my 120 which showed some odd symptoms like that.the Speedo died and the rev counter went haywire and the fuel gauge started working like the rev counter,not sure where or what he earth problem was sadly bit might give you something to have a look at.

ZS
03-04-12, 10:29 AM
Mattie I had an earth fault repaired under warranty when I had my 120 which showed some odd symptoms like that.the Speedo died and the rev counter went haywire and the fuel gauge started working like the rev counter,not sure where or what he earth problem was sadly bit might give you something to have a look at.

Gearbox Earth most likely... its attached on one of the fixings for the Clutch braket... Common failure I think :)

talkingcars
03-04-12, 04:58 PM
Gearbox Earth most likely... its attached on one of the fixings for the Clutch braket... Common failure I think :)

But that wouldn't effect the dash, that is earthed from the back of the dils to behing the internal fusebox IIRC.

ZS
03-04-12, 06:43 PM
But that wouldn't effect the dash, that is earthed from the back of the dils to behing the internal fusebox IIRC.

It did in my case...

My symptoms were heat gauge shot straight up to max, then dropped to min. Rev counter failed and then fuel gauge started becoming erratic...

Then much the same symptoms as above...

Fix was re-attach the gearbox earth.

mattie007
03-04-12, 10:12 PM
Thanks all. It's going in to have the cam seals, cambelt, handbrake, idle sensor and spark plugs fitted tomorrow by Rally Matt so will get him to have a look.