PDA

View Full Version : Stamford’s ZS180

Pages : 1 [2]

peterzs
22-04-18, 05:27 PM
good to get started again.

Dan1971
22-04-18, 07:42 PM
Little update. Caravan gone. Jetwashed the hardstand and. ZS now inside with loads of room! Has a home to get started again without worrying.

Good stuff ..... :group:

stamford
22-04-18, 08:20 PM
I can now plan to get it up off the deck up high and sort the new brake lines, bias valve, polybushed arms, rustproofing and wheel arch mods. Already got future son-in-law to help smooth in and repair when complete. I think there is a slight twinkle of light at the end of the tunnel!

p_b82
23-04-18, 08:20 AM
Glad to hear that you've got some-where to do all the bits you want to do :)

stamford
03-08-18, 09:34 PM
Small update. The exceptional weather has stopped any work planned as way too hot to work outside plus a plethora of other jobs I have to do! I’ve noticed the white chequered decals have cooked in this heat! So that’s another job on the very long list. Youngest daughter Chloe has a new boyfriend, qualified mechanic, he was bored one weekend so he swapped over the front lower arms. However noticed the jacking points have corroded as too near the chassis rail. I got some more work to do :no: Is there a repair panel available for this? No doubt I’ll need to make panels to suit. I guess it sitting so long has really damaged it as it’s been outside. In time I’ll need to look at making a decent carport to protect it.
I really miss having a ZS to drive, I must look at doing something about that.

p_b82
06-08-18, 09:29 AM
Oh dear sorry to hear that - my ZS didn't like sitting outside either :(

I'm worried about the corrosion on mine tbh, I fear a big re-weld job when it appears will be the death-knell for it as I've not got the skills to do it myself; and from other friend's experiences if you have to start to large scale patching it normally is just a matter of time :( (said friend lost a 205 gti that way - and he did all the welding himself/at a buddy's place)

It is funny how they get under the skin isn't it... I've not driven mine for a while and I miss it - even with the mustang on the drive! (which is good as I was scared I wouldn't feel that way about it).

jc600
06-08-18, 10:35 PM
It's because all the water sits there, would have to fabricate new panels as far as I'm aware.......just make sure you put good drainage holes back it. And treat the new metal.......still need to get under mine and get it all protected. There's some nice diy car ports about for good prices.

stamford
30-09-18, 10:57 AM
Well, nothing to say just totally fed up. Been off work for 2 weeks and can’t do anything. The way things are I’m looking at a very long term build project here. Progress is hampered by DIY projects that have taken priority and the list is increasing. However there is one project that I am looking at that may help the zed, want to build a carport that will morph into a garage extension. Again a long term one! I need to make some room in my current garage/workshop so I have room to place stripped parts and refurbish them. A vicious circle!

I hope eveyones plans are going well. Good to see Paul’s Reyland road legal.

p_b82
03-10-18, 06:19 PM
Sorry to hear that - Nothing wrong with a long term project... I never wanted mine to go on as long as it has, but we're getting closer... good things come to those that wait or so they say :)

ZS
04-10-18, 10:08 AM
I've been slowly gathering parts (forged pistons, rods etc) for T16, it won't be long before its engine strip and rebuild time, other projects are taking priority and delaying things though...

So you're not alone in projects taking a lot longer than planned!

Hope you get better soon (Assume illness is why you have been off work?) and things start looking up again for the project.

How are you getting on with the Grandad status ;)

stamford
05-10-18, 09:12 PM
Yes Sam illness not redundancy again! Been checked for testicular cancer and as a result of the heavy handed doctor I am suffering. Been off nearly three weeks in agony. Only returned this Thursday. Struggling to drive.

Being a grandparent is awesome! Number two due January.

Must meet up and catch up, mini meet less MGs.

ZS
05-10-18, 09:27 PM
Yes Sam illness not redundancy again! Been checked for testicular cancer and as a result of the heavy handed doctor I am suffering. Been off nearly three weeks in agony. Only returned this Thursday. Struggling to drive.

Being a grandparent is awesome! Number two due January.

Must meet up and catch up, mini meet less MGs.

I've got Four MG's and an RX8... any meet at the moment probably wouldn't be in a ZS though... But yes a mini meet would be good! (After you are feeling more comfortable that is!)

Congratulations on Grandkid Number 2! Same Daughter?

Sorry to hear about the illness, hopefully a false alarm and you can get back to normal again soon!

peterzs
06-10-18, 07:13 PM
sounds a pig of a doctor, had a prostate examination a few months back, only went in for something else and suggested I had a check over.

Makes your eyes water and cured me of ever going the other way.

Hope the pain gets better and it is a good outcome.

Always liked the Churchillian Pub, overlooking Portsmouth for a mini meet up.

https://www.thechurchillianportsmouth.co.uk/food-drink/

:group::group::group:

Dan1971
07-10-18, 08:31 AM
Hope all's well Mick.

Doesn't sound right that he hurt you .... But .... We are of an age that you need to checking this sort of thing. Had a blood test recently where they measured something to do with it, but no physical examination luckily ....

stamford
18-11-18, 06:51 AM
Been busy with DIY projects lately. Built and fitted my own sturdy wooden garage doors as the old up & over was well past it and broke. Refurbished an old shed, now I have more room in the garage. Sold my multi gym that was in the garage as well, bit of a move around and now have bench space for when I start on the zed again. I needed room to start stripping and rebuilding the suspension. So plans for early 2019 are to work on the zed with that taking priority over DIY! We’ll see how that goes! In between that I still have the S6 to sort and MOT, no rush. I really wanted to get to PoL but doubt that.

Dan1971
18-11-18, 12:09 PM
Good man. Setting up a decent workspace is important. I've got no room anywhere and would love some garage work space.

BBQ at yours in the spring to help with some bigger multi-handed jobs?

stamford
02-05-19, 10:24 PM
Update. Zed now up on axle stands, ready to strip and refurb the brakes. List of parts bought, ordered or waiting. Bodywork progressing, front arches cut and extensions tacked in place. Steel hot rod side skirts on order. Cams purchased, verniers being negotiated. Poly windows ordered. So it’ll progress this year!

p_b82
03-05-19, 08:30 AM
Nice one - you stayed with OEM brakes or gone for something different?

stamford
03-05-19, 03:46 PM
Nice one - you stayed with OEM brakes or gone for something different?

Rears were refurbed a few years ago with EBC pads. Already have Brembo GT2s on Reyland mounts, DS2500 pads and 326mm discs, braking is good! However they all need stripping, cleaning and lube.

Dan1971
03-05-19, 10:17 PM
Good stuff...

stamford
04-05-19, 09:00 PM
Poly windows here, look good, will fit them last I think. Attacked the rear arch mods with a grinder today, wasn’t happy with the positioning. Will look better when I can get the skirts in place. Bought a big argon mix mig bottle for my welder, had enough of the crap welds using gasless wire, not cheap but the welds are more like what I used to do. Once I get back in that groove again I may tackle the roll cage. Be like the old days when I was building oval hot rods.

peterzs
05-05-19, 01:16 PM
save a few bob if you can weld it all

:):):)

Dan1971
05-05-19, 01:32 PM
Ah welding ....

The magic that makes metal stick together ....

p_b82
07-05-19, 11:12 AM
Rears were refurbed a few years ago with EBC pads. Already have Brembo GT2s on Reyland mounts, DS2500 pads and 326mm discs, braking is good! However they all need stripping, cleaning and lube.

Ah - I wasn't sure if you'd changed the rears to something else.

I found the DS2500's stop nice and predictably, but don't have quite the same bite the DS3000's did - once you've got some heat into the disks anyway!

However on heavy braking with 3000's on the front, and something standard spec on the rear, the balance was off; got very squirrely on heavy braking.

That and I was always worried when they were hot that some-one would not stop in time behind me!

stamford
27-05-19, 05:25 PM
Brakes stripped all four corners, check over, clean, grease, paint. May need to take the discs into work and give them a skim, hope there’s enough throw on the lathe! Took a look at the underside, jacking points are bad. Still feels solid, will try some rust prevention on it first, any recommendations?

peterzs
27-05-19, 08:21 PM
I got an advisory on jacking points 2 years ago, rusty.

I cleaned the areas up with a rust killer and then painted on POR15

This year it got through OK.The paint is good and stops the rust coming back. You do need PPE specially gloves as it takes a couple of weeks to get it off, once on.

https://www.frost.co.uk/how-do-i-use-por-15-rust-preventive-paint

David Sayer
02-06-19, 11:57 AM
Poly windows here, look good, will fit them last I think.. Do you have any pictures of these? Can they fix on the original winder/ electric mechanism and would they supply the fronts without the opening hatch. I'm all for weight saving but likes stealth look.

stamford
02-06-19, 04:00 PM
Mine are still wrapped up, but the glass is the same shape so you could bond and or screw them to the lift mechanism. However bear in mind that this will scratch the panel in time. It’s not designed to be moved. You can specify the panel with no vents or openings.

David Sayer
03-06-19, 03:02 PM
Ok thanks, i will just get the rears then. Are you the guy I bought two seat runners off at POL?

stamford
03-06-19, 07:57 PM
Ok thanks, i will just get the rears then. Are you the guy I bought two seat runners off at POL?

Small world, yes it was! :)

stamford
22-06-19, 01:08 PM
Not much progress. Another daughter rescue took a lot of my time and sanity. Weather has got in the way too. Need another kick up the arse I think! Plus I tried changing the rear springs on the A4, broken spring what a pita! Need special tools for that job.

Dan1971
22-06-19, 03:59 PM
Not much progress. Another daughter rescue took a lot of my time and sanity. Weather has got in the way too. Need another kick up the arse I think! Plus I tried changing the rear springs on the A4, broken spring what a pita! Need special tools for that job.

Kids eh ... who'd have 'em ...

Eldest about to finish his A levels so he's been like a bear with a sore head for the last few weeks. Hope things have settled down now.

Happy to provide the boot .... :soldiers::rambo: :dumbells:

stamford
22-06-19, 08:34 PM
Haha cheers Dan. Doesn’t take much to lose the momentum. Difficult finding the time to put in when you have a family, three dogs and grandkids. Guess I’m just fortunate to still have the zed and a space to keep it.

talkingcars
24-06-19, 09:22 PM
….Plus I tried changing the rear springs on the A4, broken spring what a pita! Need special tools for that job.

One of the rear springs has just gone on the 159, I'm not sure if I should just to replace that one or fit some Ti springs that are slightly lower and stiffer. Rears are easy, fronts are a mare.

stamford
23-08-19, 09:13 PM
Progress will be slow now. Gina has decided to bring her wedding forward to June 2020. So that’s me poor for a while. My ZS plans to get it roadworthy have taken a big hit. S6 also sitting there, can’t find a buyer as it is. Cars eh!

I’ll do what I can on the ZS with what I’ve got, replaced one rear arm bush, had to buy the tool, glad I did, right pig to get out. Refurb that before I refit it and then do the other side.

peterzs
24-08-19, 12:13 PM
END UP AS A RETIREMENT JOB.

money goes out quicker than it comes in, unfortunately.

Dan1971
24-08-19, 02:19 PM
Yeah but weddings are great fun .... :beer2:

stamford
12-10-19, 06:48 AM
Little update. Weather hampering progress, sound deadening removal carried out when raining! Bit of a faux pas with one of the steel side sills, bought a 2” hole punch/swaging tool. Thread stripped and reverted to using a flypress, that messed up the steel and distorted it which lead to that being scrapped. Ordered a replacement from Spedeworth Fabrications (known for national hot rods) but that turned up with the wrong angle on it, 15 degrees out. Apparently a design change due to clearance issues on the latest 2.0 hot rods. Anyway a trip up there yesterday afternoon I managed to swap it for an old stock one. So that part of the build will be back on once I get a decent weather window, that could be 2020! Spedeworths have some kit up there, machine shop, CNC, and a chassis build, quality stuff.

p_b82
14-10-19, 10:16 AM
Pity that you hit that hiccup - by the sound of it one of those annoying things.

Weather's not been great so not surprised it's a pause for now!

stamford
27-04-20, 05:46 PM
Furlough has meant some days spent working on the zed.

Rear suspension rebuilt with new bushes and paint, refitted.
Replacement rear ARB hangers fitted.
Rear brakes rebuilt.
Front brakes refitted.
All four wheels back on and on the ground.
Interior cleaned, stripped of sound deadening and painted.

Today I started stripping the top of the engine in readiness for the cambelt service and possibly fit the Piper Cams. Found a water leak so good job!

Dan1971
27-04-20, 06:04 PM
Good man...

p_b82
28-04-20, 08:16 AM
Sounds like you've been making good use of your time! :)

stamford
28-04-20, 10:47 AM
Might as well. I have jobs for rainy days so I’m doing dry day jobs for now. That means MG work! Well it does to me.

p_b82
29-04-20, 08:16 AM
Well this week is plenty of rainy day jobs ahead I think!

But glad you're making progress again :)

stamford
29-04-20, 11:20 AM
Indeed. As I have partially stripped the top end I have cleaning jobs to do in the garage of all the parts. :shifty:

Well, shopping list drafted to refurbish the engine, sitting at just under £300! Think I’ll wait until after my birthday, I did request DMGRS vouchers, got £40 from xmas still to use! Takes the sting out of it a little. Got my furloughed wave to look forward to yet! :no:

stamford
14-05-20, 06:24 PM
Order placed with DMGRS and weighed in a fair bit. So during furlough I aim to

Fit Piper 270 cams and oil seals.
Full cam belt service, water pump and tensioner.
Set of spark plugs.
Fuel filter.
Oil service.
All new gaskets to cam covers, inlet manifolds.
Replace the thermostat housing and sensor whilst it’s accessible, was done several years ago but not worth risking it.
Total clean of all brackets, covers and might even try to polish the cam covers.

peterzs
15-05-20, 05:57 PM
sounds like a plan, hope it all goes well.

Clutch OK.

Dan1971
17-05-20, 10:26 PM
Gonna be a busy boy with all that....

Hope it goes well... :)

stamford
08-07-20, 07:39 PM
Update:

New thermostat assembly fitted.
New water pump fitted.
X6 sparks plugs fitted.
Piper 270 cams fitted (with issues).

So, the Piper cams. All fitted and torqued as per the book. Went to fit the main cam belt then the primary locking tools. I can’t fit the tool to the front bank. After much checking and questioning my sanity it appears I have a duff camshaft in such that they have machined the sprocket notch in the wrong place, about 90 degrees out. I offered my original camshaft up against the new one and it is different. So I have some thinking to do to get around this.

One thing I have learned from this strip down, the cam covers mesh filters are located where the breather push fittings are, one fitting is a large hole, the other looks like a solid wall, no it is not! There is a diameter 1.5mm hole there! Mine were blocked, couldn’t see it. Could cause an issue with crankcase pressures apparently.

ZS
10-07-20, 03:41 PM
Update:

New thermostat assembly fitted.
New water pump fitted.
X6 sparks plugs fitted.
Piper 270 cams fitted (with issues).

So, the Piper cams. All fitted and torqued as per the book. Went to fit the main cam belt then the primary locking tools. I can’t fit the tool to the front bank. After much checking and questioning my sanity it appears I have a duff camshaft in such that they have machined the sprocket notch in the wrong place, about 90 degrees out. I offered my original camshaft up against the new one and it is different. So I have some thinking to do to get around this.

One thing I have learned from this strip down, the cam covers mesh filters are located where the breather push fittings are, one fitting is a large hole, the other looks like a solid wall, no it is not! There is a diameter 1.5mm hole there! Mine were blocked, couldn’t see it. Could cause an issue with crankcase pressures apparently.

Have you got an idea of location (picture or whatnot) of those breather holes? When I have got T16 on the road, its on to FE54 to ger her back running again!

stamford
11-07-20, 10:15 PM
I’ll check which ones and let you know Sam.

stamford
16-07-20, 10:22 PM
Well the last two days were very productive. With the cam issues I decided to remove the cam covers as was not convinced by the problems encountered. To cut a long story short I was either tired or I failed to check the contents of each box but I had the cams in the wrong position on the front bank. After checking each set and happy with layout I rebuilt the cam carriers. I can honestly say that the cam belt service is probably the worst I have done. Not user friendly, the secondary set-up is a right pita. I would go to say it would be easier with the engine out. It is now slowly going back together. Cranked it over by hand, no dramas and everything lined up again. Just a case of trying to torque the crank pulley bolt up with no flywheel locking pin. Even in gear and wheels chocked I can still move the car! Guess it’ll have to wait until the brakes have been bled then get a helper to stand on them. Now to get the fuel filter changed, tidy up the loom then rebuild the manifolds and plenum.

peterzs
17-07-20, 10:51 AM
well done, getting there.

Bet the first start up will be exciting.

stamford
17-07-20, 05:18 PM
Short lived excitement. Informed today by pure chance that the cam seals fitted are incorrect. Apparently they have changed and it appears I have to strip it all down and refit them in the opposite ends. Or should I say wait for replacements and fit them. So totally effed off and lost interest. Felt like scrapping it after hearing that. Going to leave it alone for a while.

peterzs
17-07-20, 07:22 PM
Disappointing, but keep at it, put it down to hands on learning.

Sounds a complicated engine, thats why I enjoyed working on the BMC "A" and "B" engines in my midgets and MGB GT's. Also easy to take out and put back in. Still thats progress I suppose.

stamford
23-07-20, 08:13 PM
Decided to carry on with the rebuild. Can’t see what affect the seal design will have on the current usage. It’s only a tiny design feature so will see how it fares.

Plenum on and off a few times due to routing of pipes and access.

Fresh oil, fuel pump relay removed and it actually cranked over! Oil light out, coolant filled up. Tried starting it, it really struggled, igniting down the exhaust. Finally started once the fuel filled up the filter and pipework. It ran rough, 4 or 5 cylinders. Left it to dry out, front bank plugs were wet. Not sure on the HT leads as the fit is different With the new plugs. The HT leads on the old plugs were snug to the cam cover aperture, now it sits proud so dirt ingress easier down the plug hole.

Try again another day, getting there.

ZS
28-07-20, 11:33 AM
Its all progress though Stanford :) Even if it is slow, you are still moving forward each time you do something on the car.

I tell myself the same thing, my back has been playing up (lack of excersize during lockdown and sitting at a desk all day doesn't help) so can only manage short durations working on a car, but each time it is moving forward towards the goal :)

It will all be worth it in the end, when you finally get the car back on the road and drive her again :)

stamford
28-07-20, 06:41 PM
Cheers Sam.

Well......I was browsing through my photo archive and was looking through the MG ZS folders. Saw an old engine shot. I had a closer look as was curious as to why my HT leads didn't fit as before. They were fitted 1,3,5 order as the leads were numbered.

Noticed that the leads were not fitted in number order. So checked a photo from 5 years ago, same layout. So I swapped two leads about and now it breaths on all 6! Woo hoo! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Seems the loom is not right and the coil packs and injectors don't align with their cylinder number. Must have been a Friday afternoon build! Thank f@@# for that!

peterzs
29-07-20, 10:00 AM
Good result, and even better a cheap fix.

ZS
30-07-20, 12:19 PM
Cheers Sam.

Well......I was browsing through my photo archive and was looking through the MG ZS folders. Saw an old engine shot. I had a closer look as was curious as to why my HT leads didn't fit as before. They were fitted 1,3,5 order as the leads were numbered.

Noticed that the leads were not fitted in number order. So checked a photo from 5 years ago, same layout. So I swapped two leads about and now it breaths on all 6! Woo hoo! ��������

Seems the loom is not right and the coil packs and injectors don't align with their cylinder number. Must have been a Friday afternoon build! Thank f@@# for that!

Thats good news :)

And you are welcome, however I am now having to tell myself the same thing (check out my new thread!) as it is so easy to loose focus and enthusiasm for an old car when these things try us. But Like I said, small steps forward, it will be worth it in the end! :)

stamford
30-07-20, 06:27 PM
All the arch work was completed today. Just need to tidy up the inside of the arches, seam sealer and stonechip. Paint is going to cost around £240 plus labour to get it finished. My ‘to do list’ is getting shorter!

peterzs
30-07-20, 10:05 PM
Well done, getting there.

Would "wrapping", it be a cheaper option??

stamford
31-07-20, 07:22 PM
Well done, getting there.

I doubt it. I have considered that but reckon it’ll degrade unless covered as won’t be used much.

talkingcars
01-08-20, 02:27 PM

No, wrapping the whole car will cost more.

p_b82
03-08-20, 08:05 AM
I looked into wrapping, and it's the same as a complete/full respray - if it had been cheaper that's what I'd be planning on doing on the mustang due to the paint issues it has.

peterzs
03-08-20, 03:52 PM
The grandson bought one out in Texas and he had problems with the paint.

Known to be very thin, they said come back in 6 months and it will be fixed under warranty.

He chopped that one in for the bigger engine one. First one was black, the new one is white. He had that ceramic coating put on the first one to help the paintwork.

stamford
06-08-20, 08:10 AM
Small steps. Tidying wiring and getting gauges sorted. Will need to replace them as not weathered well, protective film has bonded itself to the dial face. :no:

Fresh RON98 added as ran dry. Starts on the button now, what a lovely noise!

peterzs
06-08-20, 11:41 AM
well done.

Getting there.

stamford
28-09-20, 11:55 AM
Little update.

Front jacking points wire wheeled, degreased and Bill Hamber Hydrate 80 applied. Looks so much better and not as bad as it looked before. Requires a plate both sides to reinforce the area that does beg a question as to why it was designed as a water trap!

Front suspension legs cleaned, painted and refitted along with fresh fixings.

Both driveshafts rebuilt with new cv joints and boots.

Braking system refreshed and bled with RBF600.

Prepping to get the cover on for winter.

peterzs
28-09-20, 05:00 PM
Good to see you still have the love.

:bow::bow::bow:

stamford
28-09-20, 06:34 PM
Yea still have it Pete!

Side sills cleaned and primed now. Wheels on.

Dan1971
28-09-20, 10:29 PM
:bow:

stamford
29-09-20, 07:50 PM
Sills primed and proofed. Down on the deck.

peterzs
30-09-20, 08:23 PM
getting there, have to have a pub meet when we can.

Dan1971
30-09-20, 09:46 PM
You gonna use spacers or bigger wheels?

stamford
01-10-20, 05:57 AM
getting there, have to have a pub meet when we can.

I do miss having those little socials.

You gonna use spacers or bigger wheels?

Once I’ve set up the camber angles I’ll see what I need to make it look right. Not looking at much, 15mm max. Already using 8j rims. Pity as I have a set of Staggered 18s with 8.5 and 9.5j. However they are 5 stud. I would love some 10js :shifty:

stamford
12-08-21, 07:44 PM
Managed to get the beast running again. Primed it and fired up straight away. A bit tappety, need to bed in the new cams but sounded pretty good.

peterzs
14-08-21, 09:26 PM
The beast lives.

stamford
15-08-21, 03:54 PM
Hopefully will get a more purposeful covering for the zed rather than the Stormforce cover. Neighbour across the road is carrying out a lot of work and is getting rid of his shed, says I can have it. Needs the roof rebuilding but well worth doing as it’s 5m x 3m, heavy duty, ply lined etc. The zed fits in lovely! So there’s a project when it’s ready. Need to build a dwarf wall for it as it’ll go on my hard standing. Never ending work!

peterzs
16-08-21, 07:33 PM
be worth it by the sound of it.

Dan1971
17-08-21, 10:36 PM
Sounds good.

The house we're building has an integral double garage which I was going to convert into a man-cave. Turns out the in laws aren't going to move into the annexe we planned for so change of plans submitted to local authority planner. The annexe goes, I get a cinema room and games room and keep the double garage....yey !

peterzs
18-08-21, 08:29 AM
Hi Dan,

Should have kept the annex, and had it as a self-contained holiday let. :-)

Dan1971
18-08-21, 09:59 AM
Hi Dan,

Should have kept the annex, and had it as a self-contained holiday let. :-)

We thought about it, but the lure of a bigger house for us and a saving of about £10K was too much.

The footprint is still there though Pete with seperate front door, drainage etc in place, so it's something that can be easily reverted to if we choose to at some point. All we are doing is simply not fitting it out with a kitchen and bathroom, and adding a door to access from what was the main house.

peterzs
18-08-21, 08:51 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

stamford
23-01-22, 06:41 PM
The zed is still under cover. The zed shed is still on, so this year it’ll have it’s home under a roof!

Now….to add to the ‘ongoing project’ as you know I have throttle bodies, manifolds and an air box to play with in the future, need a stand alone ecu and some playing around with. After all these years I’ve managed to obtain some Janspeed manifolds, like hens teeth these days, another job for another day! I have shied away from Janspeed manis purely because of the track day noise checks as it can teeter on breaking limits on track on drive bys. One day it’ll be a decent spec ZS and hopefully look good too!

peterzs
24-01-22, 02:36 PM
be interesting when it is all done, visit to Goodwood I reckon!!

:group::group: :bow::bow:

stamford
18-03-23, 10:20 PM
Not a lot to say on the zed front, still covered. Parts being acquired for the workshop build. Cellotex panels for insulation plus lining boards. Hoping to start the build early May. Once the workshop is up there’s the doors to make. I reckon this year it’ll be built ready for the zed. Then start stripping the zed again prepping for paint. Rebuild a new front bumper as this is going BTCC and factory colours. I think the frustration my wife has seen in me has made her realise I need my time to do something, not just DIY everywhere else. It is relentless with family and grandkids plus still working full time. Retirement is some years off yet! I need the time to get the zed ‘hill climb ready’ as that is my plans for it and me.

Dan1971
19-03-23, 07:27 AM
But you've got a plan Mick...that's half the battle.

peterzs
19-03-23, 10:27 AM
One step at a time and you will get there.

What happened to the Scottish BTCC car that was being built??

Last I remember he was having problems with getting the brakes built for it.

p_b82
20-03-23, 09:49 AM
Glad you've now got the "green light" to crack on with your own project for your own enjoyment downtime.

I'm not sure what's happened to Maxxed_Ross and the BTCC car; the FB page is no longer valid now so can't see anything on there either.

stamford
20-03-23, 05:30 PM
Ross seems busy with life. Building up his new home, was a big project. He’ll be back on the zed build I’m sure when he has time and money! Like us all. I think I’ll be aiming for PoL 2025, but then my youngest is looking to get married spring 25 and no doubt a date close to PoL :laugh:

peterzs
21-03-23, 10:09 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

stamford
14-04-23, 10:35 PM
Garage build on course. Timber delivered this week. Looking to sell the A6 V8 Audi Avant as won’t have the time to sort it. £1000 anyone? Also selling my daily A6 Avant and downsizing to a Volvo C30 to save money in the short-term. £93 full tank for 360 miles versus £70 full tank for 500 miles, £395 vs £150 road tax per year, no brainier. Daughters wedding to help with so small sacrifices. Then I can focus on the zed for once.

peterzs
15-04-23, 10:43 AM
sounds like a plan, all the best to the daughter and forthcoming marriage.

Hope the building goes well.

:pepsi::pepsi::pepsi:

p_b82
15-04-23, 12:45 PM
It's one major thing I miss about not having the ZS atm - 60L of super only gets me about 300miles...

55L of diesel would do about 550....

Ironically though, I can drive through bristol in the V8 without clean air charge, but I'd have to pay in the ZS....

Dan1971
16-04-23, 08:39 AM
Oooh...building a garage. Go on Mick...!

Shame you're so far away, I've just sold my S90 and looking for an estate or hatch to get Milo into. At the moment I've fixed a crate in the camper and I'm using that but there's no escaping that it's a van...ie...noisy and slow.

Always liked the c30 Volvo. A guy on the Volvo forum I'm on, is selling a mint T5...

stamford
18-04-23, 06:36 PM
sounds like a plan, all the best to the daughter and forthcoming marriage.

Hope the building goes well.

:pepsi::pepsi::pepsi:

Planning stage, it’s relentless!

It's one major thing I miss about not having the ZS atm - 60L of super only gets me about 300miles...

55L of diesel would do about 550....

Ironically though, I can drive through bristol in the V8 without clean air charge, but I'd have to pay in the ZS....

Never makes sense, even the old Audi V8 gets inside these zones.

Oooh...building a garage. Go on Mick...!

Shame you're so far away, I've just sold my S90 and looking for an estate or hatch to get Milo into. At the moment I've fixed a crate in the camper and I'm using that but there's no escaping that it's a van...ie...noisy and slow.

Always liked the c30 Volvo. A guy on the Volvo forum I'm on, is selling a mint T5...

T5, nice 5 cyl burble. Apparently the 2.0 turbo is better and less juicy. Nice package all the same and one I wouldn’t mind, but that negates why I’m doing this :laugh:

stamford
23-04-23, 07:33 PM
Well the Audi V8 went today, sorry to see that go back up to Cheshire. The Volvo is going back to my daughters boyfriend. I prefer my Audi A6 and the car he was gifted wasn’t for him and he missed the Volvo! So back to normal.

Now I have all my focus on the garage build then the ZS! Cannot wait.

p_b82
24-04-23, 08:46 AM
Hope it all goes to plan!

It can be funny how some supposedly good cars just don't click with a driver, seat position, visibility, UI etc rather than actual functionality aspects.

stamford
24-04-23, 09:17 AM
He popped round for a chat, drove his gifted VW Fox, I can see why he didn’t like it, told him to park it up the road! :laugh:

His dad gave it to him, immaculate motor but poverty. He’s a biker and doesn’t do cars, just a means to commute in the winter and to cart his dog around when needed. But he knew the Volvo and that was miles better, plus my Audi was far superior to the Volvo. We are all happy as sold the V8 so that will help finish the workshop build.

Back to normal, one car less, less distraction and now space to move the MG to whilst I start the build. Feels like things are starting to click. PAYE back to normal code, hopefully a pay rise when my annual review gets completed and seeing Chelsea are out of Europe I might cancel my BT Sport subs!

Forgot to add his dad said he can sell the Fox and do what he wants with the money. So he’s better off, keeps his Volvo and pockets the cash.

peterzs
24-04-23, 10:02 AM
sounds like wins all around, apart from Chelsea. :hooray:

Can't wait for the next installment.

Good luck with it all. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Dan1971
24-04-23, 07:57 PM
Win win I think Mick.

Volvo and sensible economic car...nah....not you mate.

stamford
17-05-23, 10:01 PM
The zeds garage build going well. All up, roof decked and felted. Insulating the interior and panelling it. Then it’s lighting, doors, ironwork, guttering and a lick of paint.:wacko:

peterzs
20-05-23, 09:42 AM
dig a pit while you are at it. :smile2::smile2::smile2:

stamford
03-06-23, 08:21 PM
Progress made on the garage. Few small jobs to do but functional. Temporary lighting in place, stereo and speakers in, cctv cameras up and mancave bits being added. Zed should be in within weeks.

Dan1971
05-06-23, 09:27 PM
You'll be in there more than your house now !

stamford
05-06-23, 09:33 PM
You'll be in there more than your house now !

Kathy would say I am already! :laugh:

p_b82
08-06-23, 09:08 AM
Good work :)

peterzs
10-06-23, 09:55 AM
Bar??

:clap::clap::clap:

stamford
13-06-23, 06:40 AM
Bar??

:clap::clap::clap:

I think there's room for a beer fridge!

stamford
13-06-23, 06:45 AM
The zed moved into its new home yesterday. Still a few jobs to do. At least it's under cover and I can progress it's rebuild. Thinking of keeping it trophy blue as that's it's identity and the reason I bought it. Besides a colour change will be a big task. However, it won't be just plain blue.

peterzs
13-06-23, 09:50 AM
waiting to see it finished.

:bow::bow::bow:

Dan1971
13-06-23, 10:15 PM
Nice...

stamford
14-06-23, 07:47 PM
Starts on the button every time so far! Love hearing it again. Gave it a wash this evening, so much dust got under the cover.

stamford
06-07-23, 06:20 PM
Doing a bit here and there. Some on the garage, some on the zed.

Garage now has led strip lights, what a transformation! Plumbed in water to front and back so the outside tap that now resides inside the garage now supplies taps for the back garden and driveway.

The zed has been prepped and ready for it’s polycarbonate windows, left off until the bodywork has been finished. Got the lightweight door panels to fit, all profiled.

At some point I will be contacting Matt Reidy regarding the possibility of dialling in the throttle bodies. It might be too much for him but unless I ask I won’t know.

peterzs
07-07-23, 11:44 AM
sounds like you are getting there, good luck with it.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

p_b82
07-07-23, 03:24 PM
At some point I will be contacting Matt Reidy regarding the possibility of dialling in the throttle bodies. It might be too much for him but unless I ask I won’t know.

He's based even closer to me now than before - since I moved & he moved locations.

If you do end up at his unit ping me and I'll see if I can swing by and catch-up and have a poke around too!

stamford
15-09-23, 06:41 PM
Not much to report. Storage and shallow worktop/bench added for the zed parts. Been busy elsewhere doing DIY. Each time I look at the zed I see so much work!

Dan1971
16-09-23, 03:21 PM
I'm surprised after making that garage look so good Mick....

stamford
17-09-23, 05:45 PM
I'm surprised after making that garage look so good Mick....

Busy life, other things get in the way and some are more important like family. It’ll improve in time. Got the winter months to enjoy. These hot days are too much.