theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 25-01-10, 02:50 PM   #11
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS View Post
I would but then I do that sort of thing... driving around on a duff gearbox for example...
I can relate to that.. currently mine pops out of 5th while on the motorway
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-10, 02:53 PM   #12
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
I can relate to that.. currently mine pops out of 5th while on the motorway
Put some more oil into it... Seriously... that's what happened to mine every time it pops out of 5th I put more oil in... fine until it runs out again.

Changed every seal I could... turns out it was the selector shaft seal! and I did that myself (three garages missed it!) so now I do most maintenance myself...

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-10, 03:00 PM   #13
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
already had it done once, it was cause by a worn o-ring letting too much play in the shaft popping the seal... but Matt checked and re-did all the seals he could (whithout taking te box off) and it is still doing it.

it is also only 5th gear and none of the others which makes it less likely to just be low on oil - and the frequency of it popping out is getting higher - 7 times in the last 200miles and at one point it needed 4 goes to pick up 5th again!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-10, 08:15 PM   #14
Squeaks

Squeaks will become famous soon enough
Any more thoughts on why theres oil in the water
Old 26-01-10, 06:48 AM   #15
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
already had it done once, it was cause by a worn o-ring letting too much play in the shaft popping the seal... but Matt checked and re-did all the seals he could (whithout taking te box off) and it is still doing it.

it is also only 5th gear and none of the others which makes it less likely to just be low on oil - and the frequency of it popping out is getting higher - 7 times in the last 200miles and at one point it needed 4 goes to pick up 5th again!
Exactly the same symptoms as mine.... and it was low oil.... Only ever had 5th gear jump out as explained...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-zs180 View Post
Any more thoughts on why theres oil in the water
Dan, have you tried changing the water in the coolant system? I had something very similar on my 180, oil in the water and a mayo substance in the oil cap... Got the belts done, which required water and oil change and for the last 3000 miles its been perfect no oil contamination or water contamination anywhere... (Before anyone complains, it wasn't that much mayo, the garage put it down to evaporation..."

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-10, 06:57 AM   #16
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
lets look at it logicly.

oil in the water... hmmm how can this happen!! oil cooler breakdown? hg? toped oil up in the wrong place?

i would not recomend anybody driving to spain after finding such a thing without it been having looked at by a profesional.

While HGF on these cars are rare, it is not the first case, it does happen, we used to have 03 plate 75's with hgf a lot of the time when i worked for a stealership...

get it checked out, it does sound very much like the begining of HGF, even if the oil dosnt "seam" to of gone down, the car holds over 5 litres, it may be hard to tell it .1 of a litre has slowly got into the coolant system for whatever reason!!

presure test/sniffer test ftw.. probably the latter!!
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote