theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 04-11-11, 11:05 AM   #1
pheelay

pheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the rough
Changing the instrument panel

Can anyone tell me what happens to the mileage reading if I change the instrument pack in the ZS? Is the mileage recorded in the ECU? I swear I read somewhere in the past that mileage is recorded on both the ECU and within the instrument pack and the display reads the higher of the 2 values. I might have dreamt that up though.

My plan is to change the panel from mph into kph. Next question is how can the odometre reading be changed from miles to km?

Anything else I need to consider?
pheelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 11:39 AM   #2
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
I can confirm that on the ZR the mileage is only stored in the instrument cluster, but that's no guarantee that the ZS is the same.

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 12:25 PM   #3
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
The ZS doesn't have it stored on the ECU, it is held on the actual instrument pack, unlike the the R75/ZT where it holds the info in 2 places the instrument pack and the LCU (Light Control Unit)

KevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 12:30 PM   #4
pheelay

pheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the rough
Cheers for the replies.

So that means if swap instrument panels, the mileage will read that of the doner car. Any idea what controls if the odometer displays miles or km?

I have 2 Zeds, one in mph the other in kph. As it happens, they both have an almost identical reading (35000 miles and 58000 km) and I was planning to swap the panels
Old 04-11-11, 12:31 PM   #5
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheelay View Post
My plan is to change the panel from mph into kph. Next question is how can the odometre reading be changed from miles to km?
You will need a left hand drive instrument pack, and get pack programmed with the appropriate mileage converted to kilometres.

KevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 12:50 PM   #6
pheelay

Ahh, I think I should be sorted then. The doner pack is already kph/km (car is originally from Ireland).
If all the programming is in the panel itself, I'll wait til the mileage is the identical and swap them over