theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 16-05-10, 10:17 PM   #11
Glenn

Glenn is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone really good information here. I have been looking at a ZS and a ZR 120 but am leaning more towards the ZS. My friends dad has a Mk1 ZS 180 hatch and i really like the look of it but obviously i cant afford the insurance on the 2.5. What were the major differences between the 120 and 120+ models. Ive also seen a few cars which have the extra spoiler on the front was this an option? Thanks Glenn
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-10, 11:35 PM   #12
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Thanks everyone really good information here. I have been looking at a ZS and a ZR 120 but am leaning more towards the ZS. My friends dad has a Mk1 ZS 180 hatch and i really like the look of it but obviously i cant afford the insurance on the 2.5. What were the major differences between the 120 and 120+ models. Ive also seen a few cars which have the extra spoiler on the front was this an option? Thanks Glenn
depending on model year i think the + model gave you air con or sunny roof, leccy mirrors and windows..no 100% on whit else though
Old 17-05-10, 01:40 AM   #13
starfire039

starfire039 is on a distinguished road
the 120 and 120+ have standard bodykits, no front bib spoiler, standard side skirts, smaller rear spoiler. An optional extra is the "180" bodykit, that is standard on a 180- front bib spoiler, different side skirts, extreme spoiler on the saloon. Not sure about hatches, I guess the "batwing" spoiler is the 180 spoiler on the hatch.

To be honest the ZS trim levels can be quite random. A lot of the extras are optional, not dictated by trim. For example, my car has:

- Windy windows
- No aircon
- Electric (!) sunroof
- Half leather seats
- Full 180 kit
- No fogs
- 17" Straight spoke wheels
- electric mirrors

Quite wierd really- normally my sort of spec would have no body kit, no sunny, and the hairpin alloys. A + spec is a good one to go with obviously as you get your toys like leccy windows and AC, but research what car has as there aren't any ZS's the same, they're all unique. Not as clear cut as say, a vauxhall trim level, with umpteen trim levels so you know pretty much what to expect.

Not being biased because I own one, but, providing you do your homework and buy a cared for ZS, you will fall in love with it. I bought my car on impulse because I fell in love with it, and to this day I love it to pieces, it's unique, it's handling is absolutely superb, it has tons of character, they are uber reliable, i covered 20k miles in a year, from 27k to 47k, the "formative" miles, and it's never missed a beat, flew through MOT's no problem, and there's a great community of people that will help you out if you get stuck. you just can't get a better car for the money, so if you don't go for a ZS, then for christ sake spend more money and get something else because for the money Z's go for, you'll get stuff like corsa's, or 206's. And I know what I'd rather have!
  • Replace/fix rattly mirror
  • Mark 2 dashboard
  • Catch tank
  • New VIS motors
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Induction kit
  • New spark plugs + oil change
  • New exhaust
  • Decat
  • Fix drivers seat mounting hole
  • Reidy Remap

starfire039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-10, 08:25 AM   #14
StragglaSteve

StragglaSteve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfire039 View Post
Not being biased because I own one, but, providing you do your homework and buy a cared for ZS, you will fall in love with it. I bought my car on impulse because I fell in love with it, and to this day I love it to pieces, it's unique, it's handling is absolutely superb, it has tons of character, they are uber reliable and it's never missed a beat, flew through MOT's no problem, and there's a great community of people that will help you out if you get stuck.
I couldnt agree more!

when i got my ZS 120+ i was in the local cargiant looking for a BMW 3 series, i only had a budget of £3k and for the money, all the 3 series on offer were skips!...

just as i was starting to lose hope and about to leave the dealership... i spotted the green beast under a ray of light mixed in amungst all the shabby fiestas and corsas... it was deffo love at 1st sight! there was nothing about the car i could fault!

had it 5 years now and i am so glad i bought the green beast! and not some shabby BMW!!

what problems has it had?

- all calipers have needed replacing at some point
- new radiator as mine was so old and rusty it dropped all its fluid! luckily it didnt cause HGF
- sticky rear door handle and rear windows slip
- heater setting 1 and 2 doesnt work

the car is on 92k miles and i think for 5 years motoring, thats pritty good!

also any issues that have come up have been quite cheap to repair when comparing it to other car manufacturers.

If you are enthusiastic about cars, or just love to drive! then i would 100% recommend getting one!

52 LeMans Green MG ZS 120+ Saloon
StragglaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-10, 04:18 PM   #15
Glenn

Yeah am really fancying one of these now. Like i said its either a ZS or ZR. Am really getting into Mg's at the moment after having 3 polos, a golf and a fabia vrs. I have a soft spot fot eh zs its just finding a good one now same goes for the zr. What mpg can you expect from everday driving. Thanks the information so far has been brilliant. Glenn
Old 17-05-10, 05:10 PM   #16
RudeDogg1

RudeDogg1 is on a distinguished road
wouldnt bother with a zr
RudeDogg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-10, 05:56 PM   #17
Zippy Saloon

Quote:
What mpg can you expect from everday driving.
35mpg minimum from mine, up to low 40s on relaxed m/way run.
Old 17-05-10, 05:58 PM   #18
Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeDogg1 View Post
wouldnt bother with a zr
How come? not well built?
Old 17-05-10, 06:04 PM   #19
Flocka

Flocka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How come? not well built?
Think of it as 3/4 of a ZS.
Flocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-10, 06:38 PM   #20
Glenn

Ahh, are the straights alloys all 17" or were some bigger? Did the zs come with an alarm as standard also? thanks