theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 08-06-11, 03:42 PM   #31
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Attacked the exhaust today, I was going to fill the dents and spray it gloss black although decided to rebaffle it and thought if I was opening it up may as well replace the tubes with new carbon ones.

I could hear something rattling around when the cans were shaken?! So drilled out the rivets and opened them up. Only for the baffles to fall out. Both were broken and were in two. Would be fine if they were removable although they seem to be welded in on the inlet side. In a moment of fury I took a hammer and screwdriver to one but just bend what was left of the baffle.

Any tips on what I could do?! Thought about getting a bit of pipe welded on the end of the inlet so I can screw a removable baffle on.

The baffle is 41mm diameter by about 270mm long. Thats a rough length as not sure how far down the tube it goes.

2012 BMW 320d Sport

Last edited by Jay-ZS+; 16-08-12 at 10:33 PM.
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 06:24 PM   #32
Drew

Drew has a spectacular aura aboutDrew has a spectacular aura about
http://www.mijexhaustparts.com/index...emart&Itemid=2

something like that. ive not looked on the net too much.

Drew
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 06:28 PM   #33
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Cheers Drew just found them through ebay as well Although its a quid cheaper direct, it all helps! lol

The Carbon tubes are coming from PJ Engineering for an ?80 total cost they will look like two new cans!

2012 BMW 320d Sport

Last edited by Jay-ZS+; 08-06-11 at 07:56 PM.
Old 27-06-11, 03:30 PM   #34
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Bit of an update, been really busy with work and still waiting for sockets to drop the engine!!

Although recieved a few bits to tidy up the exhausts. One slight issue is gonna need the end caps replacing as they dont fit too well now.
Baffle and packing:
Carbon tubes, these are gorgeous photos dont do them justice!
Front calipers painted.
Bought a blow torch yesterday as couldnt find my old one for the life of me. So have now seperated the rear caliper as it was seized tight.

Hope to remove the engine this week and do all the gaskets, lap the valves and check the shims. New clutch and then refit next week.

Passed my Mod 1 last week have Mod 2 booked for end of July so would like to have the bike ready to go soon after that.

2012 BMW 320d Sport

Last edited by Jay-ZS+; 16-08-12 at 10:34 PM.
Old 27-06-11, 03:43 PM   #35
lawrence-zs180

lawrence-zs180 is on a distinguished road
glad to see you got the rear caliper apart... looks rooted can you save it?
Have you done a bike mechanics course or are you self teaching?
Old 27-06-11, 03:57 PM   #36
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

The caliper will clean up alright bit of elbow grease and paint and it will be fine.

As for a course its much like the car, got a haynes and a member of 400greybikes which is a helpful forum. Other than that just a bit of common sense, its pretty straight forward. If you can work on a car then a bike shouldnt be any harder.

Plus Ive got a mate who knows the VFRs CRB 400s almost inside out back to front so he can always lend a hand if im completely lost. .....Ive gone and jinxed myself now!!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 27-06-11, 04:00 PM   #37
mattie007

mattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nice
Only just seen this thread! Good luck with your Mod 2 Jay!
That fairing makes it look like a new bike!
I know what you mean about going out on the road after just a few hours. The scariest part for me was passing my Mod 2 after just 2 lessons, so basically, 10 hours on the road. Then jumping on my 650, which revs to 12k! Mental.
You will enjoy it though, just clocked up 5000 miles in under a year
Old 27-06-11, 04:19 PM   #38
lawrence-zs180

Nice one and congrats on the mod 1 and good luck with the mod 2... got to sort mine out over the coming weeks, not sure if I should das it or do them as and when I can because das is about ?750, might be less with my own bike but not sure if they would let me do that on the rf600.
Old 27-06-11, 04:25 PM   #39
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Will all depend on how many days you need, believe the Mod 1 is ?18 and Mod 2 about ?80 do it with a training school and will be alot more. If I pass first time will have cost me just over ?500. Although I am doing the A2.
CBT ?130
Mornings training and afternoon Mod 1 ?130
Days training and following morning Mod 2 ?255

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 27-06-11, 04:34 PM   #40
lawrence-zs180

thats not bad... I have ford air field to practice on so hopefully it shouldn't be to bad.
how daft is this.. a years insurance for the rf with no ncd and its my first bike is ?230..