theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 16-05-11, 02:08 PM   #1
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Jays bike project

Its not a zed I know, hell its not even a car but though it might be of intrest to some.

Pick up this reck about a month ago. That has been sat in the garden whilst I got my exams out the way. Its a 1989 VFR400. Bit of a classic, V4 engine with about 59bhp not loads but when you consider this one is around 175kg. Power per tonne is pretty decent Was looking at ZXRs (baby ninjas) but the single sided swing arm made me get this one. The Tyga bodykit that transforms it to a modern looking bike was a big brucey bonus
Seems its been off the road or in a half build form for quite a while. I bought it off a lad who had planned to rebuild it but had failed. So fingers crossed I have better luck with it.

Had a budget which Ive already blow on parts Oh well budgets are only there to be broken!

Bodywork obviously needs alot of work, that doesnt phase me in the slightest. The engines are said to be bullet proof but have ordered full gasket set.

Anyway got my last exam tomorrow and so will then be stripping it right back to the frame and start from the base up. Not sure the gf quite knows what she has let herself in for as there are going to be parts everywhere!!
Got the ibis white ready to go.

...Updated 19/05................................................ .................................................. ...................................

Made a start on the bike today, got the fiddly bits off. Cant do much more untill I get some more sockets as need a 36mm to for the wheel nut, 41mm for top yoke and a 46mm axle and a locking nut tool for the swingarm. I dont understand why manufactures use such random sizes.

2012 BMW 320d Sport

Last edited by Jay-ZS+; 16-08-12 at 10:43 PM.
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-11, 02:09 PM   #2
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Will be updated

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 16-05-11, 02:09 PM   #3
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
Will be updated
+1

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 16-05-11, 02:10 PM   #4
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
Will be updated
^^^^^^^This^^^^^^

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 16-05-11, 04:31 PM   #5
ramdonice

ramdonice is on a distinguished road
wish i had a bike liecence and a bike but no spare funds and dont look like i ever will

be good to see this finish mate will be a good one
Old 16-05-11, 05:55 PM   #6
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Good luck with it pal .... If you get that end result - you will be the envy of the Sunday ride !
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-11, 06:03 PM   #7
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Cheers guys gonna be a learning curve thats for sure. Ive told the missus that Im booking the kitchen table for the next month

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 16-05-11, 06:13 PM   #8
marts66
Site Supporter

marts66 is on a distinguished road
These little 400s are great. I had a GSXR400R many years ago and it scared a few bigger capacity bikes in its time. Handled like a dream, turned heads everywhere and was generally a hoot. Hope you get it sorted mate, it'll give you so much fun when it's done.

Sarcasm....the lowest form of humour and the highest form of vulgarity.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

TF135 cams, 52mm throttle body, PECO SS catback, K&N Apollo, PAYEN headgasket, Tinted rear lenses, HID 6000k headlights, 100w mains, citroen washers, grooved discs with Mintex redbox pads, Sony Xplod + USB + 10 disc changer, sub + amp, one off alloy bonnet badge, rear headrests and the beat goes on...
marts66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-11, 06:27 PM   #9
Drew

Drew has a spectacular aura aboutDrew has a spectacular aura about
like it. id go single can, maybe a stubby.

Drew
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-11, 06:44 PM   #10
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Yer I agree Drew would prefer to go single can, although it would require replacing the whole system as its currently 2 seperate exhaust each one goes straight through to 2 cylinders each. So gonna spruce up the current one to get it on the road. Then once funds allow go for a single system with a carbon end can something like an Akrapovic system would be nice.

Was browsing youtube the other day and found a video of the exact bike. The exhaust does sound nice, I looked at replacing the cans as one is blowing slightly. Trouble is they were only in production for a very short time and seems they are quite sort after so gonna have to patch this one up for the time being. Had a look at past MOT seems the last 3 have flagged up the exhaust as loud! Have to find a sound tester i think.

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMPi4J7-JqA

2012 BMW 320d Sport