theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 24-06-15, 04:23 PM   #31
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
In 2003 I was driving a ZS 180 I had borrowed.

I was racing some motorbike up a A road, there was a roundabout, we both went around the roundabout and BOOOOM

51 plate ZS180 bottom end smashed through.

Back then the oil pick up used to become lose, however it was not.

Unexplaned, perhaps the oil picked up around the roundabout, it shouldnt have...

The cars back then were so new, i did not know what was going to happen, lucky mg warranted it.
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-15, 07:16 PM   #32
jc600

jc600 is on a distinguished road
Another thing, is I wonder if people let the engine warm up before thrashing it.

WWW.JCTUNING.CO.UK

MK2 MG ZS 180
jc600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-15, 12:23 AM   #33
6282tom

6282tom is on a distinguished road
I changed the oil and filter on my V6 2 weeks ago and installed the filter dry. Have done this 4 times on current zed (currently 98,000 miles) and 3 times on previous zed (55,000 miles) and never had any problems. Reading this thread I might start priming the filter, pulling the fuel pump relay and spinning the engine on the starter motor in the future! Does 'priming' mean brim the filter before installing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
I'm wondering how long the oil pressure takes to build up if you install the filter dry, and don't put the oil light out on the starter.
Consistently 3-4 seconds on mine after a change before oil pressure light extinguishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc600 View Post
Another thing, is I wonder if people let the engine warm up before thrashing it.
Always essential to do this. I don't go over 3000 rpm before it's up to temperature.
6282tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-15, 05:51 AM   #34
sneekyparrot

sneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the rough
Just a punt but there does seem to be a small weakness in that area of the engine. Are we not seeing failures in Cyl 1/2 be it nasp or the charged motors??

mind u 100.000 mile engines have an awful amount of time over the years to build up small issues that lead to failure.

Any of the racers out there run baffled sumps??

I have built a few Car and Bike engines and touch wood none have ever failed, well yet

Read loads of books from tuners etc and always followed these rules:

1. Meticulious build prep.
2. check , check and check again next day.
3. Every oil change is with new primed filter or car spun over with no fire to build some flow / pressure.
4. Run in is fast and hard.
5. Engines are always / always completely warmed up before a good thrashing. I dont mean as soon as the temp gauge comes off RED

used ZX1 metal treament for years, as ever theres always those that say its crap but its a habit i got into and well for what it costs i'll stick with it

Looking at that motor i would say Pete has hit nail on head. Old thick contaminated oil was prob taking up the uber small tolerences in the bearings, nice new and thinner oil opened them up leading to boom

just my 5 cents :-)

P.
Old 25-06-15, 04:35 PM   #35
JZS

JZS is on a distinguished road
I got him to register, we can get the finer details
JZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-15, 04:44 PM   #36
Scott-Biomorphic

Scott-Biomorphic is on a distinguished road
Right ok ladies and gents, the owner is now here, thanks for taking an interest in her, she blew up without warning and it looks like she threw a rod from number 1 which subsequently took out number 2. She had an oil change 600 miles ago and was about to do another to flush it all through, ii should have primed the engine properly in accordance to MG Rover specs but i didnt, i filled the oil filter and then the oil and started her up, never had a problem doing it this way before.

any questions welcome guys will supply piics of the damage and how she sits now if anyone is interested

Regards
Scott
Scott-Biomorphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-15, 05:18 PM   #37
Scott-Biomorphic

owww, it wont let me post my pics because they are too large and i dont know how to compress them, anyway, it doesnt matter too much, the good news is that i should have a good replacement engine here next week, the one ii am eyein up has 98k but FSH, got cambelts and waterpump ready to go on too, also, i have fitted all round electric windows, and have a set of heated alcantara leather seats and Xpower springs on their way from a friend in Germany, i have already put 2 and a half times what i paid for the car into it and it was a 4 figure sum i paid in the first place as a Cat C, Non Runner, the plan is over the next 2 years to restore the car to a near Mint condition and to upgrade and replace where necessary, also have a dark ice designs hydraulic clutch kit on there.

anyway im off to work, nice to see a few names i recognise too on here, and thanks for the support for my car!!
Old 25-06-15, 05:49 PM   #38
M17TT180

M17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-Biomorphic View Post
owww, it wont let me post my pics because they are too large and i dont know how to compress them, anyway, it doesnt matter too much, the good news is that i should have a good replacement engine here next week, the one ii am eyein up has 98k but FSH, got cambelts and waterpump ready to go on too, also, i have fitted all round electric windows, and have a set of heated alcantara leather seats and Xpower springs on their way from a friend in Germany, i have already put 2 and a half times what i paid for the car into it and it was a 4 figure sum i paid in the first place as a Cat C, Non Runner, the plan is over the next 2 years to restore the car to a near Mint condition and to upgrade and replace where necessary, also have a dark ice designs hydraulic clutch kit on there.

anyway im off to work, nice to see a few names i recognise too on here, and thanks for the support for my car!!
Hello Scott my engine is still here as a back up.

Lots of second- hand parts click HERE
Project Typhoon
M17TT180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-15, 05:56 PM   #39
Scott-Biomorphic

Is that you Wayne or is it Matt? Lol if I can't get this engine from Jason simm quick enough I will be chatting to you bud. Just want to make sure it's not going to do the same as the last one
Old 25-06-15, 06:01 PM   #40
M17TT180

M17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-Biomorphic View Post
Is that you Wayne or is it Matt? Lol if I can't get this engine from Jason simm quick enough I will be chatting to you bud. Just want to make sure it's not going to do the same as the last one
I'm sure my username is a bit of a giveaway!!

Lots of second- hand parts click HERE
Project Typhoon
M17TT180 is offline   Reply With Quote