theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 17-08-11, 07:17 PM   #61
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Well it RUNS.....well kinda
Finally made it to the point where fuel could be added to the bike after rebuilding everything!!

I rivetted the new carbon tubes on to make up the end cans and got them fitted leaving nothing but hitting the start button!

Went to start it with the kill switch on, turned it over till the oil light went out. Then tried it on run, turned over but didnt want to fire, then could smell petrol, turns out it was pissing out the holes on the bottom of the carbs as had failed to do the screws up.
So carbs off, and tightened them up and tried again. Still nothing so left it for a while as figured it was prob flooded. After 5 mins or so had another go this time it fired up with choke on full and idled nicely.

Got a fair bit of smoke out of the headers and the cans but that died down after a while and it ran pretty well considering ive not balanced the carbs fully .

Although heres where the problem is I take the choke off it dies, touch the throttle and it dies. Didnt do it initally as I blipped the throttle a few times just out of excitment and it was fine but now touch it and it the revs drop and it cuts out. Reckon it must be running rich and its just flooding.

So decided to leave it tonight and get some of the body work on, Still needs some touching up and buffing in places but its definatly coming together now! Tailunit is not fulled fitted just slid into place. For an aftermarket kit it fits pretty well

2012 BMW 320d Sport

Last edited by Jay-ZS+; 16-08-12 at 10:40 PM.
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-11, 07:22 PM   #62
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
If I could get you on a bikesafe course .... Freebie .... Would you be interested ?
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-11, 07:24 PM   #63
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Yer definately I hear that they are some of the best spend days, would have to get the thing running right first though!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 17-08-11, 07:32 PM   #64
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
Well it RUNS
Well done, been watching this thread with a keen interest. this was the bike i used to covet when i was 17 [92] and riding around on NSR 125's.

Quote:
ive not balanced the carbs fully.
Could this be the problem? are there diaphrams in the carbs? the tiniest hole, even like a pin hole will cause that kind of stall.
Old 17-08-11, 07:47 PM   #65
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG ZS STE View Post
Could this be the problem? are there diaphrams in the carbs? the tiniest hole, even like a pin hole will cause that kind of stall.
Ive balanced them by using a 'drill bit method' So all the carbs are roughly balanced although not done it using a vacuum gauge.

Did look over the diaphrams and didnt notice anything. Got to be carb related. Pity they are burried in the middle of the dam thing!! Will have to wip the off and investigate.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 17-08-11, 07:56 PM   #66
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Yer definately I hear that they are some of the best spend days, would have to get the thing running right first though!
Let me know when you're ready and Ill see what I can do.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-11, 07:58 PM   #67
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Let me know when you're ready and Ill see what I can do.
Cheers Dan that would be great

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 22-09-11, 09:22 AM   #68
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Well its on the road

Flew through the MOT only things the guy could pick me up on was the lack of rear brake fluid resevoir using a simple tube with a bung like they used to in the GP as with the bodykit have nowhere to mount a bottle. Also the fact that I dont have front sidelights which is something I will sort out.

The only down side is that its running MEGA rich smoking like a train. Just taken it to a dyno to get it tested and its off the scale!! Little unsure as to why as ive fitted the jets recommended for the spec of bike but thats something thats easy enough to sort. Its making pretty decent power to considering the amount of fuel its being flooded with.

2012 BMW 320d Sport

Last edited by Jay-ZS+; 16-08-12 at 10:40 PM.
Old 22-09-11, 10:49 AM   #69
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
I've only just seen this thread, and must say: that's the best VFR400 I've ever seen!
Actually it's virtually unrecognisable as a VFR400 because of the bodykit (which normally would be a bad thing), but it makes it look like the bike that Honda WOULD have turned it into if they'd kept producing and developing it.
The colour scheme looks even better than your original artist's impression - the black bits make the fairing almost disappear, so it looks really minimalist.
The twin exhausts set it off too, and well done with the work done on the brakes and the choice of tyres. It's always good to have as much as possible to help to get you out of the trouble that 400s can get you into!
Some handlebar-end weights will add a little stability and finish off the looks. Oh and don't underestimate the value of mirrors, even if you do end up flapping your elbows like a chicken trying to use them! The first time you spot a cop car in them, they'll pay for themselves, and meanwhile it'll reduce the number of cricked necks from all the "lifesavers".

I still have my old GSXR400 in my garage, although it's many years since I got it back after it was stolen and recovered, and it needs the same sort of TLC that you've given your new baby. It may not be the best bike I ever owned, but it's the one I loved the most, and I thought it was perfect for British roads.
I did about 50,000 miles on that bike in the time that I had it, including trips to the South of France, trackdays, Sunday blasts and the drudgery of commuting. It was the first bike that I got my knee down on (as well as my shoulder a few times! ), and the bike I passed my IAM test on.
In fact I'd highly advise getting in touch with your local IAM group, as what they can teach you about hazard awareness and bike control will save you loads of money and possibly even your life. Couple that with a few trackdays to find out what a bike is really capable of in the right environment and you can discover a totally new way of life. God I miss it!

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-11, 07:46 PM   #70
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Thanks for the compliment Ive since fitted decals and mirrors to the bike and they finish it off nicely. Got a mate whos had a run of 400s and just bought a GSXR600 and he says he'd prefer a 400 anyday. They are bikes that you learn how to ride through the corners it seems!

2012 BMW 320d Sport