theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 22-04-12, 08:51 PM   #11
Fred68

Fred68 has a spectacular aura aboutFred68 has a spectacular aura about
The factory 180 air filter was designed for the 2 liter 45 so is to small for the 2.5 Kv6 also being mounted behind the rad is subject to excess heat soak so a kind of double whammy for power production !!
Fred68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-12, 09:47 PM   #12
James Raby

James Raby will become famous soon enough
Kirk, yes - talk to me

Fred, aware of this but can't see what suggestion you're making?
James Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-12, 11:15 PM   #13
KirkJames

KirkJames will become famous soon enough
Yeah will do mate, provided the damn MOT doesn't end up costing me an arm and a leg.
Should be getting a bonus from work tho so should still be able to get it done.

Last edited by KirkJames; 22-04-12 at 11:17 PM.
KirkJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-12, 11:19 AM   #14
Fred68

Fred68 has a spectacular aura aboutFred68 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Raby View Post
Kirk, yes - talk to me

Fred, aware of this but can't see what suggestion you're making?
The point is not to bother wasting your money with a simple panel filter replacement in the factory housing as there is not enough filter area for maximum power and what air does get through has it's power producing ability further reduced due to heat soak!! Better to go for the remote filter as mentioned!! The cost is comparable!!

Last edited by Fred68; 23-04-12 at 11:32 AM.
Fred68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-12, 12:22 PM   #15
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
Ok, i replaced the standard paper filter for a greens cotton filter. Gutted the resinator box [removed internal baffles] removed the pipe at the back and blocked it off. drilled around a dozen 12mm diameter holes underneath the resinator box just in case water did get in. opened up the front to be directly behind the fog bezel. opened up the fog bezel and meshed. Run a scangauge permanently on the car and the IA temp is usualy a couple of degress higher than that outside the car as indicated on the climatronic. before doing this i would observe the IA temp running into the high 40's, especially in traffic, and it just wouldnt come down once it was that high.

Old 23-04-12, 05:55 PM   #16
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I took a different approuch -

I moved the battery to the boot
and
fitted a BMC CDA in it's place with a 90' bend from the throttle body and another 90' down to the opening in the chassis leg (if you've not seen the hole it is mirrored by the one the washer tank sits in). This has moved the filter and inlet pipes away from the radiator.

One day I'll link the throttle bypass to this set up but at the moment it has a small filter on it drawing air from the engine bay.

I've been running a scangauge since before doing this and have seen a considerable improvement in inlet tempretures. Before it would not cool down once temps had got up, since it will run at 5' above ambiant tempreture when moving, I once even saw 60' while driving around the local resort town near my mother-in-laws in Spain, as soon as we hit the motorway it starts to drop and reaches the 5' above with in 2 miles.

Interestingly the first year I ran this set up I still had the resonator box fitted to the car but not connected and had assumed it would interfere with airflow, however once I had the opertunity to remove it I found that the inlet temp would raise quicker and drop more slowly, next step is to fit a baffle below the chassis leg to keep the warm air out of the under arch area.

You may be able to get an idea from my avaitar.

Old 26-04-12, 10:08 PM   #17
Adamzs180

Adamzs180 will become famous soon enough
Where did you get the carbon engine cover from?
Adamzs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-12, 05:30 AM   #18
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
eBay, I think this is the only one as they wern't selling very fast.